Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been meaning to post this but kept forgetting. This was last week when the weather was kinda nasty here in DFW area. My boss had already left to go home early so I ask my next immediate supervisor if I could head home early to avoid the nasty weather (rainy/icy condition). She says ok and then says: "You probably wish you still had your CR-V 'cause the AWD feature could have come in handy!" As soon as I heard that, I felt like cracking up real hard but since I had to respect the supervisor, I go: "Oh, my X is much more capable than my old CR-V in these conditions!" I burst out laughing once I got in my car. :D She drives a CR-V as well!

·
on line
3,754 Posts
haha i can relate to that.

i used to have a WRX and so many people would say things about how bad it must be in the snow cuz its a little car. but as you may know Subarus are great in the snow. i only got stuck once in the almost 2 1/2 years i had it. and that was at the end of my driveway from the plows making a nice snow bank.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Although in straight rain, an AWD is probably just what the doctor ordered.

If I'm honest, my Subaru Outback XT handled better than my X in rain on the street. I mean, rain and patchy snow is where well-engineered AWDs shine. And the new Subarus corner and slalom like Porsches and BMWs.

But after that, it's all X.

·
on line
152 Posts
I was in CO for a ski trip the other week and we rented an Armada. Tried to get a Pathfinder but they were out and could have had an X but I can drive one of those anytime.

Anyway it has a "Auto 4-wheel" drive position on the dial. A lot of newer SUV's have something like this. I know the new 4 runners do. It works like an AWD system and works amazing. The auto 4 wheel drive and the fact that we were driving a tank made driving through the mountians on 70 in a bad snow storm a breeze. They closed the road right after we went through. The only people that made it through were Toyota's, Nissan and Subaru's.

We saw an old ass rear wheel drive BMW trying its little heart out to get up the mountain. Sideways the whole way. Never made it and was blocking most of the road. VW's and a Focus couldnt make it up the mountain either.

·
on line
152 Posts
Did some quick research and the 4 Runner uses a bought technology from Torsen® which is a LSD center differential. Very cool and would kinda like to see the next generation X's with this. Not so great for hard core offroading but great on the highway when you don't want full locking 4 wheel drive like in light snow/ice/heavy rain. Couldn't find any info on the Armada.... didn't look to hard though... not worth it .

Overall the Armada's kinda suck I think. Bad reliability.

·
on line
704 Posts
Subaru all the way. I recall driving in the Green Mountains and seeing tons of SUVs on the side of the road while our old Subi was going strong. Knowing the limits and having good snow tires sure helped, but any Subaru is a freaking beast. I don't know why people choose not to get AWD cars in places that have snow...

·
on line
152 Posts
I agree Subaru's do kick some ass. We passed a Chevy SUV that spun around into the side of a mountain face... priceless.

·
on line
735 Posts
I shoulda kept my 02 wrx. good in the weather and I even once, on a whim, pulled off interstate 8 by the Imperial San Dunes outside of yuma and blasted over a couple of dunes in the buttercup camp ground. It worked a little too well with the turbo power and I had to back off because we didn't want to walk all the way to Tucson. I was a bit concerned for the ground effects too. That car was a lot lighter than my jeep and was surprisingly driveable in the semi hard packed sections.

·
on line
112 Posts
I pulled over to help out a Honda Accord, and a guy was already there trying to help... without a strap. So I back up to start hooking up, and the guy is like, "are you sure your truck can pull him out?"

:rofl:

I was in my F450 4x4 and he was in a Honda Pilot.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
"would kinda like to see the next generation X's with this. "
We do have a center diff (viscous coupling), and we lifted it from Land Rover..

·
on line
152 Posts
"would kinda like to see the next generation X's with this. "
We do have a center diff (viscous coupling), and we lifted it from Land Rover..
You sure about that. Im pretty sure we have no center diff. We just have an old time transfer case. Am I wrong?

·
on line
704 Posts
Yeah, I gave up on proving the point. Many of my friends who are used to typical SUVs that flood suburbs of fly-over states, e.g. NJ or CT, think that all SUVs are "meeh." Well, there is no point of arguing with them. I like going to places they see on TV :)

/v

·
on line
13,466 Posts
My experience last saturday with the snow, good lord..................Every retard with and suv or jeep thought they could drive 50 miles an hour through unplowed ice covered streets. Um, no. Then there were the idiots in their cars stuck everywhere. A friend of mine is a state highway patrol man. He gave out 157 tickets to people because there was a driving ban. Morons in there geo prisims out getting stuck. Why? Because the fat asses driving the cars wanted to go get food to eat while they lay around getting fatter at home. I actually got waves from cops and the plow drivers. I had to pick up my magazine remember, i HAD to drive. But i know what you mean abotu retards thinking that their crv or rav 4 are kick ass snow machines.

·
on line
152 Posts
Morons in there geo prisims out getting stuck. Why? Because the fat asses driving the cars wanted to go get food to eat while they lay around getting fatter at home.
hahaha

·
on line
698 Posts
I wouldn't say its just because of the vehicle a person drives that they get stuck. I would say its the person doing the driving. If you take someone that gets a Chevy Suburban with 4x4 stuck in a ditch and put them in an Xterra 4x4, they are still gonna wind up in the ditch.

But that said, some vehicles are more capable in certain conditions than others. The X is surely a better vehicle for adverse weather than a Z06.

·
on line
384 Posts
Bottom line - at least 75% of it is the driver. If you know your vehicle and your abilities, you will be fine. I drove a FWD Saturn for 10 years though all kinds of crap and never had a problem. But I also knew when I was headed into a situation that the car was not capable of handling and thus found another route.

I love seeing the idiots who assume that the 4WD switch in their SUV means they can drive like they would on drive pavement. I tend to not stop for the moron who goes flying past me and then ends up in a ditch a mile down the road. I do offer them a nice little honk though.

·
on line
671 Posts
I was in my F450 4x4 and he was in a Honda Pilot.
You could pull a house off it's blocks with that monster!
Besides pulling both of them anywhere you wanted!
Stupid people!

Can't relate to your snow problems.Sunny & 75 here!

·
on line
735 Posts
Sometimes it's good to keep your yapper shut. Believe me..never let your superiors know you have a better car than they do. They won't admit it, but it will affect your raises and such.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts