Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
on line
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have this Air Raid filter on now. I know, I know, everyone said to buy that other one but I got a good deal on this and had it put in. I have a question: There is this piece of tube like 3-4 inches long coming off the fender side of the box thing.....what is that for? I thought it was for more air but when I look under the fender there aren't any holes or anything leading to it. :dontknow: Is there a way to direct more air to this thing to make it work even better?

·
on line
15 Posts
Melissa D. said:
e1eveN said:
Sounds like it might just be a breather or something.
can you put that into female-friendly terms, please, lol? :drunken:
If it's a breather it just lets whatever it's connected to equalize pressure instead of letting pressure build up. Like popping your ears. If that's the case it probably doesn't need to be connected to anything.

·
on line
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
e1eveN said:
Melissa D. said:
e1eveN said:
Sounds like it might just be a breather or something.
can you put that into female-friendly terms, please, lol? :drunken:
If it's a breather it just lets whatever it's connected to equalize pressure instead of letting pressure build up. Like popping your ears. If that's the case it probably doesn't need to be connected to anything.
AAAH. ok. where is this thing pulling air from then? the little box it's in has this rubber seal around it that when you close the hood looks like it makes it almost air tight. the only place it looks to get air from is this hole on the front siade of the box....but it doesn't look like the front grille even leads to it.

·
on line
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ProjectX said:

so which part are you trying to explain?
the little piece (tube) on the right side of the filter going into the fender.
where did u find that pic? is that your truck?

·
on line
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oz said:
Melissa D. said:
the little piece (tube) on the right side of the filter going into the fender.
That actually goes into a channel inside the fender which does indeed intake air
oh, ok. thanks. but didn't the original air filter do the same thing? if so, then exactly how is the air raid better than the original?

·
on line
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oz said:
well the orig was that big box, and this you can see that you have more surface area where the filter part is that flows better that the OEM - someone else can chime in if I'm not explaining this right
well that's good! at least i did, in fact, upgrade...at least a little, lol. i get this filter for 170 and they didn't charge me to put it in. the place didn't carry volant. i wish i could have gotten that one, but at least, i did upgrade some with this one.

·
on line
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the guy at the place showed me this little red thing that air riad makes that supposedly increses horsepower too. i forgot what it is called. if you guys know what i'm talking about....is it worth the effort?

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Oz pretty much nailed it. The concept is that having an open filter will supply more air to the truck when it needs it. I was surprised that the Air Raid kept that much of the original OEM intake though. Having the channel on the right side doesnt really make that much sense. I think it was just easier to leave it alone.

The Volant also utilizes the channel on the right side but it is enclosed so I can see why. Either way, an upgrade is an upgrade.

The next time you run your Xterra to empty, take note of the mileage before you fill up. Then run the X to empty again after you fill up and see how many miles you were able to get out of it with one filling. You should notice a small increase at least.

·
on line
874 Posts
I am working on using a rad hose to make a cool/cold air intake with my airaid set up...maybe doing it at the mod day in april up here!

·
on line
3,285 Posts
Melissa D.,

It is an upgrade - as long as you don't do any extreme mudding or deep river crossings. In these cases, it would become a liability because it would get clogged with mud easier, or it would let in water easier.

BTW, check your Private Messages (PMs).

-Ted

1 - 20 of 42 Posts