Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a few months since I've posted here. Been pretty busy with a new job. Replaced the motor in my drivers side front window a few months ago, a pretty fun install. Never done something like that before.

Now my drivers door speaker, the 6x9 had been on the verge of death for a few months. Starting to crackle and cut in and out, so I did the cheap thing and just had my stock radio put all the output coming out of right side. I don't really mind, I tend to listen to music fairly quietly and am not really an audiophile.

Anyways a couple of weeks ago the speaker finally died in the drivers door and I tell you it sounds horrible. As you drive it rattles like crazy. Imagine someone down there with a tin can and a marble in it rattling it constantly.

I'm trying to figure out a few things:

1. Since I'm fine with the sound from just the right for now and am short on cash can I just take out the drivers side speaker and everything else will still work?

2. If I replace the speaker, and do both front speakers of course, but touch nothing else, what should I look for in a speaker so I know it will work with stock head unit and I won't have to worry about buying and powering up a separate amp? I have a 2006 S without rockford fosgate.

I tell you I've gotten used to the whine of mud tires, but this rattle will give you a headache in a few minutes of driving. Girlfriend says I need to take care of it right away before we go insane on longer trips.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
502 Posts
You can go ahead and take the speaker out. Make sure the wires are properly insulated and will not short inside the door frame. The head unit will be fine, as it will see a very high impedance on the open wires and there won't be any issues, as long as the wires don't short.
When the time does come to replace the front speakers, almost any old 6x9 speaker will do. Since you have stated you are not an audiophile, and listen at low levels, a decent paper cone woofer will work fine.
The Xterra has tweeters up on the dash, so you don't need any of those 2-way or 3-way speakers that many car stereo speakers come with. Look for component 6x9 speakers with a 4 ohm nominal impedance, treated paper cone, from Pioneer or some other common manufacturer.

·
Registered
822 Posts
There are probably hundreds of people on the forum who have swapped out working speakers for aftermarket. If you ask around you could probably get one of their speakers free so you can toss a working one in. CO has plenty of members who I'm sure would help you out.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll keep all that in mind. I think for now I'll just remove the thing and maybe do some sound proofing while I'm in there. Maybe when some CO trail meetups happen during summer I'll put it out there that I'm looking for a stock replacement.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll keep all that in mind. I think for now I'll just remove the thing and maybe do some sound proofing while I'm in there. Maybe when some CO trail meetups happen during summer I'll put it out there that I'm looking for a stock replacement.
just make sure it doesn't short! it could hurt the rest of you're system

·
Registered
13 Posts
Currently have this same exact issue. Couldn't figure out what the rattle was until I removed the door panel this morning and found it was the speaker. Now searching for a stock replacement for that left front speaker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts