Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the market for a front bumper and I have looked at the options and love the look of hefty or shrockworks but both of them have a gap where the fender and bumper meet up. I know the gap isnt very large but if Im gonna pay 1300 on a bumper I want something I love. The only company that has seemed to remedy this issue is ARB by leaving a small sliver of the original bumper cover which I dont think looks that great either. Am I going to have to get a custom made bumper or is there a bumper that doesnt have this issue?

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
The issue with closing the gap is body/bumper flex. If you hit something hard enough, the bumper will flex into the body and cause damage (and occurs even with the options we have now). Believe it or not, that big heavy piece of welded metal is still quite flexible. The smaller the gap is, the more force will be transferred to the body panels in a collision, resulting in more damage.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Yeah, Mind the Gap! I suggested this to someone who had the similar distaste to the gap: go to Lowe's or some hardware store and buy some weather stripping and put it in there - I think that would clear up the gap between the bumper and the fender, but if you do hit something or even torque the truck somehow (could be from a rear end torque as well) the rubber will flex and you wouldn't run into the problem with crushing your fender/lights/grill etc..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts