Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished my t-swap this past weekend. Had to cut the plugs and add some extensions in there. Not totally sure it was needed but that wires would have been way to tight at full drop for me to be comfortable.

Right now it is nasty looking with those twist type electrical connector caps.

I want to solder and use shrink wrap but I read somewhere that the fine wiring the ABS line uses doesnt hold solder at all.

I was wondering what method other people used to get around this.

·
on line
1,656 Posts
True, the wire used for the ABS signal line is terrible to solder and with it being so fine crimping isn't a sure bet either (been down both roads, each worked for a while...until and off-road trip). I think the best way would be to buy mating connectors & pins and create your own extension cable so the stock cable remains untouched.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, the wire used for the ABS signal line is terrible to solder and with it being so fine crimping isn't a sure bet either (been down both roads, each worked for a while...until and off-road trip). I think the best way would be to buy mating connectors & pins and create your own extension cable so the stock cable remains untouched.
Ya for sure man. None of the write ups really address this issue so I didnt go into it prepared.

Im gonna try soldering, did you use flux?

·
on line
1,656 Posts
Yes, tried several methods, one of which was flux-ing the bejeezus out of it (the copper wire is small and made up of extremely thin multi-strands). I would seriously consider making a connector. Being on the trail and having this fail (making it difficult/impossible to engage 4x4) is not fun.

I will need this in the future and have a torn ABS line I can examine to try and identify the connector being used.

·
on line
7,141 Posts
I soldered mine just fine. In fact it's been over 2 years on the rear right that got cut in 3 places

·
on line
1,656 Posts
I seemed to have issues. It always happened after a lot of heavy water driving for me. First one lasted about a year, second about 1.5 years.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
For one of my front ABS connectors that was broken, I cut off the factory connector and installed a Deutsch style connector from Batts Racing. Not an inexpensive way to fix it since you also have to rent or buy a Deutsch crimper (the cheap one works fine from Jegs), but the connection is excellent and it is water tight.

For one of the broken rear female plugs, I had an extra front plug laying around so I ended up soldering it on. It isn't the most terrific work, but I fixed the issue, and plus it was 15° outside at the time.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The problem I ran into is the wire before the male connector. There is very little to splice. It is wrapped in some very hard plastic that needs to be shaved away with a sharp blade and even then there is about 4" to work with.

So far the twist caps and silicone have held...lol its only been 4 days .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts