Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody have any suggestions for a double din head unit, something that fits using the factory brackets (i hate every adaptor that i've ever seen) and has MP3 capability? i'd love navigation but don't want to put $1,000+ in a headunit.

·
on line
114 Posts
What's your preference, DVD player, touch screen, or just a plain old CD player?

There are some good sub $1000 options and a few of them allow you add navigation on later.

·
on line
189 Posts
how about the Pioneer Z1
best one on the market..

·
on line
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DVD would be cool, but i don't spend that much idle time in my vehicle (i know i can override the parking brake setting on the player) . . . GPS would be useful . . . MP3 is a must, nothing cooler than having the entire ten album led zeppelin catalog on a single disc :geek:

·
on line
551 Posts
The double DIN Kenwoods have USB hookups for a thumbdrive or USB cable such as this:
Kenwood DPX-501
Or there is the Clarion that accepts SD cards.
Clarion DFZ675MC
Both can be had for under $500. I'm still thinking on which one though I might spring for the Kenwood DPX-701

·
on line
37 Posts
i have the kenwood dpx501. great stereo, but it is a little difficult to navigate. I have my ipod and sirius both hooked up to it. I havent used the thumbdrive yet. It looks goods in the xterra. I will post a picture later. I still have to modify the trim ring to fit properly as it doesnt fit around the xterra dash. But you can hardly notice it. It has a ton of options. Once you figure out how to navigate through all the menus and set it up, you really dont have to touch it again.

I picked it up on ebay for about $230. I like it. If i didnt buy that i would have gone with a navigation unit, but i was contemplating a car pc for a while....

·
on line
551 Posts
General Grabber said:
Hey Rat I was looking at those two also. Do you know which is better quality and more reliable as far as brands? Kenwood or Clarion?
Don't have an answer, which is one reason for the toss up.
The Kenwoods get a lot of good reviews, but then agian their sales are definitely higher than Clarion.
I think I like the SD Clarion better just so I don't have a cable or thumb drive hanging out and I can change the colors to match the X's
Also from what I understand the stock radio is a Clarion.

·
on line
1,045 Posts
irp88 said:
jollyman78 said:
this is a great head unit but you can get it for about 900 and it actualy pushes back so its an easy touch screen to use
I picked mine up for $720 on ebay - new! :cheers:

It sits a little past flush, but I think a little dremel work to the stock brackets would fix that nicely.
The facia for it doesn't fit behind the dash plastic, so I took a hint from MC and cut up a plastic notebook ;)

I keep forgetting to take pics of it... is anyone even interested in seeing them?

·
on line
264 Posts
yes i am cause i want to install this unti in my car my buddy has it in his truck thats where ive seen and used it

·
on line
46 Posts
got my pioneer avic z1 installed - two words, aw - some !!! I got the bluetooth adapter so my cellphone works thru HU. down the line probaly get the XM/sirius adapter (when they merge?), I don't have the ipod adapter (which from what I've read it the only downfall of the z1, slow ipod interface)...pics to follow

·
on line
1,045 Posts
irp88 said:
yes i am cause i want to install this unti in my car my buddy has it in his truck thats where ive seen and used it
Well, I meant to take the pics last night when I got home from work... but I tried that new "exercise" thing and almost killed over instead.

I will try to get the pics tonight, but I have a "date" and may forget again.

BTW, if you get the Alpine, do yourself a favor and buy a PAC TR-7. It will GREATLY simplify the install and let you play DVD's while driving :headbang:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140070795203

1 - 18 of 18 Posts