Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wheeling last night and obviously I got stuck but the problem is that I couldnt get pulled out forward I had to get pulled from the way I came in and I have no recovery points on the rear yet so I ended up having to slipknot a tow strap around my axle. That didnt worry me but I ended up having to get yanked out instead of pulled out. it only took about 4 good pulls to get me loose, but should I worry about any damage to the suspension or the axle. I got the stap as close to the pumpkin as i could so it would distribute evenly.

·
on line
547 Posts
i wouldnt make it a very common practice but if theres no vibrations and everything drives like it used to, i would say your good. my suggestion would be to get a used trailer hitch (theres plenty of people with shrockworks rear bumpers, maybe someone has a hitch for ya).

·
on line
3,218 Posts
" should I worry about any damage to the suspension or the axle"

It sounds like you thought about (and did) the strap placement right, so it's tough to say without witnessing the yanks.. Uhhh, 2 things. 1- doesn't your X have a factory towhook on the passenger side front? 2- if you have the tow hitch, you could've run the strap around the hitch pin and got 'er done too.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Well, evidentally NOTHING broke, BUT--
--By hooking onto your rear axle, you're "SNATCHING" over 4000lbs of vehicle, depending on--

---------4 U-BOLTS----------------

--Not a good idea, you need a rear recovery point, bumper or hitch--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
2,077 Posts
if you have a trailer hitch receiver you can recover from a D-ring shackle or just a standard hitch pin. If you don't have one you can pick up the valley hitch from 4x4parts.com for like $120. it's a pretty cheap recovery point.

·
on line
254 Posts
It isn’t uncommon to not be able to go forward to get out, I’ve mentioned it a few times. Chug has a post about a rear hitch mount winch- smart man in my book. You can even rig a front mount hitch for one but it lowers your clearance on our rigs.

When you go to put on that hitch receiver (either that or a Shrock bumper, but do one or the other) be careful of the nuts tacked on the inside of the frame they don’t always line up. If you bust off the nut by cross threading your in a pickle. If you find out yours are not threaded correctly get a tap and rethread them first. If you can’t find a tap M12 x 1.5 send me a PM and I’ll send you one.

·
on line
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i dont have a hitch on my x thats the only reason i used the axle im wondering if its possible to put shackle plates on the stock rear bumper and possibly use the bolts that hold the bumper to the frame and put longer and stronger ones on. i havent looked at it to see if it would work but what do you guys think. and we tried pulling from the front and it wouldnt budge the mud was like quick sand i actually had to dig out a hole under my axle to get the strap on

·
on line
1,114 Posts
I wouldn't fret over it at this point. You'd know if something was broken by now.

I hope you'll consider getting a good hitch like I used to have:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts