Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked through all the major stickies and threads that I can find but I'm still not sure which route I should take. I went and picked up a 2006 X with 69k on it. Prior to buying I was pretty sure I'd just do the bypass. Now that I've got it, I'm not sure which route to take and any help or advice would be appreciated. I'm not against replacing the radiator but will that fix the problem? If so, can anybody link to me to good quality replacement. It's just my dd and don't do any towing. Is the bypass the best option? Should I just wait until my 80k warranty is up and then replace parts? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
151 Posts
By-pass is the cheapest and easier option by far, a number of people on here have had no issues with it.

A new radiator should fix the problem as there seems to be a drop off in incidents after 2008 year, the part number from Nissan was changed to address the issue, but an aftermarket radiator would also do the trick.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I would by-pass and add a fan to the cooler that you can control with a switch.

I don't care what people say about just doing the bypass and it not getting to hot, I've been monitoring the trans temps for quite a while and when there is not a good flow of air across that cooler, those temps go waaaay up.

If you click on the link to my build thread, there is more info on what I did for it. Just another option. I would probably just add a fan to the stock cooler if I did it again though.

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
I would by-pass and add a fan to the cooler that you can control with a switch.

I don't care what people say about just doing the bypass and it not getting to hot, I've been monitoring the trans temps for quite a while and when there is not a good flow of air across that cooler, those temps go waaaay up.

If you click on the link to my build thread, there is more info on what I did for it. Just another option. I would probably just add a fan to the stock cooler if I did it again though.
Your truck is also heavy as ish and has big tires... I bet the trans temps don't raise tremendously on a stock vehicle...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Jeff_redx did all the work for us and tested temps with and without the bypass - shown here:

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30287

Whether the higher temps will kill your transmission early is for you to decide. I chose the new radiator - did it myself for under 200 bucks. Dealer install for a new rad is around 800 dollars. My thought pattern was primarily that the radiator would likely fail at some point with or without SMOD, so might as well upgrade. I did the hoses and thermostat at the same time - ended up around 225 all told - sans labor.

If I were only planning on keeping my x for a couple years I likely would have done the bypass.

·
on line
2,912 Posts
Can anyone link us to a good aftermarket replacement for the radiator?
I used a ready rad radiator from advance auto I believe. I think its made by spectra?? Check my signature.
Posted via Mobile Device

Its vista pro. Sorry. I had a choice between vista and spectra and so I called each company. Vista pro seemed the most educated on the smod and how their rads are made and with what materials. The short of it was that vista used copper/brass for their trans cooler stuff. That was good as the OEM is aluminum which I think was part of the problem caused by corrosion.

·
on line
2,868 Posts
Jeff_Redx replaced his factory radiator with the Koyo A2807. http://www.koyorad.com
The heat exchanger in the bottom of the Koyo is brass as opposed to aluminum in the nissan radiator.

Your summer temps in OK are generally a bit hotter than ours, and it's been very hot here the last couple of summers. Even if you are not towing, I would not cripple the factory cooling of the ATF by simply bypassing it.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Second vote for the Koyo. Complete drop in replacement - Apparently some other radiators need a few bolts/parts swapped over from the original. I picked mine up from the local radiator.com (1-800-radiator) distributor so I could check it out and make sure it was in good shape.

You are still 10k miles inside of the non-prorated Nissan replacement policy if your current stock one goes south (I think they start charging you at 80k miles?).

·
Registered
489 Posts
Your truck is also heavy as ish and has big tires... I bet the trans temps don't raise tremendously on a stock vehicle...
Posted via Mobile Device
I hate reading this nonsense. Your right, all these auto makers, with dozens of models using this system, do this because they are bored. They have no reason to run the trans fluid into the radiator.

There was a study done comparing average trans temp to trans life, and there is a direct correlation. So if you want to run without a cooler bypassed, be my guest, it is your trans to ruin. As for advising other people to do the same, that just pisses me off. :cussing:

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Can anyone link us to a good aftermarket replacement for the radiator?
I used the Spectra Premium CU2807 Complete Radiator from Amazon. The good was that it bolted right in without any mods or additions. In about 20K miles there have been no issues.

The bad was it was made in China. I had read other places Spectra rads were made in Canada, but mine wasn't. If I were to do it again I would look to see if I could find one made in USA.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I used the Spectra Premium CU2807 Complete Radiator from Amazon. The good was that it bolted right in without any mods or additions. In about 20K miles there have been no issues.

The bad was it was made in China. I had read other places Spectra rads were made in Canada, but mine wasn't. If I were to do it again I would look to see if I could find one made in USA.
The major difference is that a guy in China has a bad day and makes 10 crappy parts. Guy in the US has a bad day and makes 1, then goes home sick!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts