Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
The heck with gift wrapping, plain cardboard boxes work.

Some hardware to work with from a place I found called US cargo control.

Now just to find time to put it together...
Could you link to those tie downs? I'm not too strong with the googlefoo today

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well guys despite no updates for a while the project is far from dead. With temps dipping below 65 regularly I'm not able to paint or glue to apply the finishing touches, so I've had it on the back burner.

I've been thinking on the shelf design, I believe I've come up with some attachment ideas I think will work, I still need to double check some clearances. I don't like that it may obstruct my rear view some, but it will be mostly under my line of sight anyway if I don't pile stuff high on top of it. (I want it primarily for easy access stuff, jacket, food box, stuff like that.)

Right now I'm debating something. I have extra lighting in the roof for the cargo area, and I've been thinking the shelf, when installed, is going to make a black hole underneath it. I have to go into the panel where that roof lighting is connected soon anyway, I'm thinking of adding LED strip lighting to the underside of the shelf. I think I can pull it off with one small connector to unplug the shelf wiring, and keep most of the wiring largely hidden.

I'm also working on a parallel project, everyone with a fridge wants a slide it seems, but I had a slide so I wanted a fridge. On a whim I got a indel B TB18, which the thing that sold me on it was it's actually smaller than my cooler. For 7qt less interior space it is roughly 4" narrower, and not fooling with ice will be a welcome change. I'm going to have to add a direct wired power point in the rear for it, but I already have a 100Ah Odyssey 2150 battery that hopefully will cover the power consumption needs. (Plus lithium jump pack as a starting backup.)

Here is the latest photo I had, the slide is actually installed and in use right now, but I'm going to have to pull it to finish when the weather improves.

The shelf will likely be raised about 2" over the top of cooler height as sitting. My fridge is a shave taller than the cooler.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I'm with you on the black hole being a problem. I'd considered wiring in a strip like you're talking about and at the same time adding lighting to the hatch itself for lighting the ground below it. I'd also considered skipping having a wire run and just adding battery powered lighting to under the shelf since LEDs don't eat batteries very fast.

What I really wish I'd taken into account when I built my legs is the height of a propane tank. Thankfully they just clear under the rack, but only by about 1/2" and that makes it a real pain taking up to 5 20# tanks at a time to get refilled.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Somehow missed this before, but as Arte Johnson used to say; "Veeery Interesting! I especially like how the platform covers the underfloor compartment, leaving it accessible while doing away with that stupid lid.

I probably missed it in reading, but I assume those slides lock back into the closed position? Look forward to seeing this in person some day.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Somehow missed this before, but as Arte Johnson used to say; "Veeery Interesting! I especially like how the platform covers the underfloor compartment, leaving it accessible while doing away with that stupid lid.

I probably missed it in reading, but I assume those slides lock back into the closed position? Look forward to seeing this in person some day.
Yes that is a key feature I wanted, access to that underfloor area. It's a very useful area if you can actually get to it. Actually the platform sits a bit above floor level, so there is a bit more vertical room in the compartment now. You don't have to make sure everything is perfectly below level, that slide will squish flexible stuff down a bit. It either won't fit or the slide will make it fit, the slide is not going to float up if something is under it.

Yes they lock both in and out. To my amazement, they don't rattle either when driving.

You bet on seeing it in person, we are going to have to drive some more trails this year.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Awesome! Sounds like a plan.

How about raised, shaped, removable platforms that could be placed on either side in the event you want to take your rig on vacation and load tons of luggage back there? I find a flat, full across floor best for those occasions. The inserts could be removable when not needed.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Made a bit of progress yesterday. I'm not quite as happy with the rack mounting as I hoped, it's sturdy but I'm worried about vibration.

I haven't attached the rack to the legs yet.

Here are some pics of a possible loaded configuration for camping trips. Straps would be added to hold everything in place.

·
NewX’er 4life
2,441 Posts
Made a bit of progress yesterday. I'm not quite as happy with the rack mounting as I hoped, it's sturdy but I'm worried about vibration.

I haven't attached the rack to the legs yet.

Here are some pics of a possible loaded configuration for camping trips. Straps would be added to hold everything in place.
Which rack are you referring to? The shelf that slides out, or the cargo rack above it? I like your configuration. You also can still leave stuff in the cubby hole.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thats looking good man. I had played with the idea of using one of those racks as a platform for a bit. Looks like your way ahead of me. Would be a part of my drawer unit so the whole thing can be removed quick when needed. Nice work

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Which rack are you referring to? The shelf that slides out, or the cargo rack above it? I like your configuration. You also can still leave stuff in the cubby hole.
The elevated cargo rack. I have it held with 4 bolts. I think what I see as flimsiness is the fact I don't have the top welded in which should add lateral stability, and I didn't have all 4 mounting bolts secured. I used angle iron top and bottom to try and gain some strength without having to weld in gussets.

The top rack shares the slides mounting bolts, and should be equally usable attached to the slide or can be used without it.

Cold weather is still slowing me up, I really want to get the carpet glued on the slide, that plywood is slick as snot. I keep my tool bags in the back and even with a strap over them they slide around, the carpet should eliminate the need to cinch them down so tight just to keep them from sliding.

I got a bunch of stuff from superbrightleds.com for illuminating the bottom side of the rack, going to make it plug in at the rear right corner from a hidden wire if I can.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Finally I'm calling it done! Only took me what, 6 months or so....

Carpet is in, shelf is made, lights are wired. I even added MOLLE compatible mounting strips on the sides.

Now I'm enjoying a cold Kentucky made cherry Ale8 in celebration.

Thanks everyone for participating in my project with comments and encouragement.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts