Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put an air bag suspension on their X. I was thinking about seeing what this would require so that I could be up for off road, but drop back down for in the city.

I don't know much about these systems and was just thinking about it. Any suggestions on why to, why not to, experience, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
on line
358 Posts
The big problem with an adjustable height suspensin, especialy on IFS is that the alighnment changes as you change height.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
I know of a bolt on system I will send you the link when I get home

·
on line
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had not thought of the alignment going out when adjusting height. Thanks for that thought.

Please post the link, i would still like to research this and see if it is a feasible solution with my budget. If not, I may just end up going with a lift and try to avoid low parking garages.

Thanks everyone and keep the suggestions coming

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Air bags won't do you too much good off-road. They might give you lift, but they won't give you the flex that is important while off road.

Keep it to a mild suspension lift, stock size tires and no lights on the roof and you should clear most parking garages.

·
on line
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What would be a good mild suspension lift to go with? I looked at the lifts in the sticky, but I can't tell if they are all block, suspension, or a mixture of the 2. I'm sorry for all the questions, but I'm a complete newb to this stuff. Any pics, comments, links would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I just found the Calmini site listed and was looking at some of the stuff that they have to lift. It appears as thought I could do it in stages to help the budget and am hoping that people have positive reviews of their kits. Any thoughts?

·
on line
358 Posts
One thing that does help articulation with air bags, whether they are the main suspension or helpers, is to add a crossover tube linking the oppisite sides together. Also add a valve to close the line to minimize body lean on road.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Here is the Lift I told you about earlier
Linky

·
on line
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have realized after digging into more information that an air ride suspension is not what i ant to do, and now plan to just go with a basic suspension lift. I think I am going to do the http://www.purenissan.com/2_5_shackle_kit.htm Shackle Kit first. And of course get the http://www.purenissan.com/camber_kit.htm camber bolts. Then whenever the money becomes available, I will purchase and add on the http://www.purenissan.com/add-a-leaf_kit.htm Add-a-leaf kit. I would be purchasing this all from calamini and hope this seems like a good setup. If I don't receive any feedback on this system in this thread, I will be starting a new thread on this topic.

Of course, once this is all added, I will begin saving money to put on the shrockworks skid plates and maybe go for the bumper and rockers.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Where in West PA do you live?

I suggest the Shrock Sliders first, then the skidplates. I would get those before you get the bumpers.

Calmini kit isn't bad. There are just as good (or better) systems for cheaper money though. Poke around and do a few searches. Below are a few companies to search on.

PRG (Prerunner Greg)
AC (Automotive Customizers) (4x4parts.com)
Daystar
Deaver

·
on line
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I'll check out the other companies that you suggested. I live in New Wilmington, it's a small town about 10 miles from the grove city outlets.

·
on line
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I plan to do some offroading, nothing too extreme. I'll check out that site, may have to join up and come to a run with you guys sometime. I'll probably still have a stock X at that time though, so not sure how much I'll be able to do.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
A lot of the trails we run are stock friendly (or can be).

I am up in the Mercer / Grove City area on a regular basis (the GF's parents live up there).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts