Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice little box waiting for me when I got home thanks to AC.

Fits awesomely and is seriously heavy duty steel. Good job by those guys. Here's a couple of pics. Install took about 45 mins - Easy as pie. 2 bolts on the bar that hooks over the front of the diff and 4 bolts on the 2 U-bolts.

My daughter doing an inspection.

View from the rear - That lip nicely protects the bottom of the diff.

View from the front - Kinda. A little obscured by the Gas Tank.

·
on line
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An inch of loss at the very must - It's a real snug fit.

·
on line
239 Posts
Don't take this personaly, but IMO, that thing is a complete waste of money. You think you're actually going to hurt the axle housing or tubes? You've added weight and lost precious ground clearance. I've never even seen such a stupid thing. I'm sorry, but this falls into the "if we make it somebody will buy it" useless junk category.

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Actually the way that things have been going with the front diffs Knaffie I'd buy one soon enough as cheap insurance. I don't see it as a waste of money since they are used in rock crawling by alot of people.

Rinky,

What's up with that sway bar still on there anyways?? ;)

·
on line
239 Posts
I'd like to see it. Really, that just blows my mind. The only thing that should be getting hurt on the rear is maybe the diff cover. But a simple guard or a 1/4" plate cover would protect that just fine IMO.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
first off, armor is armor and it is just like insurance, some people need to use it some dont, but its a good idea for people to have it just in case. Anyway, what the heck is "IMO" <---dontknow what that means.

·
on line
641 Posts
The problem is with the D44s. And it's not the housing nor the axles. There's a lip on the cover that bends if it hits a rock and leaks. I'm sold with the beefier diff cover.

G

·
0 Posts
i bent my rear diff cover already but luckily it isn't leaking yet. i would have like to have this diff cover installed when that happened. rather than replacing a diff cover down the road plus another fuid change (synthetic)

im running the c200 rear end btw, same problem as with the m226 (d44)

yes, the diff skid would be worth it

·
on line
1,884 Posts
The dif cover looks nice! I like that you can protect your investment however you want. Cover/Skid/ not at all...

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Well Knaffie, you're probably right-except

Why get sliders if you're NEVER going to rock crawl

I've got sliders and Swingaway spare tire carrier and I
don't think that needs explanation!!

I don't rock crawl, I just go (off-road) camping and fishing
and I've already used my sliders/Hi-lift jack twice, man what a labor/difficulty savings-

You've got to decide YOUR own requirements!!

:cheers: --JIMBO

·
on line
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes - it was me who already peeled the cover back and took 2 attempts to get her sealed on there again :(

I prefer this route because it doesn't affect the warranty, a replacement cover is sure as hell gonna be questioned if I ever have a rear end problem. I don't do any hard core enough off roading to worry about losing 1" of clearance and even a replacement cover could peal or crack (If made from Aluminum) This thing is built strong. I feel good about my decision.

And yes - I need to remove the sway bar. I have the timbrens so it's no longer neded.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Yea, the cover is the weak link, all you need is a new cover, but, I don't think anyone has one out yet, or, I'd have it ....errr ahh if it wasn't an AC part. If the cover was beefier and was recessed a little at the bottom, that would make it about as indestructible as I would desire and keep my inch.

But, you have all that is available. Can't take that away, it will do the job. I'll wait for the new cover.

MC

·
on line
101 Posts
I put mine on a few weeks ago and love it. I, too, had pulled my cover back a little from hitting rocks and the rear has been leaking from it.

I feel the inch or so you loose with it is nothing compared to its benefits.
Also, from the width of the truck, that small section is nothing. I also prefer the "slider" idea of it compared to the cover reinforcement options. Without it, it's like slamming into a wall when the rear hits the right rock. With the slider version, it's easier to "slide over."

Just my $0.02

·
on line
251 Posts
I spoke with Jim at shrockworks last week to order my rear bumper and asked about the diff cover he mentioned a few months back, he said that it is in the final stages and will be ready soon, if it is built like the bumpers and sliders I'll wait for that to come out. :cheers:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts