Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
on line
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me some feedback if your running front timbrens and no front sway bar? Do they help at all with sway on turns etc. I'm used to driving with no front sway but there have been some times on the highway that got me a bit nervous.

Also, any reason that any 1000lb rated timbrens wouldn't fit on the front of our rigs? They all look the same and amazon has some for $165, the Nissan spec model is 199 everywhere. I'm guessing only the hardware is different.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Any paticular reason you aren't running the front sway bar? From what I've seen on here, removing the front results in marginal improvement in terms of flex (compared to the rear which offers more). Where as removing the front results in much worse on road manners (vs. the rear).

Timbrens would help, so would stiffer front coils, and so would putting your sway bar back on. For the price of timbrens you could run your sway bar and put quick disconnects on and get the best of both worlds.

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Any paticular reason you aren't running the front sway bar? From what I've seen on here, removing the front results in marginal improvement in terms of flex (compared to the rear which offers more). Where as removing the front results in much worse on road manners (vs. the rear).

Timbrens would help, so would stiffer front coils, and so would putting your sway bar back on. For the price of timbrens you could run your sway bar and put quick disconnects on and get the best of both worlds.

Taking my front sway bar off made a huge improvement off the pavement.
On road I just take corners a hair slower.
I get enough flex out of the front to warrant keeping it off too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
62 Posts
Another one here without the front or rear sway bars with just a 2" spacer lift up front and a shackle in the back at 1.5". Definitely feels better off road and notice the increase in articulation. Truck feels fine on the highway and I only notice the increased lean if I'm driving too hard around turns.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
The X is a top heavy SUV, NOT a sports car. You want to really carve corners get a motorcycle.

Removing the sway bars is not for everyone, Timbrens will help a bit. The best fix for the body roll is an upgraded set of coilovers, and a sensible change to driving style.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Unless your front is already resting on the timbrens they won't help with the body roll, and that probably means you'll have very little up travel. Only once the truck rolls enough to make contact with them will they provide any support. Stiffer coils will reduce body roll.

·
on line
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have radflo 2.5's up front and have for a while. Was just curious on some feedback. I certainly wouldn't suggest no front sway on stock suspension either.
Still considering the front timbrens,just need to take some measurements. Heard back on some other info also,apparently each timbren is sized and made for each application so not just the hardware is different.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
i'm running stock coils up front with the strut spacer and 2" AAL in the rear on mine, before on stock OR bils with rear sway only and now with neither and 5100s and the truck is perfectly fine. yes, there is more body roll, which feels different at first until you realize that the truck still corners the same, just leans more. knock a few mph off your corner speed and theres nearly no difference.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Why don't folks run quick disconnects? Its the best of both worlds...:scratch:

Sincerely hope none of you ever need to pull an emergency lane avoidance maneuver. No sway bars just seem like a recipe for disaster in an X that’s a D&D. Highway speed + tall + top heavy + short-wheel base + no sway bars...

·
Banned
4,806 Posts

Sincerely hope none of you ever need to pull an emergency lane avoidance maneuver. No sway bars just seem like a recipe for disaster in an X that’s a D&D. Highway speed + tall + top heavy + short-wheel base + no sway bars...

They wouldn't keep the seat bar out of the way off road for one.

And with a shrock there's no need for emergency maneuvers. I just run things over.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
7,713 Posts

MOST people that are running coil-overs have more stability then the stock X WITH swaybars.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
MOST people that are running coil-overs have more stability then the stock X WITH swaybars.
Ok, ok... my comment was more for the people that don't run stiffer coilovers.

But really, we all know the answer to any Xterra related question is: AIRBAGS.

·
on line
3,171 Posts

And in the end your insurance company finds out that the sway bars were removed, and then you're on your own with the damages...

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

Quick disconnects do not really work on the front sway bar. I know that some people will disconnect one side to off road. Other will disconnect both but in the position that the bar is in, it seems to have a chance to cause some problems with both disconnected.

And in the end your insurance company finds out that the sway bars were removed, and then you're on your own with the damages...
Umm... I think this is unlikely. While there may be many reasons that your insurance company may try to screw you, they would have a hard time proving this. It is very common practice to change the suspension in all type of vehicles. This includes roll bars, springs, shocks, etc. Are you suggesting that if you don't use exact OEM parts that your insurance company will not pay for a fender bender? So all those Wranglers w/ 35s and 4" lifts effectively have no insurance?

I would not suggest running without the front unless you have aftermarket coil-overs. If you have a Titan Swap you don't have much of a choice but of course then you probably have coil-overs. :D

I think some people might not understand how roll bars work. They just increase your spring rate in corners. They do not stop roll overs. They mostly tune body roll and handling. They may help with some initial body roll in a roll over situation or help you avoid a situation because of better handling but if you get you vehicle in a position that is it likely to tip, that metal bar is not going to make a difference.

ESC (or VDC in our case) does a lot to prevent roll overs and still works without sway bars.

http://consumerreports.org/cro/2012/02/rollover-101/index.htm

1 - 20 of 24 Posts