Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got a huge dump of snow in Tahoe. 4 FEET!!! on top off 3 feet from the rest of the week. So i was attempting to go to work backed out then try to move forward and was stuck. Now i was doubting the X, but i believe it is the stock tires. I have the OR model with the stock BF goodriches which i believe are crap! I am looking to upgrade my tires to a good all around tire with good performance in the snow. Any Input? I was looking at either the Toyo Open Countries or the bridgestone duelers. Thanks for the input

·
on line
332 Posts
i had the same problem when the snow piled up here. you just have to get use to the xterras handling. you can't just power through getting stuck, variable slip and alot of torque make sure of that. even with aftermarket tires you can still find yourself digging some very deep holes.

·
on line
358 Posts
It doesn't matter what tire you have if the snow is too deep. If it is so deep that the belly of the vehicle is smashed into it the tires will loose traction. On the other hand I have BFG ATs on my 4runner and they are great in the snow. I also like them offroad. But being in Colorado we don't see alot of mud. They might not do so well in mud. They ride great, are quiet and my last set lasted 75k miles. Before winter I replaced my old set with a new set. I also am a strong beliver in siping any tire, they last longer and add a ton more traction in the snow and ice. Siping is second best to studs. They got me thru the snows that we had this year, 36" at my house in the first one. It just plowed thru.

·
on line
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it was a lot of snow and i probably should have cleared it before i tried going through it. I am going to ditch the stock tires and go with the bridgestone revos.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
I still have stock tires on my X, General somethings.......Couple weeks ago i got 3 feet of snow over some ice...........ihad no problems, i didnt get stuck in it, and was the only person who was able to get out of my condo complex. Snow was piled up to my garage door and then not plowed all night.......i still got out with no problems. And no, i wasnt giving too much gas and trying to batter my way out. What the ehck are you guys doing that the stock tires arent cutting it?

·
on line
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YAY! I ordered REVOS... they will be here tomorrow... I also need to ditch the mud flaps.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
The mud flaps are the first thing to hit any time you get into rocks on even somewhat steep drop-offs. It's such a simple "mod," but it makes an amazing difference to ditch them.

And just for anyone looking at the Toyo Open Country M/Ts, they are very strong in the sidewall and are as bullet-proof as a tire can be, but especially in the 285 75 16 size, you pay for brawn in weight: a whopping 68 lbs. per tire. Sidewall flex is compromised as well in this size, since they're load range E--stiff. I decided against them because of the wear JAdams describes, and because I wanted to limit the weight as I upsized. Flex was also a concern, since I air down all the time off road. Tire weights are are available in one central place on tirerack.

·
on line
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heres a pic of the beginning of the storm

·
on line
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, i just stuffed it into the burm to take the pic.

·
on line
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah i agree i love when it DUMPS snow! so fun... Uhh weather now is partly cloudy supposed to get a few inches maybe tonight, then it looks clear. I want it to come down again so i can put the new tires to the test. Yeah we live in a tourist town so there are a bunch of people that come from the city and don't know how to drive in the snow. Very entertaining.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts