Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Gentlemen, are you guys running an AEM in the stock airbox?
No codes? No crap getting past it to the MAF?

Been thinking about one for awhile now.

Are there any downsides?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yes it is just a panel filter that replace OEM filter. Drops right in to stock air box. No codes have been thrown, no build up on MAF, I wash mine in congruence with my time interval of every oil change. So far so good. No complaints

·
Registered
1,128 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Gentlemen, are you guys running an AEM in the stock airbox?
No codes? No crap getting past it to the MAF?

Been thinking about one for awhile now.

Are there any downsides?
The AEM is a dry flow filter so their is no oil unlike an K&N. I've had mine now for a little over a year and no issues. I've hosed it out once and let it dry and it's g2g again.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Great comparison chart, a number of good filters. I ordered the WIX 46213.
The only negative to this test is the style of filter which was being tested.
To be clear, being this was a GM Truck air filter comparison, the filters being tested were of a cylindrical style vs the flat panel which we use.

However, I can see no reason why a manufacturer would use a different filter media for a flat panel vs a cylindrical filter, so the results should be pretty close to identical.

In addition, the author of this test made it clear "The 5µm spherical aluminum powder used in this test is a VERY fine powder, and was used to try and simulate a ‘worst case scenario’ to get a better differentiation between the performances of each filter.

Obviously, with even a slightly larger particulate, the results of this test would have the filters performing more evenly.

Lastly, the author of this article was clear in stating;
"My conclusion with regards to airflow is that choosing a filter type or style for ‘more flow’ for either performance, or fuel mileage, is useless. The benefits of simply changing from a dirty filter, to a clean one, will give more benefit, than just changing from one filter style to another."

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Yes, why not leave the AEM filter in all the time?
Let's look at the two most common types of air filter to assist in answering your question.

First, we have the standard dry filter which typically uses either a paper or enhanced cellulose filter media. These filters can be greater than 99% effective in removing contaminants from the incoming air.

Next we have the oiled filters which are constructed of a cotton media sandwiched between two layers of wire mesh. Obviously, the cotton media is more open which in turn can allow an increase in potential airflow, but it can also allow fine particles of contaminants to pass through and enter your engine. To alleviate this issue, many companies will oil the cotton material in these filters in an attempt to trap these unwanted contaminants.

Nevertheless, as seen in the link I posted earlier, these sort of filters were shown to be the least effective in filtration.

A normal auto airfilter can go 10,000 to 20,000 miles prior to needing replacement.
However, under extreme, dusty conditions you may need to replace your airfilter after each outing.

If you used the typical oiled air filter, this would consist of washing , drying and re-oiling the cotton media $. If you use a standard dry filter , your best option is to replace your filter $.

Phulld has chosen a work around in choosing a filter which can be cleaned without needing to purchase a cleaning kit. Basically for the cost of his water, he can restore his filter until the next time which he wishes to offroad. In addition, he is able to benefit from the superior filtration of his OEM filter during his daily driving.

My only concern is how well a "non oiled" cotton filter such as what's offered by AEM truly filters.

I doubt it would perform as well as a oiled filter such as a K&N as it lacks the extra layer of protection provided by the oil. Keeping this in mind, the K&N was not one of the top performers in the test which I shared.

I would have no problem using an AEM filter on my drag car , but I would be reluctant to choose it for my daily driver without doing further research.

The truth is the AEM "may" perform as well as any oiled filter in regards to filtration, but it's unlikely to perform as well as an OEM filter as this is currently the gold standard.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks for the explanation Just a Hunter.

Must admit that I would be tempted to go with the paper filters (e.g., NAPA Gold) all the time. When you factor in the cost of fuel, the cost of vehicle maintenance and possibly accommodation, the paper filters are not that expensive.

Then most of 4-wheeling opportunities in BC are in relatively damp areas with much less dust than you might find in arid and semi-arid areas. I suppose you if you do a dozen 4-wheeling trips over the course of a season in harsh conditions, the cost of replacing the paper filter each time starts to add up.

I understand why the testers used 5 micron particulate matter for the test to the extent that most of us live in urban air sheds and they have much small particulate matter in them.

The discussion so far begs the question: what size of air borne particulate matter is important to filter out and what is not important to filter out?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Westslope.

You have introduced an excellent point of view and question.

Ok, it's obvious what may work fine in a vehicle operating in Georgia may be worthless to the needs of Arizona.

In regards to air filtration and particulant size I can honestly answer that I'm not totally sure.
Not to be ignorant, but your question is much more involved than many may assume.

For example, particles carried into our engine through the intake can obviously cause damage in an engines cylinder walls. Generally speaking, this may take years to develop to such a point to which its noticable. Nevertheless, once this takes place, the damage is irreversible without spending a considerable amount of cash.

However, contaminants can make their way past the pistons and enter an engines oil supply. When this takes place, there is a possibility for damage to take place on an engines valves, valve stems, rings, bearings and additional cylinder damage.

It's highly regarded that particles in the 5-20 um are considered the most damaging to an engine.

If a particle is over 20um, it's most likely to be captured in your air or oil filter. ( unless the bypass valve is open)

If a particle is less than 5um, it's very likely to pass through the clearances of your engine without issue.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a NISMO intake, but have since replaced the stock filter with an AEM dryflow cone and prefilter. No codes so far (but being a factory intake it shouldnt have codes), but I can tell its doing its job every time I wash it... dropped a ton of Moab Red the last time...

That said, a sealed Volant and snorkle are on the todo list.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have had the AEM dry filter for the past year, and always was suspicious of its performance.

I checked it regularly, and it never looks dirty. Not a speck of dust or dirt. Installed correctly, yes.

I finally just switched back to WIX air filter.

If anyone wants a perfectly good AEM filter, let me know.

·
NewX’er 4life
2,441 Posts
It's more cost effective to do it this way. I use the AEM for trails because if anything will get sucked in (dust, mud, water etc.), I can just clean it. I don't really care about the fraction of a HP it would give to the truck. The paper filter would be throw away after such an incident. For regular day to day driving I prefer max filtration over HP gains also.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Air Filter - NAPA Gold $27.99
PART # FIL 6213

O'Reilly Auto Parts
WIX Air Filter. $25.99
Part # 46213 Line: WIX

Rock Auto
Wix 46213 $15.74

I will be visiting Oreilley Auto and see if they will price match RockAuto.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts