Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

AAL Vibration Shims / No Shims?

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Da Hulk 
#1 ·
Okay. I've read ever post in here that I can find when searching this topic (probably twice). I just installed the 2 inch AAL kit from Nisstec.

I didn't use the front spacers because I have OME 2607 in the front and I just needed the rear stuff to level things out a bit.

I used the 2 degree shims that came with it and was getting bad vibes at 30-35mph. This picture is with those shims installed.

To me it looked like it was overcorrected so I took them out and things got worse. I just through 300 pounds of weight in the back and things are 80% better.

What's the next step?

-put the 2 degree shims back -remove the overload -drive it a while???

One thing to note is that it seems very stiff. The 300 pounds didn't even drop it a full inch. I can barely make it squat when jumping up and down on the bumper.

See less See more
#10 ·
That may be the direction I go. I am not going to take it back apart until I get another set of u-bolts in hand though. The ones I have are already stretched and the threads are marred up. I did manage to locate the AAL instructions for the specific set I have. They do say to put the overload back on. NISSTEC AAL INSTRUCTIONS

That's really one of the only things left to try other than purchasing different degree shims and trying them.

#8 ·
Try a 3 degree shim.

I'm not a doctor, but the overload does not affect stiffness, it prevents the leaf pack from going inverse if too much load is applied. It is just a flat piece of steel with no flex at the bottom of the pack. I believe it is recommended to remove when you do an AAL because it just increases the overall thickness of the pack in addition to the AAL you added and is perhaps dead weight.

Out of curiosity, what is your total height in the rear now? (Stock height - sag + lift) I needed 2 degrees for 2" of lift by deaver AAL after removing overload. My guess is you are lifted more than that.

#15 ·
Okay. I've read ever post in here that I can find when searching this topic (probably twice). I just installed the 2 inch AAL kit from Nisstec.

I didn't use the front spacers because I have OME 2607 in the front and I just needed the rear stuff to level things out a bit.

I used the 2 degree shims that came with it and was getting bad vibes at 30-35mph. This picture is with those shims installed.

To me it looked like it was overcorrected so I took them out and things got worse. I just through 300 pounds of weight in the back and things are 80% better.

What's the next step?

One thing to note is that it seems very stiff. The 300 pounds didn't even drop it a full inch. I can barely make it squat when jumping up and down on the bumper. View attachment 131711

What's the next step?

One thing to note is that it seems very stiff. The 300 pounds didn't even drop it a full inch. I can barely make it squat when jumping up and down on the bumper. View attachment 131711
Wondering if you ever fixed the shim problem? I'm about to put the same AAL from nisstec on my Xterra.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.