Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I blew a seal on one of my front shocks and need to replace them with something better. I'm going for either Bilsteins or Ranchos. The problem is, no one at 4Wheel Parts or Off-Road-Warehouse, or Nissan can find anything that fits an 05-07 Xterra... Are they all just retarded or what?

Can I get a friggin part number from someone please? My truck is dissabled until I can get these shocks.

Thanks.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I need these like yesterday. I just wrecked one of my stock shocks while trying to install the AC coils. My fault, lesson learned.

Take your crap to a shop. Compressing AC coils by hand will FU(K you up...

Part #s guys...?

·
on line
1,123 Posts
My local 4 Wheel Parts claims to have the Rancho RS9000x (part number RS99787). You may want to check yours again.

·
on line
551 Posts
I checked my Bilsteins on my OR and it had a B621 with an UPC bar code underneath it. I'm sure there are more numbers to it, but that could be start

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys... but...

I got hasty, ran a key-word search in here, and found a post in which MC talked about having the Pro-Comp MX6s, part no MX6070. I swiftly called 4Wheel Parts and ordered for Monday morning delivery. But I was paranoid that it's the correct shock, so later I downloaded the Pro-Comp catalog and saw that it's actually a REAR shock for an 87-95 Jeep YJ. I'm so confused. I PMd MC but still hevn't gotten a response. I need an answer by Sat morning or I'm kind of screwed. I know about the RS9000's but have heard everyone say the MX6's are better.

I need front shocks and I'm afraid I may have ordered rear shocks...

·
on line
1,123 Posts
The MX6070 is definitely for the rear, and a lifted rear at that. I contacted Pro Comp a couple of weeks ago and they do not currently make a front for the 2nd gens.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sexterra, thanks so much bro. That's exactly what I needed. Now I get to make it to work on Monday.
Thanks again bro.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, now that I have a free moment from this AC coil install fiasco, I'll explain what happened.

Everything was going great. The coil-overs were out and I had successfully compressed the one stock coil by hand, removed it, and started compressing the AC coil when shit hit the fan.

The whole time I'm compressing this coil, with 4 hand compressors, I'm having to use my knees and feet to keep the damn thing still while I torque away. I'm sitting there, watching this thing compress and thinking, man this thing would really fu(k me up if it let loose. I finally get it compressed enough to insert the shock, and I assemble the shock.

As I start releasing the tension in the compressors, I realise that the AC coils are too close together to even fu(king remove the compressors hooks. The coils basically pinched the hooks in place. I realise that I'm basically dead in the water and must let a shop do the work. Frustration like no other...

Then, to make matters worse, the shock blows it's main seal from the newly introduced pressure and starts blasting gas and oil all over the place. So at that point, I know the shock is now trash also.

I would advise, to anyone thinking about doing this install on their own, do not! It's too dangerous, and probably won't even work unless you've got different coil compressors. I made sure to buy the most beefy, badass ones too, and the thickness of the hooks killed the whole initiative.

Side by side, AC vs Stock:

Compressing the stock coil:

Scary shit... don't waste your time.

"Aw SHIT!"

·
on line
3,262 Posts
When i got my AC coils (no longer using them) and my ranchos, i tried to do it by hand same as you. And it didnt work (same as you). I stressed in my post (not sure how long ago it was) not to do the compression yourself, just have a local shop do it for ya.

I guess you didnt read that post. But then again after i posted it up someone told me the exact same thing i am telling you.

I guess once anyone get a new toy for their truck, the giddyness sets in and you forget about asking for advice. At least thats how i am. :drunken: Hope everything works out for ya!

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Yea Dan also said from the get go, don't try it. Nice pictures though. Anytime you get a foot and a spring involved in the same action, there is going to be trouble.
It sure don't look that much longer than the stock one, must be all that resistance and the number of rounds the spring makes is the problem that pinches the coil compressors.
Everything happens for a reason, you will have a better set up with aftermarket shocks. MC

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I know I was warned... but I guess I'm still stuck in that learn-lessons-the-hard-way stage of life. I'll come around. If someone had said it's "not really possible", rather than "its dangerous", I might have listened.

Either way, got a shop to quote me at $65 for both, so I'm happy with that, plus I've needed an excuse to upgrade those shocks.

·
on line
1,123 Posts
Syndicate,
If you get a minute, would you mind measuring the extended and compressed lengths of the stock front shock? I've got some new ones on order that are supposed to have 30mm more extension than stock. If they do, then I should be able to do the coils myself as they'll need much less compression. If I knew for sure before disassembling my front end it could save me some heartache. TIA.

Joel

·
on line
551 Posts
Glad it all worked out.
I worked at a tire shop specializing in shocks, brakes etc years ago. I have seen up front and personal what happens when the spring lets go. Not pretty.
I would pay to have that done no questions asked.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
kneebuster said:
Syndicate,
If you get a minute, would you mind measuring the extended and compressed lengths of the stock front shock?....

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You gonna be lengthening the lines with those longer shocks? I'll be interested to see if you can make contact with your UCA.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts