Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
on line
870 Posts
I have the "ABS, Slip VDC" lights on .. I figured it was a bad sensor but it seems to be that this is the problem. I must have missed this went I looked over the X. So nissan told me today that this was the problem..
The ABS sensor connector wire is disconnected from the plug..
Must have pulled out of the connector or corroded...

anyone good with Electrical lol or know any good quick fixes ?

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
  1. I know a lot of the plugs are universal, so the rear solenoid plug for an e-locker could be the same.
  2. You could run a "jumper" wire from the side that is broken to the other side of the plug that is not broken and use vamp clips for something short term.
  3. You could just cut the plug right out and add some wire and hard-wire them.
  4. But What I would suggest is picking up a set of new universal male/female plugs and just solder and shrink wrap them to make it like new!

Something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PIN-WATER...774?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417b407bae
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PIN-WATER...045?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417b4ab9d5

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Cut the plugs off and solder the wires together. Put some quick disconnects in there if you want. I have done that to mine multiple times now and it works fine. The wires don't "tin" very well, but if you use a good quality soldering iron, decent solder, and a bit of flux, the process is pretty simple and works fine.

·
on line
1,446 Posts
Cut the plugs off and solder the wires together. Put some quick disconnects in there if you want. I have done that to mine multiple times now and it works fine. The wires don't "tin" very well, but if you use a good quality soldering iron, decent solder, and a bit of flux, the process is pretty simple and works fine.
WINNER!!

Both of my plugs were cut away and I soldered them direct, used heat shrink over each connection & then electrical tape to keep them together. I couldn't keep water out of the passenger's side plug connection and the driver's plug encountered the same fate as yours. Just be sure to check the wire colors in the connector before cutting them away. On one side, white from the sensor went to black on the main harness.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
...white goes to black and black goes to white on the passenger side.
Facepalm ... wiring designers that allow this to happen should be shot. I understand the realities that go along with a supply chain and trying to get in-order all of the zillions of components associated with a full-system integration as complex as a vehicle (none-the-less one in mass production), and in the end it's inevitable that something like this will happen somewhere. But jeebus is it ever frustrating to deal with after the fact.

·
on line
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WINNER!!

Both of my plugs were cut away and I soldered them direct, used heat shrink over each connection & then electrical tape to keep them together. I couldn't keep water out of the passenger's side plug connection and the driver's plug encountered the same fate as yours. Just be sure to check the wire colors in the connector before cutting them away. On one side, white from the sensor went to black on the main harness.

Awesome , thanks for the advice !!!

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Agreed! I was unaware of this little bit of info when I first did this. I was ready to rip my hair out trying to figure out why the abs sensor wasn't working. I had re-soldered it 5-10 times trying to make sure I had a good connection etc etc. Rook was the one that finally told me about it when I was up at a mod day in NJ and was trying to figure it out between other things we were working on. Took one shot and boom, fixed haha. Kind of a bittersweet discovery at that point.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
2,600 Posts
Forgot to mention this. I cant remember the driver side, but I know for a fact (was just working on it yesterday) that white goes to black and black goes to white on the passenger side.
^ Agreed, but can anyone confirm the driver side? Coming from the main harness, there is a red and a green wire; coming from the hub assembly, there is a white and black.

I saw TRUXterra state the following from this thread:
I've confirmed the orientation. Driver's side is red/green (left/right wire), passenger's side is white/black. This is the orientation when the upper clip is connected into the harness coming from the hub. These colours are specific to a 2006 model.
But it doesn't specifically state which colors match up. Long story short, we had to re-solder a new connector onto the main harness (on the driver's side), and the connector (straight from Nissan) came pre-wired, but with 2 black wires.

Not sure if it matters, but I have an '06. If someone could check on theirs and post up, I'd appreciate it!

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Forgot to mention this. I cant remember the driver side, but I know for a fact (was just working on it yesterday) that white goes to black and black goes to white on the passenger side.
I was installing Rads and SPCs two days ago and the abs wire came unplugged on the passenger side and they didn't look damaged so I plugged em back in (white to white and black to black) because that makes sense to 99% of the human race, right? But noooooo not to Nissan apparently! And every since I thought I F'd something up because those ABS SLIP and VDC lights have been on..

Going to switch em later and hope they go away, thanks!

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Front, passenger side is white-to-black and black-to-white.
Front, driver side appears to be white-to-white and black-to-black.

ABS and SLIP lights came on a few feet away from my house, so I got out to check and it appeared that the white wire coming off the hub was split. Grabbed it and it ripped right off. I had installed a Deutsch connector before, so now I just needed to cut the wire back and replace the pins. So I did, and thinking it was like the passenger side, I put it back together as such.

Well, the ABS and SLIP lights were still on. Went for a drive, came home, went to bed. This morning, I started it up and along with the ABS and SLIP lights, the BRAKE light and 4x4 lights came on. Also, the 4wd indicator disappeared. Got it warmed up a bit and that went away along with the BRAKE and 4x4 lights.

Went to the shop to try to dig up a code, but they couldn't pull anything. Figuring I was screwed, I decided to switch the wires to see what would happen. In about 100feet, the lights went off.

One thing I have realized is that the ABS callibration usually happens during the first time I hit 2nd gear upon startup. Once the issue began, it started doing it in about 10 feet after starting up.

Hopefully this will help someone.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
So I CANNOT get these damn lights to go off! I have a 2006. Drivers side, I did Green to white Red to black. Like the connector was. Passenger side I did White to black & Black to White. Just odd on the drivers side...Usually green and black are grounds and a red and white are positives or power.....MORONS

·
on line
2,883 Posts
Mine broke exactly in the same place and soldered it back together.
It then broke again and I fixed it and now have the plug tied down to the coil bucket so all the movement is below the plug.
If it happens again, will remove the plug and solder direct.

·
TNX Veteran
4,490 Posts
How do you unplug this thing? I've been messing with it for 20 minutes and can't figure it out. I've looked at the new plug and it seems obvious but I can't get it to budge. Any tips? @zach_attack I believe you said you had some trouble with it.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Press the tab where the blue arrow is and pull up. You may find it easier if you first remove the connector from the frame. The part that attaches to the frame is on the new connector as well. So it has to come off anyway. Push in on the tab and push/pull the connector in and out while wiggling side to side and it'll come out eventually.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts