Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
on line
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm 16 for the record.

I have an AC shackel lift and TG spacers coming on tuesday and I should be installing them on Saturday. I have jack stands and the tools. My question is, will I be able to do this? Everyone that I have talked to has said that I've lost my mind even thinking about lifting myself. How easy is the Ac shackle lift and the tg spacer?

thanks

·
on line
2,248 Posts
I would venture a guess that most of the people on this board who are running spacers/shackles installed both themselves. There are plenty of tips/tricks and how-to's on here.

I guess ultimately, it depends on how mechanically inclined you are. If you've never done much short of an oil change, it could prove a little more daunting (but definitely not impossible).

If you do it yourself you'll likely feel better about it in the end, and you'll be able to disprove all the nay-sayers.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
like oregon (shawn) said. you definitely can do this yourself. I would have a friend help, or better yet make your dad help you. Thats what I used to do, it was good bonding time even though we always ended up yelling at each other more than helping. Plus when you are new at something two or even three heads are better than one.

Refer to the instructions on this site and read them completely. Go out to your truck with a print out of the instructions and look at all of the components. Make sure you understand each step of what you are doing before you start the job... get a laptop with wireless internet and bring it with you outside (or in the garage) while you are doing the install so if you run into any problems you can get some quick help.

Make sure you have all of the tools necessary before starting the job, and make sure that the suspension components you bought are complete. Sometimes they might be missing some nuts or bolts or something.

You definitly CAN do this!!! At the age of 16, if you can do this... then the sky is the limit as you start to do more and more mods to your truck.

Good luck and if you need some help send me a PM and I will help you out.

·
on line
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Ed!

I just now saw that you're in houston...I'm in corpus!

My dad's not much of the mechanic; however I have pretty good mechanical skills. I raced motocross for a while, and i took apart my bike multiple times. I also have superior electronic skills (not to brag), but I hacked X-boxes throughout middle school. So, I am officially a techy in a way. I have the laptop and that's a great suggestion to take it out with my. My only concern is the weight of the car and the resistance that the leafs will give me. I've learned a great deal of respect for machines and how they work through the years of working with things that move. Not only cars and trucks but also boats. I race singlehanded sailboats and there's always that unexpected event that hurt you because you lost your perspective of how powerful machines can be.

Anyhoo, I am very excited to do this lift. I assume that as soon as I lift it, I need to drive to pep boys to get it aligned?

·
on line
1,127 Posts
Hey Dude Im 18 and I have done all the modifications on both my Xterra's which includes a lift on my new Xterra. I have full confidence that you will be able to do this yourself or with the help of a couple friends. Although One good tool to have is the service manual for your car so you can always torque everything back to factory spec. Out of the two of those IN MY OPINION the shackles are more difficult than the front end. and as long as you take both rear wheels off and jack up the car high enough to allow the the axle to droop with both the rear shock and sway bar disconnected, support the differential with a low jack without putting pressure on it, there wont be any tension left on the shackles and they should come out fairly easily. Have fun with it and just know that you will be extremely glad you did it yourself.

·
on line
245 Posts
The younger crowd's coming out on this topic. I'm 19 and have also done all my mods myself. I installed the Calmini Spacers and Shackles with a buddy of mine who owns an SAS's Tacoma, and while it was nice to have the extra pair of hands to help out, it is definitly something you could knock out on your own. It's a quick install and the site's how to's definitly help.

·
on line
432 Posts
I'm 21 myself. Not exactly the mechanical type but I'm looking forward to doing some of this myself. I'm wanting to start with small mods and work my way up but I think it will be a lot of fun.

Let us know how it goes. =)

- Russell "MrBugman"

·
on line
1,320 Posts
you sound pretty level-headed and realistic so you should be able to do this.
The shackle's can be a bit of a bastard... they're simple in concept but you gotta do some wigglin' and adjusting to get stuff right for them to slide out.
No need to really worry about the rear springs unloading and killing you (they're nothinng like the front springs)... once you start jacking it up you'll see when they're at a workable point.
There's a sticky with torque specs in the "how-to" section; use it!

·
on line
2,077 Posts
yeah, i agree with what everyone else said, you can do this, i installed my lift with NO previous suspension work experience and i knocked it out pretty easily....some of the how-tos really help when it comes to disassembling the front suspension.

·
on line
1,059 Posts
Like others have mentioned. Doing a lift yourself is very doable. I've done many lifts on both first and second gen X's. Although the 2nd gen X's are alot easier than the 1st gens. it's still doable.

Some great tips would be.

Make sure all the parts are there.

Make sure you read the instructions a couple of time (to get familiar with the parts)

Read up on all the forums for extra tips. (alot of times people figure out a better/easier way to do something)

Have a friend or two help ya out. (or try to get someone that's done a lift before help ya out)

Get a list of tools you'll need to get the job done. (If a speacialty tool is needed you can either buy it or borrow one from someone or even get it from a tool rental place. ie AutoZone)

Take safety seriously

Have an extra vehicle handy. (just incase you need to run to a store to get a bolt or something else)

Use Never Seez and or Loctite on all the new hardware being installed. (Never Seez is a anti-seize compound and Loctite is a bonding type adhesive)

PB Blaster (soak down all the nuts and bolts prior to doing any work)

But those are a few of the tips you should follow.
But honestly the parts you are putting on shouldn't cause you much trouble. All of them are fairly easy and you should have it in within no time and out enjoying your new stance.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Shutterman,

One more thing. Lifeinthesouth was dead on when he said that the shackles can be a bit of a bastard. You'll probably end up using a BFH to beat the old ones off once you've got the end of the spring supported and the bolts removed.

You're probably going to find that you need to spread the bars of the new shackles just a bit to fit them over the leaf spring end and bushings. Go to the hardware store and get a couple of cheap bolts (and nuts) that are about 2 - 2.25 inches long. Insert one in one end of the shackle and use a nut to lock it down. Insert the 2nd bolt in the other end and thread it through the nut. Make sure the 2nd nut is all the way against the shackle. Continue to thread the 2nd bolt in until the tip of the bolt is touching the tip of the 1st bolt... like so;

Now throw the open end of a box wrench on that 2nd nut and hold it in place against the shackle bar while using a socket on the 2nd bolt to keep tightening it. As you do so, it will push against the tip of the 1st bolt and cause the bars of the shackle to spread apart. You will want to spread them a little farther than what you actually need, because once you start to reverse that 2nd bolt back out and take some slack out, the bars have a tendency spring back just a little bit.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Oregons idea is great... I wish i would have known to do that (yet another reason why this site is great for noobs).

Here is the way I did it, just so you have another way to look at it.

I took a floor jack (which I strongly suggest you get) and just sort of forced the leafspring into it.... like this.

·
on line
2,072 Posts
I am trying to order my kit from PRG today. Waiting for Greg to call me back.
I am ordering the 2" spacers and the mini deaver AAL.
Wondering if I should get the shackles too? Even if I don't set them for more lift as they are adjustable. I don't plan on new shocks yet.

·
on line
628 Posts
At the lowest setting I'm pretty sure the PRG Shackles are going to give you a bit more height, when used in combination with the Deaver AAL, you may consider doing the whole package (Extended shocks and brake lines) or holding off installing the shackles until you are ready to do so.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts