Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm moving to an apartment from a house. Long story. Anyway, The apt complex itself is very nice, even gated. The problem is the surrounding area has some very low income housing. Not to stereo type, but I drove through there, its ghetto. So, since i have put the time and money into installing a nav/dvd HU and some subs, I'm now looking at getting an alarm. Any recommendations? Does the 05 already have a factory security system? I haven't tried to open the doors after they have been locked. Any help is appreciated.

·
on line
2,125 Posts
it should have a factory one but if u want to hide ure head unit then there is a cheap, but effective mod that i believe entails a notebook cover or something... can some one help me out? lol

·
on line
1,123 Posts
With the recent theft (and recovery) of my rig, I spent a fair amount of time looking into alarms. Of course, no alarm would have stopped them from getting my truck since they had the keys. The Xterra has a security system. If you lock the doors with the remote, and then open a door without using the remote or a key, the horn will start beeping. If someone smashed a window and then reached inside to open the door, they'd set off the alarm.

If you want more then you either need an aftermarket system or you need to splice additional sensors into the OEM system. I was considering getting a pager system from AutoPage, but I'm not sure it would be worth the extra installation hassles and expense.

My plan (once I get my truck back from the shop) is to add a proximity sensor, a voice siren, and maybe some other sensors to the OEM system. I'll rig the add-on stuff to activate a relay that will take one of the door oin switches to ground. This will make the system think that a door was opened while the alarm was armed and the siren will sound.

·
on line
27 Posts
although i have not done this on my X yet, my old truck had a simple relay inline with the starter wire under the dash.

It was a basic starter kill. Unless you turned the headlights on, the truck would not start. I have see these tied into the wiper switch, rear window defogger switches, hidden switches or pretty much anything else you can think of.

That way, even if they have your keys and alarm remote, they still need to know what other switch needs to be flipped in order to start the vehicle.

VERY cheap, VERY easy to install and quite effective until they start hitting every button and switch they can find

·
on line
1,123 Posts
sherpa said:
kneebuster said:
.....The Xterra has a security system. If you lock the doors with the remote, and then open a door without using the remote or a key, the horn will start beeping. If someone smashed a window and then reached inside to open the door, they'd set off the alarm.....
I am confused. So, is this feature in every X by default?
I assumed so, but guess that I shouldn't. The service manual describes it, but doesn't indicate it's just an option. It says that when the alarm is armed, if you open any door before unlocking the door with key or keyfob, or unlock a door without using key or keyfob, then the alarm will activate.

I tried it in mine last year and set off the alarm. Try it yourself. Lock yourself in your truck using your remote. Wait 30-60 seconds and then open the door without using a key or your remote to unlock it.

·
on line
641 Posts
kneebuster said:
sherpa said:
kneebuster said:
.....The Xterra has a security system. If you lock the doors with the remote, and then open a door without using the remote or a key, the horn will start beeping. If someone smashed a window and then reached inside to open the door, they'd set off the alarm.....
I am confused. So, is this feature in every X by default?
I assumed so, but guess that I shouldn't. The service manual describes it, but doesn't indicate it's just an option. It says that when the alarm is armed, if you open any door before unlocking the door with key or keyfob, or unlock a door without using key or keyfob, then the alarm will activate.

I tried it in mine last year and set off the alarm. Try it yourself. Lock yourself in your truck using your remote. Wait 30-60 seconds and then open the door without using a key or your remote to unlock it.
Will give it a try today after I get off work! :)

·
on line
628 Posts
stereo_freak1 said:
although i have not done this on my X yet, my old truck had a simple relay inline with the starter wire under the dash.

It was a basic starter kill. Unless you turned the headlights on, the truck would not start. I have see these tied into the wiper switch, rear window defogger switches, hidden switches or pretty much anything else you can think of.

That way, even if they have your keys and alarm remote, they still need to know what other switch needs to be flipped in order to start the vehicle.

VERY cheap, VERY easy to install and quite effective until they start hitting every button and switch they can find
I kind of like this idea. Would it be possible to put some switches in the blanks next to the 4WD. They wouldn't really do anything, but wire them to where they had to be in certain positions (like a combination lock) to activate. That way I can choose to either "lock or unlock" the ignition.

·
on line
1,044 Posts
My X has had its windows busted three times not once did the alarm go off. X alarms only go off when the doors are being opened.

·
on line
1,044 Posts
stereo_freak1 said:

more info on this please a link perhaps?

·
on line
962 Posts
yeah, many times i will lock the X without closing the door on accident, and when I open the door to get back in, the alarm goes off and the whole 9 yards...it usually takes a while to reset it since I have an aftermarket alarm...it's a PITA

·
on line
443 Posts
I can tell you, the stock one doesnt do much if all the do is break a window and reach in to get what ever they want...like my Navi. :( I am looking at getting something like this: http://www.autoalarmpro.com/oem_alarm_add_on_sensor

just adds shock sensor...I think its a good idea.

·
on line
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
xterraguy4life Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:44 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it should have a factory one but if u want to hide ure head unit then there is a cheap, but effective mod that i believe entails a notebook cover or something... can some one help me out? lol
Yeah, I've been thinking about that too, but I want it to look very clean. Like it came from the factory that way. I've even thought about trying to take the face off the factory unit and somehow mock up a way for it to cover the nav unit when its parked. still looking for ideas about that, along with the alarm

·
on line
432 Posts
cowboy119 said:
I drove through there, its ghetto.
Ahahah. :cheers:

I'm saving for one of the Viper alarm systems with the remote start. That way I get 2 things I want in one. I like the Viper stuff. Over one mile range and the key fob vibrates and beeps if your alarm or certain other things happen while you are away from the truck. Also has AUX channels so I can rig my lights, AC, etc to activate on key press from a mile away. :)

http://www.viper.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=103

- Russell

·
on line
1,574 Posts
i was also looking into a add on sensor. but i was looking for perimater protection also, not just shock. like if someone comes withen 3 feet itll cherp, quiely. you kno, scare the ladies at walmart before they ding my door. iv seen them with a modual in the cab where you can adjust the sensitivity. very cool.
anyone kno if they make a OEM add on for this?

·
on line
2,004 Posts
kneebuster said:
With the recent theft (and recovery) of my rig, I spent a fair amount of time looking into alarms. Of course, no alarm would have stopped them from getting my truck since they had the keys. The Xterra has a security system. If you lock the doors with the remote, and then open a door without using the remote or a key, the horn will start beeping. If someone smashed a window and then reached inside to open the door, they'd set off the alarm.

If you want more then you either need an aftermarket system or you need to splice additional sensors into the OEM system. I was considering getting a pager system from AutoPage, but I'm not sure it would be worth the extra installation hassles and expense.

My plan (once I get my truck back from the shop) is to add a proximity sensor, a voice siren, and maybe some other sensors to the OEM system. I'll rig the add-on stuff to activate a relay that will take one of the door oin switches to ground. This will make the system think that a door was opened while the alarm was armed and the siren will sound.
the voice siren, reminds of a fresh prince of bel air episode way back when.

Where Will see's this mercedes with a voice siren. he comes up to it, and it say s "Please step away from the car" he gets amuzed. but when a cop comes up and asks what he's doing, the car doesn't say anything. only the alarm goes off, after will gets arrested and dragged out of the area.

·
on line
1,123 Posts
125ina30zone said:
i was also looking into a add on sensor. but i was looking for perimater protection also, not just shock. like if someone comes withen 3 feet itll cherp, quiely. you kno, scare the ladies at walmart before they ding my door. iv seen them with a modual in the cab where you can adjust the sensitivity. very cool.
anyone kno if they make a OEM add on for this?
That's the proximity sensor that I picked up. It has separate sensitivity adjustments for inside and out. I got one made by DEI (makers of Viper and other alarms) on ebay. It also has warn away and alarm outputs. I'll wire the warn away to the voice module and alarm to the OEM alarm system.

·
on line
27 Posts
a simple google search for starter kill came up with all kinds of ideas

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page2.asp

Normally Open Starter Kill is basically what you are looking at.

the relay makes/ breaks the connection for the starter wire. The positive and negative to the relay can be made from any combination of sources.

Best example would be to connect the negative to a permanent ground, then connect the positive to a positive source through a hidden momentary switch, or directly to your headlight wires, etc...

Using a momentary switch is probably the best option since the relay is only powered on while you are pressing the button, thus extending the lifespan of the relay

·
on line
1,044 Posts
stereo_freak1 said:
a simple google search for starter kill came up with all kinds of ideas

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page2.asp

Normally Open Starter Kill is basically what you are looking at.

the relay makes/ breaks the connection for the starter wire. The positive and negative to the relay can be made from any combination of sources.

Best example would be to connect the negative to a permanent ground, then connect the positive to a positive source through a hidden momentary switch, or directly to your headlight wires, etc...

Using a momentary switch is probably the best option since the relay is only powered on while you are pressing the button, thus extending the lifespan of the relay
thanks bro

1 - 20 of 22 Posts