Username: Airmapper
Year: 2011
Make: Nissan
Model: Xterra
Trim: PRO-4X
Transmission: 6 speed manual
Color: Super Black

Current Mods:

Blacked out front grille (Removed Plasti-dip, used Krylon Fusion Spring 2015)

Removed Mud flaps

Added laptop mount (8-12-12) Link to Post

Added RAM Tablet mount point to dash top tray Spring 2015

Plasti-Dipped rear bumper.

Diff breather mod (11/4/12) LINK to Post

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's
265/75/16 Load E (Installed 1/18/13)
Now on 33"s!
285/75/16 Load E (Installed 5/1/15)

CB Radio Install
Midland 75-855 & 3' Firestik II

Insert style roof rack build (Summer 2014): Link to thread

Interior Cargo lighting. (Finished 2/14/15)
6 Oznium LED bolts, 16mm size, no lens, cool white (6000k)
4 installed in interior, 2 installed inside the hatch door as "work lights"
2 switches (On-Off-On) control the interior and work lights independently.

On: Stay on indefinitely as long as the door is open.
Off: Off, no matter what.
Auto: Uses BCM to time out with stock lighting.

Photos:

Dealer pics:

Added Spring 2015

Odyssey Group 31 Battery

Winch Mount from RockyMtnX
Smittybilt XRC8
Amsteel Blue 3/8" Synthetic line, Cordura sleeve
Aluminum Hawse Fairlead and Safety Thimble II with Bumper

Added Summer 2015

Airflow Snorkel
Offroad Gorilla Hood Shock Kit

As it is now:

And the master photo album, which will get updated with new pics as soon as I take them is always here:
[/CENTER]

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Nice lookin X dude! Love the stealthed grill for the 09+ models. I think they shoulda come with the grill black from the factory...

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments everyone, trying to check out everyone build threads.

Installed my laptop mount today, had it in my previous vehicle and it was a universal type mount. Managed to get it in and it not interfere with seat operation. Should work with or without a passenger, but looks like it's going to be perfect with the seat folded down.

I have a USB GPS cord, primary use for the laptop in the vehicle is moving map navigation. I need a cable for the AUX port so I can run sound from the laptop and hear the voice directions from the nav software.

I also have a USB OBDII cord, haven't tried hooking them up yet, the OBDII port location on the X isn't ideal and my plug isn't exactly low profile.

It detaches at the mounting point, so the whole mount can get stowed and the boot stays on the seat bolt, so it is quick change.

The head is like a standard tripod mount, and can accept cameras and camcorders, but vibration is a big issue. You can preload it against the seat to help with that but it still comes through in the video.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I like that mount! I'm the solar yellow with no side molding in BGKY. There's another member on the forum that does have the side molding (BGXTERRA). Can't believe I haven't seen you yet!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys.

I like that mount! I'm the solar yellow with no side molding in BGKY. There's another member on the forum that does have the side molding (BGXTERRA). Can't believe I haven't seen you yet!
Cool! I'll keep my eyes peeled for you and wave real big. (Well I look for X's anyway, I'll just look extra hard at yellow ones now.) If you see me around town and get a chance introduce yourself. I think I'm the only X in town with mickey mouse lights on top.

Now you mention it I seen a yellow 2nd Gen in BG not long after I got it, don't remember if it had trim. Didn't really have a chance to wave or anything but kinda noticed he was checking my X out as I was looking at his. It was near the new Wal-mart like 3 weeks ago maybe?

A tire up grade and your set.. :)

Like it man!
Yes, definitely need a tire upgrade. I hate these stock tires, and I'm a BFG fan. I'm thinking I'll get Duratrac's, I think it's the best looking tire, if I get over my previous misgivings for Goodyear.

·
Same Country as Bucksnort
14,613 Posts
This may be the slowest build thread ever, but it's got to start somewhere and the beginning is a good place. Right now it is as stock as they come. I think it would be interesting to document the entire lifetime of the vehicle.

bought mine in 2005 with the idea of modding it slowly. it has now been 7 years later. Take your time. :)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I didn't like the back end not matching the front end, so I Plasti-dipped the rear bumper. I'm not a big fan of that silvery color anyway. I want a Maxterra bumper so I think of it as temporary.

I also discovered in my first off road trip I not only scraped the trailer plug, it actually broke. It's been a while but I didn't notice the crack until I was down there taping around it. Dumb Nissan for sticking it there...... and it looks like it will run me $60 to replace it if I decide to. It's not hurt functionally so I'm leaving it, but when I get the new bumper one day I'll probably want to get one that isn't broken. (And won't get hit again once it's in a better location.)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That looks like the whole mounting plate broke off the trailer hitch and got welded back on.
I think that's just where it's rusting. There is paint on top the weld matching the rest of the hitch. It got a little more rust when I bent that plate a little and it chipped paint off.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
There are a few people including myself that have relocated their traile plugs into the actual bumper, there is also a great how to for doing this. I had to change out my plug earlier this year after it had gotten packed with sand and water with out me noticing ( found out when my camper's breaks wouldn't work)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
There are a few people including myself that have relocated their traile plugs into the actual bumper, there is also a great how to for doing this. I had to change out my plug earlier this year after it had gotten packed with sand and water with out me noticing ( found out when my camper's breaks wouldn't work)
I wouldn't mind doing that, but since I got planned to get a rear bumper at some point, I'm think I'll leave it alone to preserve it's resale value. Since I plasti-dipped it, I can peel that off and have an OEM rear bumper and trailer hitch to sell off and reclaim a bit of what I spend, at least that's the idea anyway. :scratch:

Not exactly mods, but I done some maintenance today.

Fresh oil, Mobil 1 full Synthetic. :drink:
Nissan oil Filter.
New Air filter
Removed wheel locks, put the standard lugs on. (Before they keep ME from getting the wheels off. :tard: )

[Don't come steal my wheels now, I protect them in other ways. :whax: ] :tongue:

A good washing.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One mod off the list, the rear diff breather extension is done.

Went without a hitch, although I'm worried about a few things, I think I'm mostly just paranoid.

Here is the fitting I got, the often mentioned part number it never hurts to repeat (see red circle.) Ordered it from my local Nissan dealer, was about $7 with a clamp I didn't use. (Get it without the clamp if the they suggest one, it's too big.)

A stop at Advance Auto and I had the rest of the parts I needed, I got 13ft of vacuum hose, and cut a few feet off in the end, and this little fuel filter to keep stuff out of the tube:

The stock breather valve came out okay, it was tight but broke loose fairly easy. (I love working on a newish vehicle for a change...) I cleaned around the threads with a stiff brush, but it was still a bit dirty once it was out. Instead of trying to clean it with the fitting out, I got the new one in before cleaning it further. I had left my new fitting in the freezer overnight, several folks claimed it was difficult to start, even with freezing, but in my case it went in easily.

Here is the old stock breather valve, I feel better with this off there:

And the new fitting installed:

I went for behind the passenger tail light for my breather, it was easy to get to. Water does drain in this area so I looped it over so the filter points down, a fuel filter should prevent water passing through, but in this position I doubt much will get to it. Routing the hose took some thought. There are handy pairs of holes in the frame rails that make excellent spots for zip ties, I left plenty of slack for axle travel and possible future lifts, but you have to watch that it does not want to interfere with the brake lines or leaf spring area.

I'll check over it again after driving with it a while to see if any issues arise. I did test the axle travel in a ditch and it appears to have plenty of room to move without binding.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Lookin good man. I'll keep an eye on your build cause mine is also a DD. How is the plasti-dip holding up on the grille and bumper?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts