Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just installed an alarm into my X and thought I'd share a few notes w/ the forum.

First of all, I bought an Autopage RF-420LCD. It's a 2 way alarm with an LCD remote but no remote start. I paid $95 on eBay. So far, it seems to work great but I haven't had much time w/ it to comment about the range.

Anyways, the actual install wasn't too difficult at all. The wire diagram provided by bulldog.com is accurate so make sure you have a copy.

Your constant +12V and switched +12V will come from the plug behind the ignition switch.

Directly below the ignition switch will be a black box with 3 sets of plugs running into it. This is the Body Control Module (BCM). On one plug of the BCM, you'll find your door lock, door unlock, front left and rear left door trigger. These 4 wires will be grouped one after another in the middle of the plug and you'll find the hatch trigger on the same plug but closer to the outside.

On another plug of the BCM, you'll find your front right and rear right door triggers in the middle of the plug.

All door triggers will need to be diode isolated before you connect them to the alarm's trigger input wire

Something strange I noticed is that the door lock and door trigger wires will read a low voltage (2 volts) at rest and drop to 0 on trigger on a voltmeter. Normally other cars will read 12 volts at rest.

Behind the kick panel, you'll find the parking light wire in the 2nd or third (i forgot) plug from the bottom.

For the ground wire, there are plenty bolts under the dash that you can connect it to. I used the bolt that holds the BCM in place since the majority of my wires were in that area.

As far as the Factory alarm disarm wire, I think you can disregard it. I connected mine but it caused my door locks to "go to sleep" and made me push the unlock button twice to make it respond. I unhooked the factory alarm disarm wire and my new alarm works fine.

For the alarm brain location, you might want to mount it under the panel around the gear shift. The most common place to mount an alarm brain is under the driver side dash so that's where a thief would look first to try to disarm it while breaking in. To pull up the panel around the shifter, you pull out the cup holder panel first. It's all held in by clips. Once you get the panel out, you'll see the shifter lock cable that comes from the ignition switch. Run your alarm wires parallel to this cable and use zip ties to secure them into place.

Also, the center console area also has enough room to mount your shock sensor. This would be ideal because it is in the center of the truck so your shock sensor would be somewhat more equally sensitive from bumps all around.

Next is the siren mount. there is a factory grommet in the firewall of the X on the left side. Run your siren wire through this grommet. Inside the engine bay, if you look at the fender wall, you'll see a factory nut hole just inches from the grommet. (My X is an auto tranny....I'm not sure if manual tranny Xs will have something mounted on that nut). You can use this nut to mount your siren without drilling holes.

*deep breath* and that about sums it up for the install.

·
on line
58 Posts
r/s install

For factory alarm retention as well what you want to do is hook up your disarm wire from your aftermarket alarm and tap that into your unlock wire. When you remote start your vehicle it will pulse this wire once disarming your stock alarm then set your unlock setting on the aftermarket alarm to a double pulse and that will cure the locks falling asleep.

-Cowboy

·
on line
58 Posts
MECP Certified installer

S_e_X-Terra said:
EXCELLENT WRITE UP ! ! ! ! John

And great tips... cowboy

No problem I'm a MECP certificed installer and a custom car stereo/performance shop. Feel free to ask for any wiring/alarm tech questions and if I don't know the answers I can call people who will have them.

-Cowboy

·
on line
3 Posts
Hey do you know if the new Xterra's need a bypass module to install an aftermarket alarm with remote start? I have a 2006 Xterra SE and am wanting to get a Viper alarm w/remote start installed and had two different shops give me two different answers...

·
on line
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pirranha said:
Hey do you know if the new Xterra's need a bypass module to install an aftermarket alarm with remote start? I have a 2006 Xterra SE and am wanting to get a Viper alarm w/remote start installed and had two different shops give me two different answers...
yup, our xterra's have a transponder system (meaning our trucks need to read a chip in our keys to start). I don't remember the part number but there are various companies that make transponder bypass systems. i recommend using a DEI brand.

·
on line
58 Posts
here is all the info you need from Directed

DIRECTWIREâ„¢ WIRING INFORMATION - NISSAN / XTERRA / 2006 / Remote Start

[PRINT THIS PAGE]

12volts green (40A) + ignition harness
Starter gray + ignition harness
Second Starter lt. green + ignition harness
Ignition white/green + ignition harness
Second Ignition N/A
Third Ignition N/A
Accessory red + ignition harness
Second Accessory green/yellow + ignition harness
Keysense black + ignition harness or BCM, pin 37
Notes: The BCM (Body Control Module) is to the right of the steering column.
Power Lock lt. green to purple - driver kick or BCM, pin 45
Power Unlock white to lt. green - driver kick or BCM, pin 46
Lock Motor purple 5wi driver kick or BCM, pin 65
Unlock Motor gray 5wi driver kick or BCM, pin 59
Parking Lights+ gray + driver kick, harness to rear
Parking Lights- N/A
Hazards green - hazard switch or BCM, pin 29
Turn Signal(L) lt. green + driver kick or BCM, pin 60
Turn Signal(R) green + passenger kick or BCM, pin 61
Reverse Light lt. blue + driver kick, harness to rear
Door Trigger see notes - BCM
Notes: The LF door is gray in pin 47. The RF door is lt. green in pin 12. The LR door is pink in pin 48. The RR door is blue in pin 13. Use all four wires and diode isolate each.

The BCM (Body Control Module) is to the right of the steering column.

On vehicles without power door locks, the driver door trigger is blue in the driver kick panel. The passenger(s) door trigger is red in the passenger kick panel.
Dome Supervision brown - driver A pillar or BCM, pin 63
Trunk/Hatch Pin yellow - driver kick or BCM, pin 43
Hood Pin N/A
Trunk/Hatch Release N/A
Power Sliding Door N/A
Factory Alarm Arm lt. blue - driver kick or BCM, pin 8
Notes: Meter this wire while turning the key in the driver door key cylinder. This wire will also lock the doors.

Factory Alarm Disarm red/white to gray - driver kick or BCM, pin 7
Notes: Meter this wire while turning the key in the driver door key cylinder. This wire will also unlock the doors with a double pulse.

Disarm No Unlock
Tachometer NOT white/green ac any fuel injector
Wait to start N/A
Brake Wire yellow + brake pedal switch or driver kick
Parking Brake green - parking brake sw. or cluster, pin 31
Horn Trigger brown - horn switch
Memory Seat 1 N/A
Memory Seat 2 N/A
Memory Seat 3 N/A

Interface Module: Category:
Immobilizer Bypass Required:
Yes Type:
Transponder
Part #: 556UW
Alternate Part1 #: DesignTech 20402
Alternate Part2 #: DesignTech 29402
Notes: Standard on the Off Road, SE, and S models. Optional on the X models.

Smart Starter Kill Relays: Not Available

This wiring information is being provided free of charge on an "as is" basis, without any representation or warranty. It is your responsibility to verify any circuit before interfacing with it using a digital multimeter.
Directed Electronics assumes no responsibility with regards to the accuracy or currency of this information. Proper installation in every case is and remains the responsibility of the installer. DEI assumes no liability or responsibility resulting from improper installation, even in reliance upon this information.

·
on line
11 Posts
07 Xterra Parking light wire

Parking Lights, gray + driver kick, harness to rear. Does anyone know which plug (color) I need to look for at the driver kick? I open the cover, see alot of plugs, some have gray wires. I don't know which one. Can anyone help me? i am installing an alarm

·
on line
1,638 Posts
With kick panel removed, you should see the ignition harness in front with thick wires. Then above and to the right behind it are 2 more harnesses. One large and one small. The parking light wire is located on the larger on.

·
on line
616 Posts
One more note about Remote Starts:

The MT tranny X's have a neutral sense switch built into the tranny. The signal reads 12V or open if in any other gear than neutral and ground when in neutral.

The signal can be picked up on pin 5 of the E5/F14 junction located near the IPDM box in the engine bay.

This greatly simplifies the connection of a remote start to a manual tranny x. In fact you can use an automatic tranny remote start module. It hooks up just like an automatic except for having to feed a constant 12V to the clutch bypass relay.

Also note that many of the functions available at the BCM can be connected to at the IPDM.

See the factory service manual for details.

-Old Army

1 - 10 of 10 Posts