Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in continued talks with a certain gear manufacturer, although they asked me to not say who (you can figure it out, I'm sure). Their plan was to get a 3.69 set for the R180 and reverse engineer it to 4.10. That way they could offer a 4.10 to an X or Fronty owner w/ a manual or OR just by throwing in the rear 4.10 from their upcoming Titan set.

So... I did some research and got them a P/N for the R180 3.69 gearset (not sure why they couldn't do that themselves). The new problem is that the R180 3.69 and 3.53 gear ratios are currently not available in the US, according to Courtesy Parts, and are on some sort of nationwide backorder. WTF?! The guy I've been working with at the gear company said that he had a "contact" or two at Nissan who might be able to get them.

My first thought was, "Ok, if you have a contact why did you need me to track down the right part number for you?"

Call me a pessimist, but I'm going to guess that because of this backorder issue, they're not going to be able to get anything right away. If they can't, I bet the idea gets tabled for quite some time. And even if they could get it, I bet it would be at least another 6-8 months at least before production units became available.

I was lurking over at Titantalk and saw an old thread from PRG about gear sets for the Titan. He apparently met with the president of an un-named gear company in SoCal in September of 2006. Greg supplied axles and was told that they would have the gears out in 6 months. Well... I think that company was supe (oh wait... I'm not supposed to say it) and they still don't have the gears for the Titan out. Needless to say, Greg wasn't happy. He never did confirm which company it was, so it might not have been the big 'S.'

Wasn't it Precision Gear that the XterraRacer guys were working with? I remember him saying that we would have gears and a "solution" for the front diff (which I'm guessing was just hardened carrier internal replacements) by the end of the summer. I called Precision this morning. They are manufacturing 4.10 and 4.56 gearsets and hope to have them on sale at the first of the year. Oh yeah, that's for the Titan. I asked about gears for the axles in the X and Fronty. He said that he hadn't heard anything about it. :angry7:

First of the year? Uh-huh. We'll see. If it does happen it might push me closer to bolting up that Titan front diff. It's still a piece of crap but at least I would have gears...

Oh yeah. I asked the aforementioned (not Precision) gear company about whether or not they had ever done any T/C reduction gears. I was willing to ship them a LOW mileage junker T/C. It's not anything they want to get into. Their advice was to call Calmini or Advanced Adapters. Calmini said they don't have any plans ( :thebirdman: ), and it would probably be a couple more years until they thought about it. I highly doubt Advanced would touch these trucks with a 10 foot pole.

Anybody have any good news for the day?

·
on line
735 Posts
You can get an atlas 3.8 for like $1900. don't polish any nissan t/c turds.. you'll need an adapter though.

will the old cast iron xterra front diff accept our axles?? I suppose not.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Get BoonDox to send them his stuff, Im sure he wont mind... Hell i will pay for the shipment of the stuff.

Shawn, call the guys up and say we can ship them a front, and a rear (c200) diff if they want one. He had an SE model and that is the set of gears they wanted right?? That way the only excuse they have is saying, 'uhh, never mind we never had any plans for this in the first place. We just wanted to yank your chain around for a while!'

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
S_e_X-Terra said:
Get BoonDox to send them his stuff, Im sure he wont mind... Hell i will pay for the shipment of the stuff.

Shawn, call the guys up and say we can ship them a front, and a rear (c200) diff if they want one. He had an SE model and that is the set of gears they wanted right?? That way the only excuse they have is saying, 'uhh, never mind we never had any plans for this in the first place. We just wanted to yank your chain around for a while!'
I'm at the point where I would be willing to buy a junker R180 and send it in if Superior can't get their hands on a R&P from Nissan. If Boon agrees I'll gladly chip in some money for the shipping. They really can't say no to free axles. Even if we can get it going, I have a hunch it's gonna be a while. I think Greg sent them some Titan axles over a year ago, and they're still not out yet. I'm supposed to check back in with the guy here in a couple weeks. I'll run the idea by him.

·
on line
4,495 Posts
mike100 said:
You can get an atlas 3.8 for like $1900. don't polish any nissan t/c turds.. you'll need an adapter though.

will the old cast iron xterra front diff accept our axles?? I suppose not.
No, the Gen1 Xs used R200A while GenIIs use R180A, even the old cast iron R180A won't work...according to TXR.

Advanced Adapters makes an AtlasII xcase for the Titan, someone COULD see if it would work properly. But thats a lot of money to experiment with.....

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Peck said:
BTW, Sean/Shawn (sorry forgot which way you spelled it), what do they mean by:

Their plan was to get a 3.69 set for the R180 and reverse engineer it to 4.10.
?
I'm sure that some gearhead on here can correct me if I'm wrong on my theory.

As you lower your ring gear ratio (which actually goes up numerically... like 3.73 to 4.10), the thickness of the ring gear increases. That being said, the thickest of the available OE gears would be 3.69.

The best thing to do would be to have an entire diff and carrier to play around with so that you could calculate just how much thicker the 4.10 (or an even lower gear) would need to be, ideally. Superior doesn't have an axle. The next best thing that they can do is get a 3.69 set and make the 4.10 the same size, thereby reducing the number of shims that need to be used to get proper backlash.

Does that sound right, or am I way off base here?

·
on line
735 Posts
the pinion gear would lose a tooth and get smaller..the ring gear would get thicker. 4.10 is not a big deal, but if you make the pinion small enough, It will be weaker than the original ratio. too thick is not good, so the carrier would be redesigned to position the ring gear closer to the ever shrinking pinion.

I wouldn't spend any money on the stock diff. A custom transfer case ratio over 3.69's or whatever other stock ratios would be a more economical way to get low range reduction without touching the axles. The extra TQ muliplication from the additional gearing might wreak havoc with the R180A. I've been over this a few times in my head and the solution is always to pretty much leave it all stock or wait until nissan comes out with a cast iron upgrade (if ever).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts