Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any preferences or functional protective differences other than design? Such as, you slam down onto a rock, which will protect the best sort of thing?

I see with the Shrockworks diff cover, you have to bolt it directly to the diff, then it seems the only issue is you have to check for leakage later.

The AC diff cover looks like is goes right over top and just cover it, but is there a big difference in protection with either?

·
on line
589 Posts
I personally dislike the AC one quite a bit. A few reasons are:

1. You lose almost 1.5" of clearance at the lowest point in the car (not form fitting like the Shrock)

2. It does a decent job protecting the front, but the front is the strong part of the diff, it's the rear that needs the protection.

3. I found this out in the snow, but if you make an attempt to go up a tough spot in a trail and don't make it, then end up sliding back down, the AC plate works like a hook/shovel (going backwards) and grabs anything it helped protect you from when you went up. Imagine scraping going up on the diff cover, not making it, and sliding back down. Then the AC plate could instead of easily sliding off...grip whatever you rubbed on initially and either rip itself off the car or worse rip out wherever you have it mounted on.

Just my 2 cents though...

·
on line
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, didn't think about having to back up and the rear being the weakest link, cause it does happen when you have to get reset for another approach.

And the Shovel analogy makes perfect sense.

Thanks Erick.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
AC skid sucks. Don't buy it.

·
on line
589 Posts
Pretty much what I was getting at, but with the reasons why I found it's design to be lacking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts