Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,
I'm going to replace my rotors in the coming weeks, and am wondering if there are any other recommended maintenance items or typical replacement items that I should hit while I have it jacked up and the wheels off. I have to clean out my wiper fluid reservoir because there's a bunch of leaf litter in there, so going to have to do that regardless.

Please let me know if this is more suited for the Breaks/Tires/Wheels forum.

Thanks in advance.

·
TNX Veteran
4,541 Posts
Make sure you clean and re-grease the pins on the calipers.
^^ this. I just had brake pads wear out after 20,000 miles and destroy my rotor cus a pin was seized and wasn't returning it to the right position.

Would be worth also adjusting your parking brake if it is having issues. Mine needs new pads, but I doubt yours does being a 2014. But there is more adjustment available at the rear than just in the handle.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Clean wheels, rotate tires, inspect brake lines, new brake fluid & flush, grease caliper pins and pad liners, adjust parking brake shoes to new rear rotor inner diameters...

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Don’t let air in the abs pump

Don’t ask me how I know
Anybody know what scan tool cycles our abs pumps!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Apply anti seize on the mating surfaces between the wheel and rotors....makes taking off wheels 10000% easier in the future. Rotate the tires while you at it, if you're due.

·
TNX Veteran
4,541 Posts
Apply anti seize on the mating surfaces between the wheel and rotors....makes taking off wheels 10000% easier in the future. Rotate the tires while you at it, if you're due.
Wheel and rotors...? Does your wheel rust onto the rotor and get stuck or something? I don't think I've ever had that problem. Plus it seems like you can just kick the tire and knock it loose

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Typically, yes you can just kick it off. I've never not been able to get one off but I've had some fight me. More important if you live in an area that causes a lot of corrosion.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Typically, yes you can just kick it off. I've never not been able to get one off but I've had some fight me. More important if you live in an area that causes a lot of corrosion.
I drove my Frontier through four winters in North Dakota and my Xterra through two now and never had that problem.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Don't take my word for it, lol.

Btw, I just helped my brother do brakes on this JK and we had to hammer off 3 out of 4 of them, so I do know what I'm talking. Some of the time anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts