Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm going to be getting an AAL soon. What are my options and are there in problems I should be aware of?

Thanks

·
on line
1,340 Posts
AC has a 3-leaf AAL pack.

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mcampana said:
Dude. There is a "sticky" in the suspension thread for suspension lift options. Look at the top of the page.
Sorry, Guess I missed it. Thanks

·
on line
2,077 Posts
problems, some brands cause squeaking...which is easily fixed with some slip-plate (a graphite spray), all will require shims (most likely)

those with the calmini AALs like them, everyone with the deavers from PRG like them, don't know much about the AC leaf pack, but the general consensus is to avoid AC.

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Willgr1, AC was who I thought about going with. Just based on price. I guess you get what you pay for, right?

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, the reason I'm doing this is I have spacers on the front and shackles on the rear now. But my front is about 1/2" higher than the rear. I really want to fix this.

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I called Calmini and asked about getting the AAL to add to my lift. I told them I already had the shackle kit and they said the AAL would be a bad idea because it would put my drive shaft at to steep of an angle. What do you all think?

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Nice thing about the Calmini kit is that it is all inclusive... u-bolts and shims included. Down side is they are notoriously noisy (should be fixed with anti-squeaks pads at the leaf ends). Everybody seems to be really happy with the Deaver kit, too, but keep in mind you'll have to add a few bucks to them for shims and u-bolts.

Xterror said:
Ok, I called Calmini and asked about getting the AAL to add to my lift. I told them I already had the shackle kit and they said the AAL would be a bad idea because it would put my drive shaft at to steep of an angle. What do you all think?
Plenty of guys are running that set-up without issues... Erick, Muzikman, and Duck are just a few who come to mind that have the Calmini AAL and a set of extended shackles (I think Duck and Erick even have Calmini shackles, too).

·
on line
1,340 Posts
The AC 3-leaf AAL's does have Anti-friction pads. The Deaver are a 2-leaf.

·
on line
628 Posts
I don't mean to jack this thread, but I am curious if someone can explain to me how an add a leaf manages to provide lift for a spring under axle suspension. I sit and think about it but I can't figure it out. I was going to say hell with and go with "it just does" but I can't.

·
on line
1,618 Posts
mcampana said:
The deavers only cost 149 shipped to your door. Dont go by prg's site. You really need to call and talk to them on the phone.
x2
I hate to keep echoing what mcampana says, but he's the one who pushed me into the Deaver's and I could not be happier. It was worth the extra $ for the ubolts and the shims. Everything is really solid.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
When people mention the noise in the AAL's, are you guys refering to daily driving or only during off road?

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was wondering the same thing. Also does the AC 3 leaf system just replace your stock springs?

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Man, the more and more I read about the Deavers, the more I am leaning towards them as my option for lifting the rear. Two important questions, though:

1) What is the net lift you guys are seeing with them?
I am recalling that around 2" is reported, but don't remember for sure. This is one of the reasons that may sway me towards these in lieu of the Calmini kit; I don't think the Calmini kit provides as much lift. If I have to buy a set of shackles in addition to the Calmini kit to get enough rear lift to match the TGC spacers, then all cost savings are out the window.

2) What about the overload leaf?
Not sure who besides Mcampana is running their's, but I don't want to lose all my load carrying capacity. I think I read somewhere that without the overload leaf, you only have half your normal capacity with the Deavers. Not sure if this is accurate, but an important consideration for me as we take too many heavy road- and camp-trips each year to lose any carrying capacity.

·
on line
1,618 Posts
RockyMtnX said:
Man, the more and more I read about the Deavers, the more I am leaning towards them as my option for lifting the rear. Two important questions, though:

1) What is the net lift you guys are seeing with them?
I am recalling that around 2" is reported, but don't remember for sure. This is one of the reasons that may sway me towards these in lieu of the Calmini kit; I don't think the Calmini kit provides as much lift. If I have to buy a set of shackles in addition to the Calmini kit to get enough rear lift to match the TGC spacers, then all cost savings are out the window.

2) What about the overload leaf?
Not sure who besides Mcampana is running their's, but I don't want to lose all my load carrying capacity. I think I read somewhere that without the overload leaf, you only have half your normal capacity with the Deavers. Not sure if this is accurate, but an important consideration for me as we take too many heavy road- and camp-trips each year to lose any carrying capacity.
I am running the Deaver's and the TGC without the Overload. I think it looks just right. If/when I upgrade my front bumper, there is just enough room there to cover the added weight and will be great. I got a little better than 2" of lift.
As for not adding the overload, this is something Greg talked me out of. I pulled my rear swaybar at the same time, and it handles great. As for towing/weight on an extended self sufficient trip I had my 2 big Yellow labs, an electric cooler with cans and food, tent/cooking/personal/fishing gear in back and pulled a 14' boat and 2 outboards that was filled with extra 4 coolers stuffed with ice and a bunch of other heavy bulky gear for our friends that didn't have the space. The X handled great. Infact, I got 19mpg on hilly terrain with 2 canoes on top on the way back.
If I weren't happy with it, I'd just stuff the overload back in.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
the purpose of the overload leaf is to prevent the leaf pack from inverting if loaded down too much in the back. without it you can still tow a good sized load (not sure how much you can go exact), but considering the fact the deaver will also add more leaves to the leaf pack the pack will be stronger then it was before, so you may still be able to haul a large load......i don't tow things, so i don't know from experience, i'm just speaking in theory.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts