Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if the AC coils would cause the front end to sit higher than the rear if you used their shackles for lifting the rear (stock bumpers). I thought I saw a pic before of a guy who put on the coil/shackle combo and it looked like he had a pretty bad 'prerunner' rake to it. The pics I've seen of the coil/AAL combo looks like they gotta matched pretty darn good, but I'd prefer the shackles. Anybody have any good side profile pics with this set-up? I hope to run this combo when we get the new X, but I wanna make sure the shackles provide enough lift for it to sit level.

Thanks. -Steve

PS- I just checked AC's website... they do say the shackles provide 1.5" lift, while AAL is 2.5". I'll be curious for pics/comments.

·
on line
3,217 Posts
I have the shackles in the rear and it does provide a level ride for you. It is pretty level you you don't have to worry about the pre-runner look as you mentioned.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
RockyMtnX said:
I was curious if the AC coils would cause the front end to sit higher than the rear if you used their shackles for lifting the rear (stock bumpers). I thought I saw a pic before of a guy who put on the coil/shackle combo and it looked like he had a pretty bad 'prerunner' rake to it. The pics I've seen of the coil/AAL combo looks like they gotta matched pretty darn good, but I'd prefer the shackles. Anybody have any good side profile pics with this set-up? I hope to run this combo when we get the new X, but I wanna make sure the shackles provide enough lift for it to sit level.

Thanks. -Steve

PS- I just checked AC's website... they do say the shackles provide 1.5" lift, while AAL is 2.5". I'll be curious for pics/comments.
Here's a shot of my rig way back when I ran an AC coil & shackle setup:

http://www.vaxc.org/gallery/d/7355-2/X3.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=4a39a048d200d0540a1ee726fd24d6f8

The truck is resting on 33's.

The AC coil & shackle suspension is the best bang for the buck going for 2nd Gen rigs.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool... thanks for the quick responses. I didn't imagine everybody (ie, AC, Calmini, Daystar) would be selling shackles that caused a rake with the lift, but was just concerned when I saw the lift height difference mentioned. Glad to see everything sits level. Would love to put a set of 285's on, too, but am afraid the 265's will have to cut it... can't afford the expense for new meats, and am still pretty leary about running the 285's for warranty/front diff issues.

This should probably be a new topic, but has anybody tried making their own shackles? I've done this a couple times on my old Samurai, and it is way cheaper than aftermarket shackles. Just wondering how one would incorporate the funky bend in the shackle. Maybe just a big steel spacer on the one side at the top and make both shackle plates the same profile...? What is the width difference at the shackle mount vs. spring eye, anyway? Any thoughts?

Thanks again. -Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts