Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm hoping the experts here can lend a little help. I am an Ex-Xterra owner (2001). I loved the truck and it was stolen from me(still bitter!) several years ago. I'm in the market for another one and have a few questions.

I am looking for something in the 2005-2010 range most likely. I'd like to keep the budget to under 18k in order to spend some money on a lift, parts, etc.

Questions:

- Opinions on differences between the earlier year 2nd gens and 2008+? Keeping in mind I will be wheeling. Gear ratio's, diff lock's, etc..
- Recalls/problems. I've seen the recalls online but are there any other common issues I should be aware of? I saw someone mention that earlier year 2nd gen's had timing chain issues as an example.
- Anything else I should be aware of?

Just starting my research and excited to get another one. Cheers everyone!

Dan

:eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Early 2nd gen(05-08) had issues with timing chain and SMOD(trans fluid/coolant mixing), and IPDM failure(electric). IPDM had a recall, don't recall if timing did otomh, SMOD has a warranty extension(partially covered based on mileage.Rear leafsprings are rather on the soft side, not a good ride with a decent weight load in the back.

SMOD can be avoided by bypassing the radiator, easy.

Pro4 or OffRoad trim in my opinion is what you would want as this will give you the Elocker in the rear. Or you could get an ARB airlocker for the other trims.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
All second gens are pretty capable out of the factory, though the Off-Road/Pro-4X gives you the rear locker and lower gear ratios.

As noted, the earlier years are where most of the problems manifested - aim for newer (09+). Nothing major to report for those years so far.

As early as 2012, the rear passenger headrests got huge! If visibility is important, take that into consideration. The current model year adds some electronics and a rear camera.

Also, where are you? There are a few rigs up for sale here, namely Xterra_Mayo's truck that I can think of off the top of my head. It's been built with armor and a Titan Swap with ProComp 7089s (wiiiide load).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies - great info. I'm in Vancouver, Canada. I did see Xterra_Mayo's truck. Looks great but I believe it's in RI - a bit far..

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Its really easy to check for the trans/radiator issue. You can either buy a testing strip to bring with you when you check them out or take of the radiator cap and look for the red goo that builds up. I have an 06 and never had the radiator/trans mix problem or a problem with my timing chain. Maybe I'm just lucky but at 111,000 the only problem I've ever had was the fuel sensor for the gauge being defective.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
When I bought my SE, I was trying to find an offroad or pro4x model used, but just couldn't find any. New ones were way too expensive for me. I wish I had found one, mainly for the rear locker, but frankly, open diff's still get you plenty far. I do like the leather seats - easy to clean mud off of and juice drinks that my kids spill, also no dog hair gets into them. The factory Rockford radio is decent (as long as you're playing a CD). I paid a little more than the $18k you're talking about, but mine's a 2010 4x4 and had 50k on it.

I personally shy away from heavily modded vehicles. You never know if they owner ghetto modded things.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In a word...

Don't.

I purchased a used 07 S a year and half ago and just recently ran into an ungodly mess of repairs: ECM replacement, throttle body replacement, IPDM replacement, rear end replacement, and faulty FSU (not covered under the recall apparently).

Now my radiator is leaking - I haven't noticed any AT fluid under the rad cap and will be checking the AT dipstick this evening (they bolted it shut for some awful reason). At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to find out coolant has infiltrated the AT.

Stay away from the model years of Xs that have been most plagued by the faulty radiator. Nissan will only cover a portion of the cost to replace the AT and radiator up to 100k miles. There will be no formal recall until the NHTSB determines it as a safety issue.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Don't.

I purchased a used 07 S a year and half ago and just recently ran into an ungodly mess of repairs: ECM replacement, throttle body replacement, IPDM replacement, rear end replacement, and faulty FSU (not covered under the recall apparently).

Now my radiator is leaking - I haven't noticed any AT fluid under the rad cap and will be checking the AT dipstick this evening (they bolted it shut for some awful reason). At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to find out coolant has infiltrated the AT.

Stay away from the model years of Xs that have been most plagued by the faulty radiator. Nissan will only cover a portion of the cost to replace the AT and radiator up to 100k miles. There will be no formal recall until the NHTSB determines it as a safety issue.

Why haven't you bypassed yet??. it took me about 10min DO IT! :violent1:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Its really easy to check for the trans/radiator issue. You can either buy a testing strip to bring with you when you check them out or take of the radiator cap and look for the red goo that builds up. I have an 06 and never had the radiator/trans mix problem or a problem with my timing chain. Maybe I'm just lucky but at 111,000 the only problem I've ever had was the fuel sensor for the gauge being defective.
Same here - I haven't really run into any problems on my 05 till I reached around 100k miles or so. I too had a faulty fuel sensor which caused the fuel gauge to become stuck. Other issues I had were with the radiator at around 100k miles, heater core just recently at 144k miles, and just the usual wear and tear items that needed to be replaced. No issues with the timing chain at all - knock on wood.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Transmission/radiator issue.. I recently asked about that issues. My stealership looked up my truck and told me "you don't have the radiator that had that problem." I have a 2005 OR. I'm sure you can have a local dealer run the VIN for recall issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As long as it's within the extended warranty period Nissan will cover the entire cost of the radiator/trans repair. I know this from experience.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Since you will be hitting the trails I'd say hold out for an Offroad or Pro-4x model if you can so you can get the lower gear ratios and locking rear diff. Worth it on my opinion, just my opinion though. At the end of the day can't go wrong with an X. I've never once regretted my decision to go with my '10 Offroad. Happy hunting.

·
on line
461 Posts
Honestly, the radiator on a used truck wouldn't worry me much. As long as it hasn't failed yet, you can either do the bypass or replace it with the newest version directly from Nissan (assuming the car in question is cheaper than your other options).

I've got an 07 SE with 98k on it now. The only issues I've ever had are the fuel gauge (fixed under recall/warranty) and timing chain issue, which I have yet to fix (may just be buying a new X instead). Make em start the car cold for you so can properly check for this issue.

With a budget of 18k, I'd guess you should be able to find the trim you want in the 2008 model year. I'd shoot for an 08 just because the car its self (electrical, plastics, etc) is gonna be a whole year newer and won't cost you much more.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Since you will be hitting the trails I'd say hold out for an Offroad or Pro-4x model if you can so you can get the lower gear ratios and locking rear diff. Worth it on my opinion, just my opinion though. At the end of the day can't go wrong with an X. I've never once regretted my decision to go with my '10 Offroad. Happy hunting.
are the gear ratios actually different?

*looked it up and it seems they are for the auto but not the manual

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
are the gear ratios actually different?

*looked it up and it seems they are for the auto but not the manual
Depends on the year. Early had 3.54 non-off-road and 3.69 off-road. A couple years ago they simplified the build and started putting 3.69 in all stick shifts. But the off-road/pro4x is the only version with the locker.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Transmission/radiator issue.. I recently asked about that issues. My stealership looked up my truck and told me "you don't have the radiator that had that problem." I have a 2005 OR. I'm sure you can have a local dealer run the VIN for recall issues.

This was me too! I took it in and they said my vehicle would not be affected, sure enough 20k miles later, here I am. :scratch:

·
Registered
378 Posts
And you settled in peace with that - what dealership told you? :confused: I was told at Nissan dealership that they never heard of that issue! I guess SMOD doesn't exist and we all are imagining it then...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts