Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
on line
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Every single time I turn on my fan, it seems like my AC appears to be on all the time. i can't turn it off. even if A/C button is off, i could hear the air compressor kicking in every time 10-15 seconds. anybody else has similar problem?

·
on line
62 Posts
2006xterrax said:
Hi,
Every single time I turn on my fan, it seems like my AC appears to be on all the time. i can't turn it off. even if A/C button is off, i could hear the air compressor kicking in every time 10-15 seconds. anybody else has similar problem?
Not sure if this is it but if the selector dial is in the defrost position, the A/C will cycle all the time (regardless if the A/C button is on or off).

Vince :clown:

·
on line
13,466 Posts
I went on a 500 mile (one way) road trip in august. And ont he way home my ac wouldnt shut off. I was getitng pissed. Even when i had it set on the vent only, the ac still was running. So i just said screw it and left on and kept driving. Wheni stopped for a break, id say about 20 minutes or so. I lef the car off, the ac in the off position, got back into the car and it was fine. Something was just stuck or needed ot be reset i guess. You still haveing the issue?

·
on line
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<Not sure if this is it but if the selector dial is in the defrost position, the A/C will cycle all the time (regardless if the A/C button is on or off).>

I'm aware of this, but this is not the issue.

·
on line
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<Something was just stuck or needed ot be reset i guess. You still haveing the issue?>
Yes, I'm still having this issue. Will be taking it to the dealership. This is unacceptable. Went skiing last night, got in the car, tried to warm it up, engine reached operating temperature, only warm air was coming out on the vents while I was freezing my butt off. I could hear that compressor kicks in every 15 seconds or so. I had cars with AC before, they would make that noise only when AC was running. That's why I think this is AC issue. Sometimes it kicks on its own, sometimes it's not. Was wondering if anyone else has this. I haven't seen anything on TSBs yet.

·
on line
139 Posts
Do some detailed reading in the owners manual and you may find that your situation meets the criteria for the AC being on, regardless of the AC button setting.

I thought I had a problem a while back, but when I started digging into the manual I found this out:

If the vents are set to full windshield or windshield+feet, the AC compressor will turn on. If you switch from one of these two settings to any other setting, the AC will remain on until you turn the fan off -- regardless of what you do.

Some of the descriptions on how the HVAC is supposed to work are a bit convoluted, but it might be worth a read since it's possible it will save you a trip to the dealership.

D-Rock

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Ok, I just got back from lunch. This was the last thread I read before leaving so I thought I would give it a shot.

I have ready the Manual and know what it says and always assumed mine worked that way. Well, today I paid attention on the ride to and from getting lunch.

No matter the setting I start on (besides MAX AC) the AC does not turn on. I can turn it on or off at will on all setting except MAX AC (which it's always on). I tried every possible combination including turning the X off and on at different settings.

So either mine is broke, or the manual is wrong, or they changed something since the early 2005 builds (mine is March of 05).

·
on line
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went to the dealership, they said the AC compressor is supposed to run ALL THE TIME! I have never heard that before. Air conditioning is supposed to be ON ALL THE TIME??? And apparently I can not turn it off. That's not what Musicman says. I'd expect to have a manual control over AC, not in MAX AC or Defrost positions, but at least in Face, Face/Legs position.
WTF???!!!!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I am sure the dealer has no idea to be honest.

I am however shocked to find what I did as I have heard a lot of people talk about if they switch from defrost to any other setting that the AC stays on. That is basically how it is stated in the owners manual.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Ok, I just read the 06 owners manual. Here is what it states.

When the (defrost), (defrost / feet) or positions in between
are selected, the air conditioner automatically
turns on (however, the indicator light will not
illuminate) if the outside temperature is more than
36°F (2°C). The air conditioning system will continue
to operate until the fan control dial is turned
to OFF or the vehicle is shut off, even if the air flow
control dial is turned to a position other than
the (defrost) position. This dehumidifies the air
which helps defog the windshield. The (circulate)
mode automatically turns off, allowing outside air
to be drawn into the passenger compartment to
further improve the defogging performance.

So that might be how mine is acting. I was looking at the A/C button/light when i was saying it wasn't on.

BTW, here is a copy of the manual.

http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpubs/xterra/2006/2006-Nissan-Xterra.pdf

·
on line
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I understand what a manual says. Here is my problem: I turn defrosting (AC kicks in automatically), then I move a selector to the ventilation mode (AC is still running based on what a manual says). Then I turn the fan OFF (position 0). This should stop AC from running. Then I turn a fan back ON while a selector is in Ventilation mode. At this point AC must be OFF. As soon as I turn the fan ON, I hear AC compressor kicking in.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
It doesn't state that if you turn the fan back on that the AC should not turn on, just that it turns off when you turn the fan off.

·
on line
197 Posts
My '05 does exactly this as well. If there is ever an 'AC' mode initiated (AC/Defrost/Floor+Window), the compressor comes on and will not turn off (even if in Fan Mode). Sux.

I think it's time to dig into the Service Manual and come up with a new 'AC on only when I want it on' How-to!!

·
on line
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<Start the car and never turn it to defrost.>

I tried that, the moment I turn on the fan, AC kicks in, even though a selector is set to 'Face' Ventilation mode. AC green button is off, so I expect AC to be off. Sounds like it's ON.

I went thourgh the manual extensively, with the settings I described, AC is supposed to be OFF. Is it just me or does anybody else have the same issue?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Well, if it's ALWAYS on and if it's supposed to be that way, seems kind of stupid to put an A/C button on the controls huh?

The manual does state something about if the temp is more than 36 degrees it comes on. But that makes no sense either.

·
on line
197 Posts
I started looking into the Service Manual and looking on the Clubfrontier site. At CF, someone mentioned hearing from a dealer of many people complaining of this over-ride of the controls. The dealer also said this was programmed into the BCM, so it would require a "fix" from Nissan or someone who had the ability to hack into the BCM.

Looking into the Service Manual, pages MTC 21-36, it looks as though the 'AC Request' (compressor ON) signal initiates from the Fan Air Control (FAC) module (the assembly with the AC/Temp/Fan knobs at the front of the center dash console), coming out pin 10 (wht) of the M49 connector of the FAC.

When I get some time where I can get into this, opening up the dash, I'll do a little more poking. I'm really curious if this 'AC Request' signal is a constant Logic Hi only when the AC is manually turned on, or if this goes Hi when Defrost is selected. Either way, the boolean logic appears to be established in the FAC....ie there is no 'Defrost ON' signal coming out of the FAC. If this is the case, there might be a way to make the AC button act as it should...give me some time...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts