Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
Joined
·
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and couldnt find it. I know its here somewhere because i remember reading it.

So my airbag light is bliking (very annoying) and wont go off. How do you reset it?

I know its something like stick the key in and out a couple of times but i just cant seem to remember.

Thanks in advance.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
315 Posts
1. Put the key in the ignition, and turn to ON...it will turn on for around 6 seconds (give or take).
2. As soon as it starts to blink, turn the key off and take it out of the ignition.
3. Repeat 3 times
4. On the last time (4th all in all) it should turn on once you turn the key to ON (as it did the last 3 times) but then it should turn off and stay off. Sometimes I start the truck on this 4th time and that has worked for me as well.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
34 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
I did a search and couldnt find it. I know its here somewhere because i remember reading it.

So my airbag light is bliking (very annoying) and wont go off. How do you reset it?

I know its something like stick the key in and out a couple of times but i just cant seem to remember.

Thanks in advance.
Let me guess, you started getting that light right after you installed your new stereo? :p Same things just happened to me.

Good timing on this thread. Thanks for the solution, armandov99.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,217 Posts
Same thing happened after I got my amp installed. I still got the original head unit but installed an amp to power my sub. I'm going to upgrade later on.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,484 Posts
Ya Kokopop posted it deep, I moved it to How to under air bag light should be easier to find. Here is the reason. If you turn on the key while the air bag is unplugged it sets it. But nature of the game to try it out before you put it all back. Very annoying indeed. MC
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,938 Posts
lifeinthesouth said:
If you turn on the key while the air bag is unplugged it sets it
You have to unplug the airbag to install a stereo??
No. You have to unplug the indicator light when you remove the dash. I am guessing that it is part of the airbag circuit and thus causes the issue.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,407 Posts
What causes it is if you unplug it without unhooking your battery. If you unhook your battery first then you don't have that problem.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,484 Posts
B Slater said:
What causes it is if you unplug it without unhooking your battery. If you unhook your battery first then you don't have that problem.
Well sorta, yea. But if you unplug it and leave battery hooked it only sets if you turn key on while unplugged. However you are right in that if you do like you should and unplug Bat prior to any electrical work, you will never have the problem. I get lazy though because I hate the cheapo sorry azz strap terminals Jap products have on them. :)
 

·
on line
Joined
·
315 Posts
Also happened to me when I unplugged the wiring harness in the passenger seat, which I'm assuming is the one that tells the airbag when to turn off if the passenger is too light or not present.

And yes, if you disconnect the battery, you won't have this problem. The problem for me is that when I do my installations, I test everything BEFORE I put the truck back together, so I always get the light. But yeah, it's easy to fix!
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,484 Posts
Hey! There is a new one! The pass seat, that makes sense but I didn't think of that. Sometimes it's good to beat a topic to death eh? Learn something new every day. And I am same as you, I test before I put it back and sometimes several points along the way. I didn't get the Air bag light 1st install but got it on the ABS off install and that kinda ticked me off. Good thing the fix was here. MC
 

·
on line
Joined
·
15,651 Posts
armandov99 said:
Also happened to me when I unplugged the wiring harness in the passenger seat, which I'm assuming is the one that tells the airbag when to turn off if the passenger is too light or not present.

And yes, if you disconnect the battery, you won't have this problem. The problem for me is that when I do my installations, I test everything BEFORE I put the truck back together, so I always get the light. But yeah, it's easy to fix!
Obviously you have looked at the wiring in the passanger seat. I have not looked into it yet, but what do you think the chances are to be able to put a switch in that comes off the pressure sensor to allow you to turn off the airbag even if someone is sitting in the seat.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,938 Posts
Muzikman said:
Obviously you have looked at the wiring in the passanger seat. I have not looked into it yet, but what do you think the chances are to be able to put a switch in that comes off the pressure sensor to allow you to turn off the airbag even if someone is sitting in the seat.
Depends on how the switch works, but most likely yes. I would image the switch is normally open and closes when there is sufficient weight. Of course I could be thinking very simplistic and it could be much more complicated.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
15,651 Posts
kokopop said:
Muzikman said:
Obviously you have looked at the wiring in the passanger seat. I have not looked into it yet, but what do you think the chances are to be able to put a switch in that comes off the pressure sensor to allow you to turn off the airbag even if someone is sitting in the seat.
Depends on how the switch works, but most likely yes. I would image the switch is normally open and closes when there is sufficient weight. Of course I could be thinking very simplistic and it could be much more complicated.
That is my thought. I have not gone any further in the thought process than just that.

I need to have a way so that my passanger doesn't end up eating my laptop in an accident.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
315 Posts
I don't remember exactly, but I think the harness is bigger than the one in the driver's seat (which I assume is only for the seat belt sensor). I have no idea how that system works...but...considering the CAN system in the X (see the countless threads on the lack of a VSS wire), I wouldn't be surprised if they opted to send out a more complicated signal as a function of the weight and let the logic be handled elsewhere, rather than having a simple on/off switch IN the seat itself. Especially considering there's an indicator light in addition to actually disabling the airbag.

Read the FSM and you'd be surprised at how the simplest thing (like turning on a wiper, or just unlocking the doors) is going through like 3 computers and who knows how many wires...it's crazy.

f it were a normally open switch, then disconnecting the harness shouldn't make the truck pop off a warning, as it wouldn't notice anything different (unless I'm misunderstanding the 'normally open' part?). Since it DOES trigger the light, I think it's a little more complicated because it KNOWS something is disconnected.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,217 Posts
I added this to the How-To section and made it a sticky so it will now stay at the top and should be easy to find.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,484 Posts
dan galusha said:
I added this to the How-To section and made it a sticky so it will now stay at the top and should be easy to find.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Yea that is a common problem. Glad to see you drop in! MC
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top