Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question.... when out in the desert, sandy roads, dunes, etc.... what air pressure do you run? I have 265/75R16's and was curious what people are airing down to, and in what situations. I've never done too much desert off roading and do not want to get into a sticky situation.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Most of the time when out with SCCX, i run about 20 PSI and have had no problems at all. Makes the ride so much softer. BFG AT's 265/75 hold up well except for the slight chunking of the knobs.

·
on line
750 Posts
I'm lazy..I don't air down unless it becomes absolutely necessary...ie sand et cetera.

·
on line
316 Posts
I ran my stock longtrails on 15psi when I went down to China Wall in park county and had no issues what so ever. almost popped the bead though when I went over a pretty sharp rock.

·
on line
358 Posts
You probably wont have any problems running 15-18 psi in a stock size tire. If you have the 17" wheel you will want more air.

Basicly, the bigger the sidewall the lower psi you can run. The more side load (hard, fast turns or steep off chamber trails) on the tire the higher psi you will want to run.

I know people who run 38" tires (15" wheel) at 9 psi on rocky trails with no problems. The new JK Rubicon has LT255/75R17 (dumb move) If you air them down to 15psi you wiill roll off a bead.

(Short sidewall = stiff sidewall)

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I run 285/75R16's and run 15psi most of the time. I will go down to 10-12 if needed.

I run about the same on my 35x12.50x15 Xterrain's on the jeep.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
20-25 psi usually. With stock meats, this should be plenty as the sidewalls are plenty soft and will provide a good footprint. A little more air will help if you are running a heavy load. The stiffer the tire, the more air you'll have to let out. I had a set of bias-ply Super Swamper TSLs on my old Samurai (very a very short time, I might add), and even at 10 psi, it looked like they were still at full street pressure.

But, I just got a set of Staun deflators for Christmas, so I'll probably just run around of the preset 18 psi from now on. :geek: I don't really see any reason to go lower than this with stock tires (sand, MAYBE).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts