Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an air horn in their X? I'm not looking for the ridiculous locomotive loud horns, but something like an 18 wheeler. Also not looking to break the bank. I saw 4WP has some kits for like $250-$300 for everything but wonder how well it produces. I figured I could mount a tank easily underneath where my spare was. Not exactly sure where I can mount the horns itself though.

·
Super Moderator
4,156 Posts
Anyone have an air horn in their X?
I have most of the pieces from the Hadley kit pictured below that I salvaged from an RV several years ago. I have intended to use it with a permanently mounted onboard air system, but have never gotten around to it. The horn will fit behind the grill of an Xterra if mounted vertically. My thought has been to wire it through an A-B switch so that the horn button in the steering wheel can be utilized for either the factory horn or the air horn depending upon need/whim.

The kit with the compressor is $289 on Amazon.

The kit without a compressor or tank (supply your own) is about $99.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have most of the pieces from the Hadley kit pictured below that I salvaged from an RV several years ago. I have intended to use it with a permanently mounted onboard air system, but have never gotten around to it. The horn will fit behind the grill of an Xterra if mounted vertically. My thought has been to wire it through an A-B switch so that the horn button in the steering wheel can be utilized for either the factory horn or the air horn depending upon need/whim.

The kit with the compressor is $289 on Amazon.

The kit without a compressor or tank (supply your own) is about $99.
Thanks! Have a link by any chance? I figured I'd have it wired directly to a switch. I can easily hit a switch compared to my steering wheel horn. Plus, there's something that just FEELS better about hitting a switch rather than the factory horn. lol

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
I have a Wolo Big Bad Max in my roof box. Totally contained unit with its own mini compressor built in. Not as loud as a train horn, but still attention-grabbing. Sounds somewhere between a boat horn and the NBA buzzer. Goes for around $50, simple positive and ground hookup to a switch.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a Wolo Big Bad Max in my roof box. Totally contained unit with its own mini compressor built in. Not as loud as a train horn, but still attention-grabbing. Sounds somewhere between a boat horn and the NBA buzzer. Goes for around $50, simple positive and ground hookup to a switch.
Never thought of putting it up there! Sounds neat!

·
Registered
597 Posts
*Bump*

So now that I have onboard air and a 2gallon airtank, I'm getting tired of my broken stock horn...

Anyone here know what horn options are good, and what the dimensions are, can I fit the horn uptop in the luggage box on the roof? I've owned this vehicle for over four years now and I have yet to put that area to use as my thule luggage box blocks it from opening, so it's effectively useless. If I can use it for an airhorn, that space will be well utilized finally!

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
Just a Hunter
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums
We’re the best Nissan Xterra forums to talk about your Nissan Xterra Mods and off-road adventures. The New X is the ultimate club Xterra.
Full Forum Listing