I just performed this upgrade on my 2012 Xterra S using newly purchased Non-illuminated steering wheel controls from eBay and a Metra Axxess ASWC-1. It did not require soldering of resistors.
I started with ClearStars instructions but then had some difficulty because, as you know, the pins positions in the steering wheel harness do NOT match to the pin positions in the steering column harness. So I had to buy a Multi-Meter and trace the leads to find out which of the pins matched which harness position. Special thanks for ClearStar for the great original instructions and inspiration, as well as everyone else who has tried this and posted their variations and results. I never would have had the confidence to go through this without all of you!!!
If you would like to do perform this upgrade on a 2012 Xterra S
model, here is what I did:
PARTS LIST :
STEERING WHEEL HARNESS
1. Follow steps 1 - 6 of CearStar's instructions in post #1.
2. Install the new switch panels and torque screws and plug it in once the plug has been pinned correctly and put back together.
3. Carefully take the RED wire from the OLD
steering wheel controls. (I detached my OLD
cruise controls, cut the wire where it connected to the little box. This gave me about 6 inches and the pin connection.
STEERING COLUMN HARNESS
1. Cut the Green wire away from the car leaving about 2 inches of slack to work with. (No need to cut the existing red.). Using your extra 22 gauge wire, add about 8 - 12 inches to the existing green wire.
2. Take the RED wire with the pin attached and using your extra 22 gauge wire, add about 8 inches of wire length.
3. Add these 2 wire pins to the Steering column harness.
4 Here is a chart of where the wires match up to in the 2 harnesses:
View attachment 138947
METRA AXXESS INSTALL & PROGRAMMING
1. Download the instructions from the Metra Axxess Website
2. Install the black wire to ground & and the red wire to Accessory 12v power
3. Connect the Gray/Red wire of the ASWC -1 to the NEW RED wire of the steering column harness
4. Connect the White/Green wire of the ASWC -1 to the NEW GREEN wire of the steering column harness
5. Program the Axxess for your stereo. In my case I have a Sony XAV-AX100. After a call to Metra support I had to program the Axxess to Stereo type 22(Axxera stereo). Then on my stereo use the custom mapping for steering wheel controls to set them up. Everything works great now!
View attachment 138941
View attachment 138942
View attachment 138970