Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hei,

I am looking for an aftermarket passenger dome light assembly that is a little larger than stock. The round hole cut in the plank in the roof is about 3".

The X came with a DVD player, dome light assembly which offers great lighting -- especially after I switched in LED bulbs -- but is heavy and tends to fall down on really rough roads. I have never used the DVD player other than to confirm that it actually works.

Suggestions? It would be nice if it was designed for LED lighting but I will settle for an older model.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I don’t think that anyone has specifically changed the passenger dome light. I’d head to the local pick and pull and see what’s out there from other vehicles. Pick your favorite and then fab up something yourself. Should be a pretty easy and fun weekend project. If you’re lucky you may even be able to get one with a storage cubby.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good suggestion znethan except the closest wreckers are a 3 hour plus drive away. For the old WD-21 pathfinder, I was a regular at the scrap yards.

What I want is something that is large, relatively simple and flat, perhaps with enough room for at least 2 LED bulbs (given the old style). Something that is light in weight and will stay out of the way.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could always use these generic ones that are in every cop car and ambulance in the country.
View attachment 133128
Where?

I have limited my search so far to online in Canada, amazon.ca and amazon.com. There are lots of lights for RVs.

I want one that activates when one of the doors opens. Specs that show the dimensions and configuration would be nice. Not too interested in carving out space in the interior roof/ceiling.

I actually have stock replacement but it does not cover the 3" diameter hole and the peeled away foam. A larger aftermarket replacement would both the hole and throw more light.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Where?

I have limited my search so far to online in Canada, amazon.ca and amazon.com. There are lots of lights for RVs.

I want one that activates when one of the doors opens. Specs that show the dimensions and configuration would be nice. Not too interested in carving out space in the interior roof/ceiling.

I actually have stock replacement but it does not cover the 3" diameter hole and the peeled away foam. A larger aftermarket replacement would both the hole and throw more light.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where?

I want one that activates when one of the doors opens.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anything can turn on when you open the doors. You just need to wire it properly.
Hmm...... Perhaps you can gently walk me through that?

The OE dome lights use 3 wires, a positive, a negative and another door positive. The switch is set up so the unit can be OFF, ON or only come ON when one or more of the corresponding doors is open.

From what I observe, the RV dome lights come with 2 electrical leads.

The aftermarket LED panels come with an adapter that will connect to the festoon bulb slot. It is easy to connect and full functionality is maintained.

Is there a way for me to wire up a standard RV dome light without having to use the OE dome light switch so I have the full functionality of the OE dome lights? Could be simple as all get out but I ain't seein' it. :confused:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hmm...... Perhaps you can gently walk me through that?

The OE dome lights use 3 wires, a positive, a negative and another door positive. The switch is set up so the unit can be OFF, ON or only come ON when one or more of the corresponding doors is open.

From what I observe, the RV dome lights come with 2 electrical leads.

The aftermarket LED panels come with an adapter that will connect to the festoon bulb slot. It is easy to connect and full functionality is maintained.

Is there a way for me to wire up a standard RV dome light without having to use the OE dome light switch so I have the full functionality of the OE dome lights? Could be simple as all get out but I ain't seein' it. :confused:
Depending on the light you choose it could change but you have 4 options. Full disclosure I am not 100% confident in how the OEM wiring schematic looks but this is based on a simple 2 positive and ground assumption.

Option 1: Requires 1 switch and the dome light will always be door activated. However, the light can also be turned off and on independently as well. Wire both the door switch and the toggle switch to the same + lead on the light. Then run the constant positive to the switch and ground both the switch (assuming it has lights) and light to the body.

Option 2: Requires 1 3 position (DPDT) switch and closely mimics the OEM set up. Wire both the door switch and the toggle switch to the same + lead on the light. Then run the constant positive to the switch. You will also need to wire the door activated + to the switch. Ground the switch (again assuming it has lights) and light to the body. You now will have independent control of ON, OFF, and DOOR

Option 3: No switches and the light only comes on when you open the door. Wire the light directly to the door activated positive and ground the light. Tape off the constant positive.

Option 4: Requires 1 switch and light will not turn on with the doors ever. Wire the toggle switch to the constant positive and ground. Tape off the door activated positive.

You’ll need to get creative with where to mount the switches and may need to run wires accordingly. The center console comes to mind as a good place or maybe fabricate a piece from ABS plastic that houses it all. If you want I can make some schematics but it should be pretty straight forward based on my outline above.

You may also be able to take the OE front map lights and get them to work. Not sure if that would be big enough to hide the hole though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts