Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
on line
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my cousin has a couple of fog horns in his Hummer H3 engine bay. They're loud as hell. I was gonna throw them on after I get the shrockworks bumper.

Has anyone tried mounting these in there and running a switch to the interior?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
I was thinking of doing the exact same thing. My bumper wont be ready untill 2 weeks. I only live ten minutes from jim's shop, so when it is ready I am going to see if there will be any way to mount horns where the fog lamps are supposed to go. If not i will probably mount them in the engine bay after i get my air intake put on (it will hopefully leave enough room)

·
on line
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the website where he picked his equipment up. HELLA CHEAP!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40135

Comes complete with a 12V compressor, relay, tubing, and mounting hardware.
Chrome finish
Easy installation
Weather-resistant PVC and galvanized metal
Super-loud 135 dB
Weight: 2.1 lbs.

you may need to pick up some hardware for the mounts and bolts maybe a switch depending on how u want to install. I picked those up at the hardware store.. make sure its galvanized so it rust proof.

Ack, 5 weeks of patience for the bumper....I can't wait to blast people with the horn :flower:

·
on line
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah man go for it! If you could write up a detailed install that would be sick. Otherwise, you're gonna have to wait for a few weeks till I get my bumper then install that.

·
on line
2,081 Posts
For $15. May as well buy 2 sets then crush the horns a little on 1 set, so the sound is different and you have 4 tones.

·
on line
807 Posts
Do NOT get that horn!
It sounds ok for a while, but quickly turns to trash. My buddy has one on his truck and it doesnt work at all anymore, and he's only had it for a few months. I've had slightly better luck with similar models, but they still arent all that loud, and I personally thing their tone is too high pitched. Get a real big-rig or train horn and hook it up to an OBA system. That is what I have now, and it is infinately better!

·
on line
3,484 Posts
stevet47 said:
Do NOT get that horn!
It sounds OK for a while, but quickly turns to trash. My buddy has one on his truck and it doesn't work at all anymore, and he's only had it for a few months. I've had slightly better luck with similar models, but they still aren't all that loud, and I personally thing their tone is too high pitched. Get a real big-rig or train horn and hook it up to an OBA system. That is what I have now, and it is infinitely better!
I agree 100% with Steve, he knows his sheet!

Spend your money now or spend your money now AND later too. MC

·
on line
807 Posts
MidnightX said:
Steve, what's your setup look like and what is the brand you went with?

This is the horn I got, I would HIGHLY recomend it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Triple-Train-Ho...2QQihZ003QQcategoryZ14932QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I am running the horn at 125psi and it will rattle your insides if you are standing next to the truck. The horn can be run up to 200psi, and still maintains a nice deep tone at lower psi if you want it to be more civil.
The sound clip on the ebay page is exactly what it sounds like, or maybe it sounds just a little deeper in person.

·
on line
807 Posts
bgloveX said:
Where exactly did you mount the horns.
You can kinda see them in the last pic. The horns came with an angle bracket mount, so I used that with self-tapping to mount it to a crossmember under the bed (I have a frontier). It is tucked up nice and high and fits in there perfectly, its kind of hard to discribe where it is at though, just look at the pic... It is pointed out the driver's side right behind the gastank.

·
on line
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dude I just scared the shit outta myself. I clicked on the link to see what it would sound like and I forgot I had the sound system all the way up on my laptop...

http://www.siegeengine.com/auctions/horn/horn.mpg

That setup is super sweet man...I'm just not sure if I want to give up my passenger space to lug that air compressor around. Any alternatives for blasting those Hammers?

·
on line
807 Posts
MidnightX said:
Dude I just scared the shit outta myself. I clicked on the link to see what it would sound like and I forgot I had the sound system all the way up on my laptop...

http://www.siegeengine.com/auctions/horn/horn.mpg

That setup is super sweet man...I'm just not sure if I want to give up my passenger space to lug that air compressor around. Any alternatives for blasting those Hammers?
you could mount the tank under the bed..which is what i plan to do eventually, it would just require me to buy a long-skinny tank, and I had this tank already, which is why i went this route

·
on line
189 Posts
I mounted my compressor next to the air filter, Air tank is where my winch will go(where do I put the tank next?) And my horns are on the radiator bracket(where the old horn was)

You can just see the horns

Air tank looking thru top of shrock

compressor next to air box
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...08995/p-2008995/N-111+10201+600002553/c-10101
This is the horn package

The tank is not very big, but it will fill tires(slowly) LOL Will be adding a larger tank soon..

·
on line
807 Posts
I have upgraded to a 11gal tank and moved the setup to the bed since pics I post previously.

The next step is to figure out how I can make enough room in the engine bay to mount a York, then I will only need a 1gal tank that will fit under the bed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts