Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of AC Coil overs with the Rancho 9000 shocks. I want to install this weekend with a few of my local X buddies however, I can not find a how to, or any pics of the install. I read somewhere there is a how to on dans site, but I think it is down, because the links are broken. (see i did "search") I also, read that its easier if you take the coils to a shop with with a coil compressor to do that part, and then do the rest of the install yourself. The problem is, I need my truck everyday and I dont think that its an option for me to drop it off. Also, I just have the coil and the shock itself. Am I missing somthing else I need to drop it off and have a shop do it? because i dont see it in the kit you can by from AC Here is the coil over and shock that I have. I plan on using a shackle on the back to give me an overall lift of about 2" in the rear and 2.5 in the front to level it out.

http://www.4x4parts.com/public_html...9&ps_session=950ab8886d1c05f7fc6802cf26555d1d

And, Do I need to extend the break lines with the new coil overs on the front? Shackles on the back. I dont think its required for the back. but Im seriously questioning the front.

and last question. I think that the rancho 9000 and the 5000 are the same lenght as the stock rear shocks right? would you recomend changing out the rear shock for a Rancho to match the front Rancho?

any info and advice is welcome. Thanks guys!

-Damian

·
on line
1,739 Posts
I'm doing mine this weekend too - I've got a friend coming by who's done these before. He says two hours to do both ends of the truck (it's still new and the bolts will come out easy).

He says that the local PepBoys will loan the coil compressor for a $50 deposit. I'm going to check them out tomorrow and see if that's still true. Sweet deal if it's true.

There are instructions on how to do the shackles on the 4x4parts site but none for the front coils. I plan on doing a how to once I figure out how to! I'll take lots of pictures. Seems like with so many people doing these front coils that there would be more information available on how to do them.

I bought the extended stainless steel brake rear lines as they were just $70. They don't go bad and will allow me to get more lift later if I want. You don't need them from what I've been told with just the 2" lift but you do need to come up with a taller mount for the "keeper". A guy in my local club just un-hooks them when we go off road and re-hooks them when we air back up. I'm not clever enough to remember than ... and would likely break a brake line at the worst time.

AC also didn't say if the bushing kit for the shackle was recommended or required. I don't know if I can use the ones from the stock shackles on the new taller shackles.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
PaulXyZ said:
He says that the local PepBoys will loan the coil compressor for a $50 deposit. I'm going to check them out tomorrow and see if that's still true. Sweet deal if it's true.

AC also didn't say if the bushing kit for the shackle was recommended or required. I don't know if I can use the ones from the stock shackles on the new taller shackles.
I know auto zone and o'reilly have the loaner tool deal so if pep boys doesn't pan out you could try them.
yeah, you can re-use the stock bushing for the shackles.

·
on line
2,540 Posts
Wow everyone is doing their lift this weekend. I'm doing mine as well at our club's Mod day. One of the guys that will be there is the son of an X owner and he is bringing a coil compressor. I hope its as easy as they say being that there are no instructions.

I have the front coils and shocks to do plus AAL's in the rear and the break lines and I went ahead and got the shims being I have the AAL. I will also take pics and try to come up with a write up if I have the time.

·
on line
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hattrik21 said:
Wow everyone is doing their lift this weekend. I'm doing mine as well at our club's Mod day. One of the guys that will be there is the son of an X owner and he is bringing a coil compressor. I hope its as easy as they say being that there are no instructions.

I have the front coils and shocks to do plus AAL's in the rear and the break lines and I went ahead and got the shims being I have the AAL. I will also take pics and try to come up with a write up if I have the time.
yeah we have multi club invite (VA & NC) to wheel on March 17th. So I'm just trying to get the truck ready for the occasion. There are a bunch of other guys in the club doing other mods & tweeks as well. Should be a great mod day. Along with the lift, I'll be putting on custom sliders. I'll be sure to get some pics of the installs on both for the group.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If no one in the group has installed the AC coils before I would plan on 1.5 hours per side in the front and 1.5-2 hours total for the rear.

Also, depending on the compressor you will most likely not be able to latch the safety pins and you will also probably have some problems getting the compressors off once the spring is on the shock. I used two pry bars when I did mine. I was using 15 year old craftsman compressor.

It took me close to 4 hours to do the front when I did mine, but over 3 hours of that was just on one side and figuring out all the tricks. I did the other side in probably 45 mins.

If there are multiple people there doing multiple mods, be sure to have your own tools or you might sit around waiting for someone to finish so you can have the ratchet or wrench.

Remember, always do one side at a time.

To be honest, if you could find a local garage to put the coils on for you, it would probably be quicker and safer. Just pull the front shocks off, run then down to the shop with the new coils (in one of the other X’s), have them swap the coils and then come back and put them on. A shop could probably swap the coils in 10 mins per shock.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
syndicate said:
By the way, Pauly, you use the stock bushings for the AC shackles.
Yeah, did them tonight.

·
on line
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Last question (s)

is it required to align the front end after the AC coil overs?

Also, the local 4x4 shop said I would need to get the cam aligning bolts to align it after any aftermarket parts. Is this true?

And final words of advice to anyone who is doing it them self. Take out the orginal coil overs, and take it to a another shop to compress them. Trust me it was well worth the $40 I spent to have someone else do ti.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts