Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
on line
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because my X used to bottom out hard, I installed a set of Timbren bump stops about three months ago. No more bottoming out. Yeah!

However... When I had my tires rotated after three months of life in the Timbren lane, I noticed that one of the Timbrens was split from top to bottom. Not good. I thought these things would be bulletproof.

Has anybody else had this problem?

I called the friendly guys at truckspring.com (yes, I had saved my receipt) and they sent me a replacement pronto. Now I'm back in business.

When installing the new Timbren, I noticed that it wasn't centered exactly between the u-bolts on the axle. A little repositioning (half an inch inwards) of the Timbren bracket took care of that problem.

Here's a photo of the split Timbren.

·
on line
463 Posts
Great,,,, now we are ALL going out to our trucks, is this some kind of test ?

·
on line
735 Posts
I actually have both kinds. I use the long one cut in half on a shortened mount. I would cut that mount down, bet it will hold up a little better. At least it did its thing and kept your truck from getting bent and tweaked.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
miles said:
So the purpose of the bump stop is?
To stop bumps...

Too easy. Couldn't pass that up. They limit travel of your axle so you don't have metal to metal contact.

·
on line
500 Posts
miles said:
Traditionally, bump stops are pads that stop the suspension travel at full compression, thus preventing the wheels and suspension from slamming into the vehicle.

But, Timbrens are bump stops on steroids, in that they stiffen your spring rate, but also decrease suspension travel.

Patrick

·
on line
3,050 Posts
patrick07 said:
miles said:
Traditionally, bump stops are pads that stop the suspension travel at full compression, thus preventing the wheels and suspension from slamming into the vehicle.

But, Timbrens are bump stops on steroids, in that they stiffen your spring rate, but also decrease travel.

Patrick
So these are to replace the bottoming out that I get in the back when I go over a bump?

·
on line
3,050 Posts
So how does it change the bottoming out issue.....does just keep it from metal to metal contact....and bump stop acts like a spring and cushions the impact?

How much are they?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts