Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've never had this much trouble trying to adjust headlights. I did a search but haven't found anything useful.

I can only see one silver adjustment screw on the upper outside of the assembly, and I can't even reach it with my ladylike fingers! I got a hex key on it, but it didn't want to turn, and there was barely room to turn it.

I need to lower the beams, my brights are only good for finding raccoons, and I'm tired of people flashing me even when the fogs are on. Don't people know that fogs don't work with high beams?

Can someone with a 2010 take a look at theirs and tell me what I'm not seeing?

· Registered
2,225 Posts
Ive got a stock suspension 2010 and I got flashed about 75 times on my trip to Colorado. I only used my low beams and fogs...oh well. I just flashed back and sometimes I used the roof lights :) That'll show the bastards.

· Registered
367 Posts
Ive got a stock suspension 2010 and I got flashed about 75 times on my trip to Colorado. I only used my low beams and fogs...oh well. I just flashed back and sometimes I used the roof lights :) That'll show the bastards.
I know how you feel. I installed HIDs and realigned the lights and i still get flashed. So I install HIDs on the OR lights and I just flash back lol.

· Registered
2,225 Posts
Yeah Ive got HIDs in the roof lights too, too bad they aren't as "instant on" as halogens.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the 2010's are more difficult to adjust. I haven't had a chance to take another look, been without power up to now, had a good PNW windstorm last night. Appreciate all the replies, but hope someone with a 2010 will take a look. Hell, it's under warranty, haven't done the LCA recall yet, guess it's time for a trip to the stealership.

· on line
3,171 Posts
It's a bit of a PITA to reach, mainly on the passenger's side because of the battery... but it's there. Kinda obvious if you look at the back of the driver's side light. It's an 8mm bolt btw. Should turn easy enough.

· Registered
7 Posts
Just got back from a trip to West Texas and had the same issue with half the people on the 2 lane highways flashing me. First time I've had that happen. I assume it's because of all the gear in the back, weighing it down and lifting the lights up just enough to bother people.

Wish I had thought about using the OR lights to flash back :evil4:

· Registered
974 Posts
I have an 05.
Had it at a shop today .. the guy kept turning the screw with the teeth and it didnt seem to do anything.
Then I read online that there may be 2 adjustments one up/dwn and one left/right? And the updown one is hidden with a "cap " on it?
Very confusing and contradictory what I found.

Mine are aimed a bit too low for my tastes likely due to my rear being raised about 1.5 inch due to AALs.

Can anyone post pics?
Please?

· Registered
3,815 Posts
I think our headlights only adjust up or down. I adjusted mine after going an inch higher in the back with helper leafs. The adjuster had the screw on the back of the light housing that looks like it has teeth on it.

Reactions: bluez

· Registered
974 Posts
I think our headlights only adjust up or down. I adjusted mine after going an inch higher in the back with helper leafs. The adjuster had the screw on the back of the light housing that looks like it has teeth on it.
Thanks.

What about those teeth?
Can they be broken by turning it too much/hard either way?

How do u turn them?
They are deep in there do I need special bit for a wrench?

· Registered
478 Posts
Thanks.

What about those teeth?

How do u turn them?
Phillips screwdriver. Fat tip works best. Make sure you're engaging the teeth when you turn the screwdriver.

· Registered
3,815 Posts
Thanks.

What about those teeth?

How do u turn them?

Mine are a 8mm hex, I used a ratchet. I have no idea what happens if you turn them too much. I had the lights shining like 20' onto a wall to see them moving/adjust them.

Attachments

· Registered
974 Posts
There is only up/down adjustment on the xterra.

you can turn the 8mm nut but it's much easier to insert a #2 phillips head screw driver from the top into the teeth and turn the bolt that way.

IIRC righty tighty will lower the light and lefty loosey will raise.
Thanks!

I just broke the code with the phillips also.
The ratchet thing was a bit too weird for me at first since I am not sure I can find my ratchet ( just moved) and there is limited room for it.
The Phillips makes it SO easy!

Counter clockwise = up I think.

I did 6-7 notches "up " on both sides
Will go on a drive soon when its dark..and will see where the pattern falls :)

· Registered
11 Posts
Mine are a 8mm hex, I used a ratchet. I have no idea what happens if you turn them too much. I had the lights shining like 20' onto a wall to see them moving/adjust them.
Actually no need for any tools. You can turn easily with your hand. Just count the number of teeth as you turn the wheel so tha you can keep track of how far you went.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts