Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
on line
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Early last year I installed the OME Dakar HD leaf packs with extra leaf. After addng gear and passengers the X sags more than I like. I can not afford to go with Alcans. If I purchase a second "extra leaf" and added it to the pack, besides getting more lift than I desire, do I run any other risks or is it even possible to add another leaf to these packs?

Here is the leaf
http://nissteclifts.com/index.php?p...tegory_id=157&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=76

·
on line
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not looking for lift looking for no sag. I want to be able to add gear and people with minimal sag.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Either helper springs (approx $60) or air bags (approx $240) are good options that will help you with what you need. The helper springs may give you about 1" lift when not loaded though...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You're asking the rear suspension to handle more weight and flex less. There is only one option and that is to make the rear end have a higher spring rate. You can do this with either air bags, adding a leaf, adding a helper spring (leaf or coil helper), or something like Timbrens.

I added helper leaf springs to my X and it raised the rear about 1/3". For $60, it's worth a try. I even have the cheapo Autozone ones... $45. They work.

·
on line
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tony, I ordered another OME add a leaf from Endangered Species. I am going to try and add them to the existing pack.I need to do something, with all my work gear in the truck and whatnot my leafs are flattening out as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
1,296 Posts
Tony, I ordered another OME add a leaf from Endangered Species. I am going to try and add them to the existing pack.I need to do something, with all my work gear in the truck and whatnot my leafs are flattening out as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
It should work, may need longer center pins and u bolts. I had some u bolts made at a spring place in Springfield pretty cheap if you need some.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
As someone looking to do a full OME suspension package, I am now a bit concerned about that Dakar pack...
Probably best taken to another thread, but consider what you have to transport in your X on a daily basis. If it's not a lot, then proceed with your OME - mine is fine without the overload leaf after ten months and I'm consistently carrying two to three hundred pounds of stuff in my truck on top of myself. Last time I saw it, Ripper's truck was packed to the gills inside, as well as carrying the weight of a Dephep and tire carrier with a 33.

All leaf springs eventually flatten out (unless they are completely overengineered), OME is not the exception.

·
on line
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a full load of recovery gear, tools, a rear tire swing with 33, a DepHep and now EMS/Search and Rescue gear plus a ton of other gear. My old boss liked saying I kept my garage in the back of my X
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I have been running timbrens and helwigs on a 2 year old shackle lift. I lost ~1/4" early on but I am holding steady around 2". They have held up through fully loaded camping trips, my daily work tools and gear, and many wheeling trips. When fully loaded for the weekend with camping gear and my family of 5 + dog and a full cooler on the rear hitch tray, it sags to ~1" above the timbrens (usually it sits ~2" above the timbrens). I am just about to add my fist AAL to get the rear up closer to 3" but that is just to get some rake back after setting the front coils.

I know this setup is a bit unorthodox but my theory is the helwigs help with the load and timbrens keep the leafs from deforming too much. So far it has been working. I don't think this will help leaf packs that are already sagging....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts