Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I added some Hellwig helper springs and Im still bottoming the back end out over deep road dips. I upgraded the rear shocks to the 5100's and did the 550lb helper spring, and Im still having the issue. I realize some are going to say to use the AAL, but I dont want to lift the rear (yet) and some are going to say to put Timbrens in.. I would rather stay off the bump stops in the first place than use the bump stops as a bandaid..

Short of going to the stealership and getting a whole new leaf pack for both sides, what should I do? I mean the Hellwigs helped, but did not solve the problem.

Maybe I should just step up to a 2" suspension lift and put some Dakar springs in?? :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I added a set of the Dakar springs and it solved all of my bottoming out issues specially when towing my camper. there is also the option of going with a set of alcans or even getting custom springs made to suit your needs

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
i like how you dont think hellwigs are a bandaid but you think timbrens are.
I know Hellwigs are a bandaid. My background in suspension lies solely with my old vehicles. I setup 3 Camaros for nothing more than road-course work.. Bump-stops were still there, but I did everything I could to keep them from being used via sway bars and spring rate and shock tuning.

I understand that Timbrens are a rubber shock system, but I have it so deeply engrained into me that bump-stops are only a last resort to keep from causing suspension damage, that I am hesitant to use them. On a track, if you hit the stops mid corner, it very well could upset the chassis and cause an off, due to the rapid increase in compression resistance encountered by the rear axle... The goal was to get them close, but to keep them off for the most part.

I would like the springs to effectively keep the axle off the bump stops.. hence wanting to add the hellwigs vs. timbrens.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It all comes down to how much money you want to spend. Other than new leaf packs everything is a bandaid,its as simple as that. Some just do a better job then others. Personally I went new Dakar packs a while back and problem solved.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Do the Dakar springs ride all that rough? They also add lift too dont they?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I don't think AAL would add too much lift. Isn't the leaf you add the one just under the main leaf? If so, then the only lift you should get is the actual thickness of the spring itself - what maybe half inch? Other than that, you don't hit it until the suspension starts compressing. Or do I have this wrong?

·
on line
1,298 Posts
Do the Dakar springs ride all that rough? They also add lift too dont they?
Yes they add lift 1.5-2" i think,rode great to me but I was used to driving a truck. I was fed up with bottoming out also so this was the fix I chose. Again,its all in what you want to do,you can get custom leafs from alcan with no lift but they are pricey. Good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Theyre just longer bumpstops. Do nothing to support the suspension
shows how much you know. they do the same job your beloved air bags do with less hassle. they are designed to be used to reduce sag when loaded down, and reduce sway when towing or not running a sway bar.

to the op, timbrens are more than a bumpstop, its not a hard rubber that your used to. it can compress almost 75% and the compression is very progressive so you dont even know they are there, no hard jarring when you use them.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
shows how much you know. they do the same job your beloved air bags do with less hassle. they are designed to be used to reduce sag when loaded down, and reduce sway when towing or not running a sway bar.

to the op, timbrens are more than a bumpstop, its not a hard rubber that your used to. it can compress almost 75% and the compression is very progressive so you dont even know they are there, no hard jarring when you use them.
Good info.. I may have to take a serious look into these.. Thanks!!!

·
on line
1,511 Posts
OP, are you really hitting the bump stops, or are the spring paks contacting the "Overload" leaf? The only time I've ever hit the bumpstop was in full articulation while off-road. The overload leafs require a serious load to deflect. I put Helwigs on my 06, tightened them all the way and they keep me off the overloads unless I am towing.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Good info.. I may have to take a serious look into these.. Thanks!!!
are you bottoming out when empty? or only with people in the back seat or a load in the back? if you need the extra spring rate for carrying stuff but not all the time you might also look into some airbag assist for the rears.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts