Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
on line
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DAMMIT!!!!!!!!! WAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

well I just proved that 285/75/16's don't fit with stock suspension.

DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!! What do I do? Abort? Lift it?

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Wow... well I have nothing to say since I am still Stock

·
on line
807 Posts
It looks like the offset on those wheels is WAAAAY off. Or perhaps you are running adapters/spacers, either way, I think you are rubbing soo bad because the wheels are sticking out way to far.

·
on line
204 Posts
lift it, that should help some. you'll probably still have to trim with a sawzall or something. your spacers i believe are what are making it such a tight fit in your fender, if your rims were the same offset/backspacing(right?) of stock wheels you would be fine ( if there were some steel wheels that didnt require spacers my credit card would be ready) other guys on this forum would be able to show you exactly where to trim

·
on line
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is it possible to do with a moderate lift? like a 2-3" lift? or am I just screwed? I have the spacers to make the wheels fit, I didn't realize that it'd be this bad!

·
on line
2,248 Posts
If memory serves, you are running a 1.3 inch adapter (not sure why you didn't go with the 1"). I'm not sure what the backspacing on your wheels is (it would help to let us know), but in that first picture they look like they are sticking out WAY TOO FAR.

A lift is going to help, but you're still going to have to do some serious cutting on those front fenders behind the tires. I had to with my 1" adapters and AR Mojave's (O offset, 4.5 inch BS). I didn't have to do any trimming in the front, thanks to the Shrock bumper.

·
on line
236 Posts
i know ppl from my other offraod club has order custom backspaced steeleies
from summit racing. now sure if they still offer it but it might be worth it.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
I run 285/75/16 and have no problems.

·
on line
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah but you guys have the shrock bumper... I don't. I can't lift it more than 2 or 3 inches and still make it in my garage, and I don't want to cut the hell out of my wheel well liner... yes they're the 1.3" spacers and yes they stick out like a sonofabitch, but what else can I do?

·
on line
315 Posts
WHOA...that is crazy...both Greg and I had those wheels/spacers on our trucks...he ran them for a while, but I only had them there for a few days. I didn't even come close to rubbing like that, but I have 265/75R16...Greg had 285/75R16 XTerrains. Grunzen is running the same thing but I think his spacers are 1" instead of 1.3" (definitely not a big enough difference to make you rub like THAT).

So...I think it's due to you not having a lift, dude. I didn't realize you were gonna run those without lift...that's probably your problem right there. I would suggest AC coils and some shackles in the rear.

Edited to add: yes, you need spacers that thick...with a 1" spacer you can't clear the stock studs so you have to grind them, which I would not recommend.

·
on line
641 Posts
Re: AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH @#&%@*#$&@#%(!&##@*%&#@

dragonplayboy said:
DAMMIT!!!!!!!!! WAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

well I just proved that 285/75/16's don't fit with stock suspension.

DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!! What do I do?
OK, I'll start by saying that personally I have no intention of doing some of the mods that people on here do to their X, so you might not like my answer :)

Take off one of the tires, take off your spare tire, take them to a tire shop, and have them mount the "too big" tire onto the spare tire's rim. Then put the remounted "too big" tire back onto the X, and see how it fits. The 285/75/16 isn't much larger than the stock 265/75/16 on the OR, so I think they should fit. If they do, just buy some stock steel Nissan rims ;-)

·
on line
2,248 Posts
armandov99 said:
Edited to add: yes, you need spacers that thick...with a 1" spacer you can't clear the stock studs so you have to grind them, which I would not recommend.
The strange part about that is, I didn't have to grind the studs on the rear axle. They were a hair shorter than the studs in the front. Not sure why that is. I didn't have to grind much off the front studs, not even a full 1/16 inch. I would rather do that than have an extra .3 inches on the adapter thickness.

Dragonboy... you're definitely in a tough spot. I think you're going to have to put the stockers back on for now, or get ready to do some serious cutting/grinding. Good luck, brother.

·
on line
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
what lift will be necessary (and best) to make them fit without destroying my already injured wallet, or is a lift the answer? The steelies idea isn't horrible, but what does the nissan steelie look like? does anyone have a pic?

·
on line
1,407 Posts
....I was running 285/75's on a stock suspension for quite a while with no rub. It is the fault of the rims.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
dragonplayboy said:
what lift will be necessary (and best) to make them fit without destroying my already injured wallet, or is a lift the answer? The steelies idea isn't horrible, but what does the nissan steelie look like? does anyone have a pic?
Do you still have your spare, or did you get an alloy spare?

I'm running the AC coils up front with stock shocks. That helped, but I still had to cut some fender (and grind an area just behind the plastic inner fender where several sheets of sheet metal join together... used JB weld on the exposed seams). Not sure what you will have to do to the front bumper, because I already had my Shrock bumper at the time.

The issue you might encounter in the rear is that the tire won't tuck behind the fender under extreme articulation. Mine BARELY does... and I'm running stock ride height Alcan packs with the AC lift shackles.

·
on line
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
B Slater said:
....I was running 285/75's on a stock suspension for quite a while with no rub. It is the fault of the rims.
did you have them on stock rims? were they OR rims or something? that really doesn't help me man! I gotta know what to do with the well over 1000 bucks worth of wheels, tires, spacers, and lugs that I now have and can't use...?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts