Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So... when I Titan Swapped a few months ago I put in Deaver AAL's, it was a cheap option till I found out how much lift I wanted. I pretty happy with the height of my AALs and 2"in Shackle, just not the fact that they are crooked. They are visibly off and it feels funky sitting inside. Currently the left sits lower than the right. Is there are fix for this, are the AALs designed to be 'Left" and "Right" centric or does it not matter? I was thinking maybe one AAL is stronger than the other and it needs to be on the gas tank side. If there is not a fix I want a full leaf pack, but I don't want to spend alot. I have been eyeballing the OME leaf pack but I hear it is noisy and I'm not sure how much flex it has. I know everyone says ALCANS are the best option out there but I can get the OME leaf pack from Nisstec and bypass paying shipping as they are less than 100miles away. I believe I still have to pay for shipping with the Alcans because they are custom made and sent to me.

My current flex is nice, but my shocks still have alot of travel left that I can't take advantage of because my leafs cannot droop any further (rear wheel is about 2in off the ground in the picture). Will OME offer more flex than this...? Specifically more droop.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's no right or left when it comes to AALs but there is a front and back. Did you double check that they are facing the right way?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Thanks for the advice, I was not aware or payed attention during install. I will try to rotate the left AAL this weekend see if that fixes it. If not I will swap the sides to see if that helps.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's one cause. Could also be that the weight of a full gas tank is causing your truck to list off to the side.

Have you ever been rear-ended? There's a possibility that your frame could be slightly bent as well - my X is like that.
Don't believe it has ever been in an accident and it sit level before the AAL.

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I was not aware or payed attention during install. I will try to rotate the left AAL this weekend see if that fixes it. If not I will swap the sides to see if that helps.
Switching sides won't do anything. There's not a left and right AAL. I believe the longer side of the AAL, measuring from top to center pin hole, goes towards the front of the truck. Measure that when you take the left side off.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Switching sides won't do anything. There's not a left and right AAL. I believe the longer side of the AAL, measuring from top to center pin hole, goes towards the front of the truck. Measure that when you take the left side off.

Couldn't he just pop w wheel off (or crawl under the rear) and measure/visibly see if one side looks different from the other?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Couldn't he just pop w wheel off (or crawl under the rear) and measure/visibly see if one side looks different from the other?
I could measure, but rotating the AAL is fine with me, wont take but an hour or so. Would rather try to rotate it to see if it fixes it regardless of the measurements.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Yes he can; he could use a string and bend it with the AAL to see if it is positioned properly if he couldn't just visibly see the difference.

I could measure, but rotating the AAL is fine with me, wont take but an hour or so. Would rather try to rotate it to see if it fixes it regardless of the measurements.
I wouldn't bother rotating it if it's all ready in the correct position:scratch: You have to replace the U-bolts EVERY TIME as the threads stretch and they are considered a 1 use item. Can you re-use them? Of course, but don't be upset when you're three wheeling and the u-bolts strip out. So if you can visually see that it has not been installed correctly then it would be worth switching around and buying new u-bolts, but if it has, you're just wasting time and money.

With that being said I have the same problem on my X, sometimes a little worse than other (full tank of gas, gas skid plate, no one in the passenger side). I have a full set of Deaver leafs that I'm going to have re-built this winter. We'll see if that fixes my problem.

Also, people complain about the old man leafs being noisey; if you take them apart and grease everything properly they are just fine! RyanDavenport can vouch for this statement.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes he can; he could use a string and bend it with the AAL to see if it is positioned properly if he couldn't just visibly see the difference.

I wouldn't bother rotating it if it's all ready in the correct position:scratch: You have to replace the U-bolts EVERY TIME as the threads stretch and they are considered a 1 use item. Can you re-use them? Of course, but don't be upset when you're three wheeling and the u-bolts strip out. So if you can visually see that it has not been installed correctly then it would be worth switching around and buying new u-bolts, but if it has, you're just wasting time and money.

With that being said I have the same problem on my X, sometimes a little worse than other (full tank of gas, gas skid plate, no one in the passenger side). I have a full set of Deaver leafs that I'm going to have re-built this winter. We'll see if that fixes my problem.

Also, people complain about the old man leafs being noisey; if you take them apart and grease everything properly they are just fine! RyanDavenport can vouch for this statement.
I dont know if it is in the correct position, I will need to measure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts