Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, sad news...

My three week old 2007 Xterra Model S 4X4 was in an accident today.

My girlfriend and I were on our way out for the evening, and only a mile up the road from her house, we were hit by an oncoming car.

We were turning left onto a road where the speed limit is 50. Neither of us saw the other driver, at all. We were halfway through making the turn, and I looked to my left, and was able to calmly say "that car is going to hit us." Sure enough, in one second of me ending my statement, he did...

The driver who was driving a 1998 Pontiac GrandAA, struck my truck right on the back left tire. He was driving at 60 mph.

We were shaken up quite a bit, and after about five seconds of air bag white smoke, and sliding onto the shoulder of the road, we were able to exit the vehicle.

The damage is somewhat minimal. My back left end is quite torn up, and the rear axle is probably toast, and a lot of body work is surly needed.

When we got out of the truck, my peripheral vision got a glance of the other vehicle, and one thought was going through my mind: "he's dead."

His vehicle looked like a freight train hit it head on. I was amazed that he emerged from the wreck with nothing but a cut on his hand.

We were very lucky. Someone was watching out for us.

I am only 19, and this is the first accident I have ever been in, so I must say that even hours after, I am VERY shaken up.

I have been thinking though, my car before this was a 2002 Saturn SL2, had we been in that, I think that there is no doubt that at least I would be gone. So, in a nutshell, being that the Xterra is so well built, and high off the ground, it saved at least my life.

I just wanted to make a post on the site describing the accident, so that maybe it would help calm my nerves. I also thought that this would be a good place to post (I will also post on www.xterraownersclub.com) seeing as how some of you could possibly hold some ounce of interest in the topic. And for those of you who have made it this far, thank you.

However, since the two of us are okay (only a few minor aches and pains, which I'm sure will be much worse tomorrow morning) I should have nothing to worry about. I understand how lucky I am, and thank God every time I think about what happened.

The only thing I worry about is the truck. Maybe someone could help me out with this?

I know that insurance is going to take care of this one way or another. However, I do have some questions: If insurance says that all of the damage is repairable, will the truck be (when it is finished) just like it was when we pulled out of the driveway minutes before the accident? And if insurance decides to total it, will they give me a fair value for the vehicle? I payed twenty-six thousand, and some change for the vehicle, and I put down five thousand; so I am financing some twenty-one thousand dollars. The vehicle is a 2007 Model S 4x4 auto with 1,600 miles, I would hope that I could get at least enough to finish my payments.

Again, thank you to all who made it this far. I appreciate any time you were able to give my post.

·
on line
64 Posts
well your safe thats all that matters. The X can be rebuilt. but glad you and your GF are both safe. They always shake you up just try and relax a little listen to your favorite music, eat something you really like, just try and get your mind off it

·
on line
1,884 Posts
One way or another your X will work itself out. Forget about it.

What is important now is you take care of yourself and your GF. You are correct in that tomorrow you will be sore. Ibuprofen (sp?) is your friend. Plus watch your back legally. Don't say anyhting to anybody unless they are your lawyer.

Good luck and I'm glad you are ok!

·
on line
400 Posts
I would agree with others, dont worry about the X for now as you said the insurance company will deal with it, for now try to focus on yourself and GF.

(seriously whats with all of these accidents) :dontknow:

·
on line
1,479 Posts
NyCXterra said:
I would agree with others, dont worry about the X for now as you said the insurance company will deal with it, for now try to focus on yourself and GF.

yeah, isn't this the third one we read about this week?

but I am glad you guys are ok. And definitely someone is looking after you and your GF. as they have said before, the X will work it self out and even if it doesn't I would be thankful to her for taking good care of you guys.

get a good lawyer too

·
on line
400 Posts
BGXterra said:
NyCXterra said:

yeah, isn't this the third one we read about this week?

but I am glad you guys are ok. And definitely someone is looking after you and your GF. as they have said before, the X will work it self out and even if it doesn't I would be thankful to her for taking good care of you guys.

get a good lawyer too
like someone said earlier, "thats it im keeping my X in the garage till this madness ends"

Thenewx angel is watching over them :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

·
on line
1,716 Posts
These wrecks have got to stop...I leaving mine in the garage for now.

I'm glad everyone is ok. Focus on your GF and yourself, that is what is important. Your X will be taken care of judging from some of the other wrecks yours seems like it is comparable and I haven't heard of one that has been totaled.

·
on line
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. I can't express how each and every one of your comments have made me a little more relaxed. This means so much to me. To think that a complete bunch of strangers are as nice, and willing to help as you guys really makes me thankful.

Again, thank you.

·
on line
259 Posts
sfit88 said:
Thank you. I can't express how each and every one of your comments have made me a little more relaxed. This means so much to me. To think that a complete bunch of strangers are as nice, and willing to help as you guys really makes me thankful.

Again, thank you.
Thats why this site is so awesome, great group of guys and gals.

Also, you not kidding about all these accidents, I had two close calls last week within a day of each other, REAL close, like I sat there after the fact on both occasions wondering how I didnt just get destroyed. One guy blew through a red light at an intersection (that I happened to be in the middle of) at about 65. No idea how he didnt hit me.

·
on line
64 Posts
sfit88 said:

Again, thank you.
Though I'm new here, I know what I've gone though and we have to look out for our fellow Nissan owners. Hope your feeling a little better

·
on line
13 Posts
Sfit88 glad you and your GF are ok. I know how you feel, just was in an accident in Dec. with my month old X. When your feeling better pm me and I'll let you know what had happened with dealing with the insurance etc. Hope you feel better.

·
on line
48 Posts
Hey man- the important thing is that you and your girl are ok. the insurance shit will work out.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
X11 said:
sfit88 said:

Again, thank you.
Thats why this site is so awesome, great group of guys and gals.

Also, you not kidding about all these accidents, I had two close calls last week within a day of each other, REAL close, like I sat there after the fact on both occasions wondering how I didnt just get destroyed. One guy blew through a red light at an intersection (that I happened to be in the middle of) at about 65. No idea how he didnt hit me.
wow... glad your are ok.
I am writing down this week on my calendar... just in case the accidents repeat next year

by the way. For some reason I can see that cartoon actually being our guardian angel :geek:

·
Super Moderator
2,600 Posts
I can relate to how you felt after the accdient - shooken up. Definitely keep the Ibuprofen around for the next couple of days.

As for the truck, yes, it's built very well. It did protect you. If the insurance company decides to total it, just look at the final amount that they are going to pay you. If it's way off from the recent invoice, then talk to them about it. You have some room to play with there. If they do not want to budge, then I would look into getting a lawyer to see if you can get any extra help.

And if the insurance company says it can be repaired, I'm sure a Nissan body shop can bring the X back to life.

·
on line
971 Posts
I remember my first accident also. I thought that I was never going to drive again. I guess I was too tramatized. If you're that way, then you will probably just need to rebuild your confidence back up again by just driving shorter places (i.e. around the neighborhood) and then you will surely enough regain your confidence.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I think when the weather breaks, people let their guard down a little on both sides. Never a good time to do that, hazards always change, we have motorcycles itching to come out (I've seen a few) Spring break people, maybe even intoxicated or impaired in some way. People like us breaking collector cars out of storage, who knows if the brake lines rusted or if it is running just right. You got that salt stuff on the road making a loos of traction pretty easy. Wildlife is on the spring move... and so are people in general. So, look out.

You can think of more hazards I am sure, just always thing like that.

when driving late at night, look out for drunks, but near a bar, look out for fresh drunks.

MC

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Glad that you are both okay. Don't worry about the truck. It's easy to get another just not possible to get that same person back if something bad happens. The insurance will work out as others say. They usually pay the depreciated value of the truck when it comes to totaling it out. Do you have gap insurance? That might help cover the rest of what the insurance doesn't pay ya.

·
on line
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, We just found out from the body shop guy that the total for the repairs will be $23,400. However, I have not heard from the insurance company about totaling it or not. I bought the truck for 26,500 and had it for three weeks, while putting 1,600 miles on it. I owe $21,000 on the loan. If they do total it, I hope to at least break even (get a check for at least $21,000)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts