Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

ABS and other Lights

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  satown210 
#1 ·
Ok so I know this topic has been discussed here multiple times as I’ve looked at a bunch of the threads but I wanted to start a new thread in hopes of getting a definitive answer quickly. Here goes.

I drive a 2011 auto Pro4X. So 4wd with rest e locker. And everything is currently fully functional with no apparent issues. I hit a big bump a few days ago which immediately activated the abs, brake, vdc and slip lights. But vehicle still apparently drove fine at that point. (Admittedly I did not attempt to activate 4wd or test abs with brake slam method at that point, just regular driving.) Ok, weird I figured but maybe a fluke. So I stopped, shut her down, waited 5 seconds and cranked her back up. All lights off and I went about my business. Then day after I hit another bump and same thing happened. Shut her down and started again but lights persisted. Shut down for longer then started and lights were off. Then an hour or two after lights came on again on their own, without hitting any big bumps or anything. Then went off after next shut down/start. She still drove fine during all this. And lights haven’t been back on. So questions are...

What system exactly is causing this, abs? I think abs based on most everyones’ input so far that abs sensor is generally to blame. Just want to verify that it is only abs system that would shut all of those other systems down. If not what else controls all that?

Unless I broke a sensor or tore a cable what would cause a big bump to trigger that? Uneven tire spin in the moment? Impact just causes sensors to go wonky?

Could dirt/dust/debris interfere with the system at all? I was driving in really gravelly/rocky, dusty uneven roads in Tennessee but nothing crazy. But I’d like to imagine that any truck worth it’s salt should be able to be in off road type environments without shutting systems down.

That pretty much sums it up. Hoping to get some input from those way more knowledgeable than myself on this to see if I’m missing something, should be inspecting something etc. As of now the lights are off and have stayed off. Still haven’t tested 4wd or abs yet but I’m putting money on them being ok as they were ok prior to big bump that initially caused light activation. Thanks ahead of time to anyone who can help.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yah I thought that too. I visually checked and saw nothing and wiggled wiring a bit here and there with my wife in the cabin to tell me if I triggered the lights but nothing. Plus I would think if it was something loose I would see the symptom at least every now and then but it’s literally never happened in the 2+ years I’ve owned her til this incident, though obviously nothing happens til it happens for the first time. Thanks so much for the reply though @IntellectualRedneck

#4 ·
Intermittent problems like that can be a pain. Getting a definitive answer is usually not an easy task. How many miles on your X?

I would lean towards a bad ABS sensor. With any type of electronics they can act that way when they are on the way out. They can go back and forth between working and not before they just stop working all together. Hitting a big bump could affect the state of a failing sensor.

With my limited understanding of how the ABS works, I dont think wiggling wires would have any effect when the truck is not moving. I know to reset the ABS light it has to be moving at least 7 mph.

Some code readers can display ABS codes. That might be an avenue to explore. You might find that an auto parts store can pull up a code for you that would ateast point you in the direction of the fault. Worth a shot.

#6 ·
Check your brake fluid level as well. If that is low, the low level sensor will trip, and that shuts off a whole list of stuff.
As others stated, need codes to know where to look. Most parts store code readers only do engine, not whole vehicle.

Reactions: jskizzle7
#11 ·
Late to the party but, here:

2nd Gen X's need Nissan Datascan II.

It is laptop software that mimics the major features of Nissan Consult software. There are elements dedicated to specific modules including the BCM (Brake Control Module). It will be cost of the software plus a $20 cable.

This is one of the most useful tools I bought for my Xterra.

#13 ·
Yes. There are some functions that are still exclusive to consult (like being able to look up the pins for certain modules), but most of the diagnostic functions are there.

I bought it to reset the steering angle sensor following a clock spring replacement.

It has worked awesomely for quite a few jobs & also has data-logging ability that I used to confirm a bad catalytic converter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.