Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my heater seems to be acting funny. when i am stationary and have the temp and fan on high i still get cold air. if my x sits a while the best i get is maybe luke warm. though if im driving the heater works completly fine. i still have two months of warrenty and want to bring it up with the lot if this isnt right. any advice is helpful. thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats awesome. thanks. ill check it when i get home from work.

·
on line
350 Posts
This is an extremely common problem. Usually because your coolant is low or because you have a bubble in the heater core. Easily fixable, add coolant and drive around, the bubble will work itself out. I had the problem, I added coolant and it went away.

If the problem persists, there are a bunch of threads on the site where people use methods to work the bubbles out --- (parking on an incline, squeezing hoses, etc)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would also get it checked out for high levels of hydrocarbon aka exhaust in the rad fluid. Go to your local mechanic and explain the problem. I had the exaxt problem with my 2002 sentra and it turned out to be the head gasket. How many kms to do have on it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
on line
951 Posts
Chances are, your radiator is leaking along the bottom seam. Take a look along the engine side of the radiator. The good news is Nissan extended the warranty on the radiator.

·
on line
2,264 Posts
The clear coolant bottle is actually part of the pressurized cooling system, not an add on overflow bottle that most people grew up with. It is technically known as a de-gas bottle. unless it is full it will be letting air bubble in, not filtering them out. Taking the radiator cap off just adds a giant air bubble to the system. leave the radiator cap on, remove the degas bottle pressure cap (only when cooled off) and fill to the max line. Start and drive around a little, you may need to add a few times to fill the system and get rid of the bubble(s) in the system.

Next look for stains where the coolant is disappearing to. It is a closed system, you shouldn't be loosing any. You have a leak somewhere.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I recently had my X in the shop for the same issue. Seems I can run it forever stationary and barely get anything but a mile or two down the road its like a furnace. It wasn't like this when I first bought it and seems like it's slowly degraded or taken longer over time to heat up. Anyway, according to the tech's that worked on it, they checked all of the potential issues and problems everyone above me suggested, but found nothing wrong. According to them, Nissan parameters say it can take 10-15 minutes for the heater to reach full temperature. I took the X camping recently and timed it with the heater on full, and sure enough, after 15 minutes it was at full temp. Not sure if you'll have the same results, but if it's anything like my case, just wait longer for it to come up to temp.

·
on line
2,264 Posts
I recently had my X in the shop for the same issue. Seems I can run it forever stationary and barely get anything but a mile or two down the road its like a furnace. It wasn't like this when I first bought it and seems like it's slowly degraded or taken longer over time to heat up. Anyway, according to the tech's that worked on it, they checked all of the potential issues and problems everyone above me suggested, but found nothing wrong. According to them, Nissan parameters say it can take 10-15 minutes for the heater to reach full temperature. I took the X camping recently and timed it with the heater on full, and sure enough, after 15 minutes it was at full temp. Not sure if you'll have the same results, but if it's anything like my case, just wait longer for it to come up to temp.
Have you checked the coolant level? Bring it up to the max mark when cold and that will solve most every cold heat at idle complaint.

·
Registered
21 Posts
my heater seems to be acting funny. when i am stationary and have the temp and fan on high i still get cold air. if my x sits a while the best i get is maybe luke warm. though if im driving the heater works completly fine. i still have two months of warrenty and want to bring it up with the lot if this isnt right. any advice is helpful. thanks.
Wow! My first day on this site and I already find a solution to a vexing problem! Though a fellow Xterra owner said it was an "known problem" with the Xterra.

I'll try to top off the coolant tonight as now that the chilly weather is here I'm freezing my butt off at stop lights! :geek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts