Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
Joined
·
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay i'm not running the AC in my vehicle.
The other day looked under my vehicle and
it was dripping water. Like when you run the AC
any other time. I turned up the fan speed on the controls.
It felt cold enough to be AC. Then i actually turned the AC
on and not much but any temp change. So maybe the ac
is possibly stuck on?
________
BMW M57 HISTORY
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
I generally run my X on DC nat AC but....:geek:


Try switching through all settings as you are moving down the road. Good air flow to improve the efficiency of the AC. Remember that there can be condensation especially in Humid areas even if the AC is off.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
186 Posts
I usually run the AC in my vehicle and it seems like it drips a ton of water right next to the front passenger side tire. As for the AC, if I run the defroster or AC and then turn them off, it seems like they remain on until the I turn the X off. Not sure if that helps or not.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Mine drips next to the tire too. It does it everytime even if i
don't run the AC. I should get the voltage meter out and check if
it countiously getting power. Didn't want to do this but no other choice.
________
Medical Marijuana
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,217 Posts
If you happen to run the fan set to defrost your windshield and have the dial turned to cold somehow it actually tricks the compressor to think that the dial is set to ac so that's why you have air that comes out as cold as when you really run ac even though it's not set for it. Whenever you set the dial to run the defrost the compressor automatically runs. Just the design of it. I was running simply cold air in the truck aimed at the windshield since it wasn't hot enough out side yet to run ac as it made the truck to cold but ended up kicking it on anyways. The only way that I could get it to turn off was to actually wait until I made my pit stop and fuel up. Then it was reset.

Whenever the compressor operates even when the ac is not on it will drip water as mentioned above. No worries on that one.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,938 Posts
The AC dripping water is a result of the dew point.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,484 Posts
kokopop said:
The AC dripping water is a result of the dew point.
You can get more technical than that, mention relative humidity, evaporation, change of molecules, condensation, r134a, wind speed, and the effect the sun, moon, stars and driver preference has, then, explain your answer. I can't let ya off with that one liner! :nike:

JK wit ya!
MC
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
my theory is if the compressor is running thats stealing HP and
extra fuel. Also i was told from the dealership that the fan for the
vent always run even if it is set at 0/ off setting.
________
Volcano digital review
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,081 Posts
Not turned my AC off for about 3 months now, damn AZ summers! :)

On Humid days all the cars here drip, unless being driven by illegals - In which case they normally use Poor mans AC (Removing the rear window and having the side windows open).
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
I might be wrong but what i have found is that depending on the humidity out side, the defroster will turn the ac on, I believe this reduces the humidity coming to the truk b c it all condenses at the AC unit thus clearing your window faster. I don't get the AC on when i use the deforster all the time, only in really humid days.

you can tell if your AC's compresor is working or not. park the truck and let it Idle. turn the AC on if you can see a minor drop in rpm's then it engaged, now turn it off, you will see a slight spike in rpm's and then back to regular Idle speed.

just my two cents
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,938 Posts
USMC XTERRA said:
kokopop said:
The AC dripping water is a result of the dew point.
You can get more technical than that, mention relative humidity, evaporation, change of molecules, condensation, r134a, wind speed, and the effect the sun, moon, stars and driver preference has, then, explain your answer. I can't let ya off with that one liner! :nike:

JK wit ya!
MC
The dew point is the temperature at which water condensate forms. If there is a 100 %RH, then the current temperature is the dew point temperature.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
And I thought it was when you finally got off your ass and did something...
 

·
on line
Joined
·
135 Posts
It's very common for the AC compressor to run in the Defrost mode in most cars these days. You can have the temp dial set all the way to hot and the compressor will run. The idea is to reduce the moisture in the cabin by drying the air. With a defrost setting set, you certainly melt the frost on the windows, but where does all the melted moisture go? Well, the AC condensor collects the moisture as the air passes through it and then it drips off.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
49 Posts
dan galusha said:
If you happen to run the fan set to defrost your windshield and have the dial turned to cold somehow it actually tricks the compressor to think that the dial is set to ac so that's why you have air that comes out as cold as when you really run ac even though it's not set for it. Whenever you set the dial to run the defrost the compressor automatically runs. Just the design of it. I was running simply cold air in the truck aimed at the windshield since it wasn't hot enough out side yet to run ac as it made the truck to cold but ended up kicking it on anyways. The only way that I could get it to turn off was to actually wait until I made my pit stop and fuel up. Then it was reset.

Whenever the compressor operates even when the ac is not on it will drip water as mentioned above. No worries on that one.
I just found this phenomenon this weekend after noticing cold air with the AC off. I looked it up in the manual, and it is according to what you wrote.

I think it is stupid it assumes you want the AC on all fan settings, even if you just needed to clear the windshield for 10 seconds at the beginning of a trip.

It should reset off when you put the fan onto the dash or floor settings.

mitt
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top