Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
on line
142 Posts
I think they are going for quality not quantity. For rock crawling it's all about articulation and travel.

I am considering something like this with Radflos up front. Most of the wheelin' I do is rock crawling in the Sierras.

Then again, I'm thinking about just getting an old Jeep and building that as a rock crawler instead of the X.

Z.

·
on line
589 Posts
Funny thing they forget to mention with their revolver shackles in this package is something they say on just the shackles:

" Limiting Straps are recommended, sold separately. You will have to modify ABS wires which is shown how to do in the instructions. New wheels with negative 3.75" backspacing recommended."

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Leaving aside the question of the quality of this exact AC lift, it is important to note that amount of lift and price are not directly related. While say Fabtech may make a lift that gets better in quality as it goes up in ride height, the actual point of many lifts (suspension lifts specifically) is not simply an increase in ride height, but a better suspension. Springs that are higher quality and a different rate, remote reservoir shocks with much greater dampening ability, beefier control arms with more durable uniballs...stuff like that.

A 5" body lift to fit larger tires on a pick-up may be achieved with an aluminum or synthetic block that costs $250 or less and can be installed by almost anyone in two hours or much less. But that "lift" won't address the real needs of the off-roader, or heavy duty towing.

My SLR lift achieves "only" 3 or so inches in increased ride height, but I didn't want to raise my center of gravity too high anyway. I want stability, load carrying capacity, and to be able to drive fast in the desert. That's a series of qualiuty issues, not ride height.

·
on line
68 Posts
So, did I read the description correctly? You get 2.5" lift in front, and 3.00" from leaf set + 1.75" from revolvers for a combined 4.75" lift in the rear? That would be a shitty stance.

·
on line
358 Posts
WARNING!

I have heard that Revolver Shackles can unload under certain conditions (hard braking, steep downhill sections, etc.) causing some intense moments.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I heave heard that many times, but never from anyone who actually had it happen to them. I honestly think that is a myth started because in theory it could happen, but damn you would have to really be on them brakes hard enough to bring your rear end up for the shackle to flip.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
xtatik said:
So, did I read the description correctly? You get 2.5" lift in front, and 3.00" from leaf set + 1.75" from revolvers for a combined 4.75" lift in the rear? That would be a shitty stance.
I see the same thing. Maybe it's one or the other with the kit, not both.

·
on line
232 Posts
Seems a bit overpriced IMO. I paid $1975 with shipping included for my Radflos, TC UCAs, rear Bil 5125 shocks, and Alcan leaf pack.
Just a few bucks more for a complete spring pack replacement and superior adjustable coilovers.

·
on line
576 Posts
syndicate said:
It's basically an expensive "poor mans" rock-crawler lift.
I would have to disagree with the "poor mans" lift. Yes it is expensive, but I think it fits in the right price range. You get more out of this system than Calminis which is a bit cheaper, and you get less than say the SLR lift, which is more expensive. There is nothing poor man about this lift. Your get new shackles, AALs, shocks, coils, control arms, etc.

Now if they were selling spacers and shackles for $1900, then yes, it would be an expensive "poor mans" lift.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
IMO: A poor man's lift is shackles and either spacers or coils up front!

·
on line
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This kit is very expensive for only 2.5" of lift. You can get more of a lift and a better lift at a cheaper cost.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
paulhood said:
This kit is very expensive for only 2.5" of lift. You can get more of a lift and a better lift at a cheaper cost.
You also need to factor in installation. A calmini 5" lift will require a do-it-yourselfer to be fairly handy and willing to cut their subframe.

·
on line
576 Posts
paulhood said:
Um, price isn't related to lift height. Besides, the crawlers ultimate goal is to stuff the biggest tires and get the most travel with the LEAST amount of lift as possible.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
I'd definitely get the RANCHOS, I'dve liked to have been able to use their "TripleX9000" but they're only made for the Titans..

1 - 20 of 76 Posts