Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What psi does everyone air down to? I've heard that for sand 10psi, rocks, mud, snow 15-20psi. What do you think? (stock size tires)

·
on line
975 Posts
I usually air down to about 18 on the trail.

·
on line
631 Posts
i ran 18psi in Moab on my 285s. and 12psi in 3 feet of snow. lower for snow so it "floats" on top

·
on line
1,792 Posts
For average trail running I air down to 18-20. But if I'm in a very low traction situation, I stop and go lower. Around 20, your contact patch doesn't change dramatically; at, say 12, you've really got much more meat on the ground.

12 and lower, though beware: here's where you can lose a bead, especially if you're twisted up in the rocks. Also, with a flattened sidewall, you're more vulnerable to sidewall tears.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I run 15psi in my 285/75R16 BFG MT's. I run this in snow, mud, rocks and dirt. Going lower can help in some situations, but as D-Rap said, you can run into bead popping problems.

And D-Rap is also correct that when you run aired down it will cause you sidewalls to buldge out and there for be a nice target for rocks.

·
on line
106 Posts
I feel 18 psi is a good control for your X depending on the terrain then once you have learned how your X reacts to that pressure adjust accordingly.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
I ran around Moab last week on 20 psi and it did the trick just fine; tires flexed nice and rode great on the washboard stuff. I'd be a little nervous about dropping much lower than that with stock tires and weak sidewalls... just seems unnecessary. Now a new set of meats with a stiffer sidewall is a different story, but the Rugged Trails seem to do well at 20 psi.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
RockyMtnX said:
I ran around Moab last week on 20 psi and it did the trick just fine; tires flexed nice and rode great on the washboard stuff. I'd be a little nervous about dropping much lower than that with stock tires and weak sidewalls...
Once you're talking stock tires I couldn't agree more. Play it safe, stay at 20 plus. The stockers are basically street tires.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
18 psi with the stock rugged trails around here. Lots of loose sand, a bit rocks, but mostly crossing rough rocky trails. My truck is an expedition SUV, not a rock crawler. Any lower and the 20-40 mile sprints at 40 mph between locations would be tough. Higher than that I'd start to worry about the shaper rocks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts