Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, I plan on picking up a Hi-Lift jack in the very near future and have a couple questions..

What is the general length preference? From what I've gathered, there's a pretty even mix of those who use the 48" and those with the 60". Have any of you 48" users found yourselves needing the extra foot of clearance? I've read the 60" comes in handy for winching.. anyone have experience with this?

There seem to be ton of accessories, which ones (if any) have users found most useful?

Lastly, as I plan on mounting the Hi-Lift to the factory roof rack, are there any options other than Fourtreks and X-towers? (both are on the pricey side)

thanks for the input!

eric

·
on line
896 Posts
you can find a set of 4 x towers on ebay for about $50, but you have to check it regularly. I was looking for these and some weeks they would have it and other weeks they wouldn't, good luck

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Put it under your rear seats, unless you want to climb up and unlatch from the top--

--(interior) march 08-2007 thread

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
4,919 Posts
I have the 48" as it fits across the back of the X so that I don't have to expose it to road salt during the winter. I had it mounted to the roof using Yakima mighty mounts (I believe they were the horizontal ones, $20 for four and you only needed 2 with some modified hardware) but then I got my load warrior, so I mount it to that now. I gave Steve (SEXterraPA) the mighty mounts that I had since I didn't need them anymore, maybe he can take a picture of it for you if it will help.

As far as the foot difference between the two, I didn't feel the need to go with the 60 as my X isn't all that high anyway.

For accessories, I'd definately say get one of the offroad bases and possibly one of the recovery kits if you don't plan on getting a winch.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
I really couldnt see a use for the 60" hi-lift unless you are manual winching.... the 48 is plenty big enough... I got the xtreme hi-lift 48"... which didnt come in that weird red color, but I wouldnt have forked over the extra money for the 'xtreme' edition if i had to do it again. I really dont use it that much.

·
on line
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks fellas! I got an all cast 48" for xmas and will be picking up the off road base and the recovery kit (for those "just in case" situations). I do plan on picking up a winch, but that's a ways down the road.

·
on line
641 Posts
Muzikman said:
I use and need a 60" on my Jeep, but the 48" is fine for the X.
Can you give an example of where the 48" isn't enough for your Jeep, and/or why the 60" is 'more than is needed' for the X?

·
on line
145 Posts
xEDGEx said:
thanks fellas! I got an all cast 48" for xmas and will be picking up the off road base and the recovery kit (for those "just in case" situations). I do plan on picking up a winch, but that's a ways down the road.
Don't spend too much on the base. A square of plywood will work just as well.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
dpatton said:
Muzikman said:
I use and need a 60" on my Jeep, but the 48" is fine for the X.
Can you give an example of where the 48" isn't enough for your Jeep, and/or why the 60" is 'more than is needed' for the X?
With 6" of lift and 35" tires, even with the suspension strapped up, a 48" is near it's limit if I need to lift a tire on the Jeep off the ground.

Personally, I don't think a 60" is too much for the Xterra, and as a matter of fact, I use to have the 60" on the roof of the X before I got the Shrock rear bumper. Now, with a 60" mounted to the Shrock bumper, it stuck up WAY too high. I wouldn't fit in any parking garage. So I got a 48" for the X and put the 60" on the Jeep.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i bought a 60" mainly because i see more potential use for it than a 48"....both are jacks, and can be used the same way, but if i were to use the jack for manual winching i would like the 60" to get more distance before resetting. and i no longer plan to mount on the outside of the truck, i'm thinking on the ceiling up the passenger side....just gotta figure out how to mount.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Please, do your passenger a favor and not mount a 40+ lb chunk of metal to the ceiling. I think they might like their head if you should get into a wreck.

The 60" fits well mounted to the roof rack. Keep it lubed with lithium grease and you'll have no problems with operation. It might rust a little, but it's a jack, not a piece of jewelry. :)

·
on line
2,077 Posts
actually it's 32 lbs. :tongue:

no, in all seriousness, i'm aware of the potential danger, and that's why i haven't done it yet, i had an idea of how to secure it without anyone being in danger, but it seems it will cost more to fabricate then the jack cost.....so.....i'm doubt i'll go that route.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Really, only 32lbs? All the 60" I have seen are 40lb shipping weights. Either way, did you see the Mythbusters where they put the bowling ball on the back deck of a car and crash it? Heavy objects that can easy fly around, especially at head height make me nervous. :)

·
on line
102 Posts
While we're talking about hi-lifts, do you need to have sliders to use one, or will it work with the frame jack point? I'm not near my X right now, otherwise I'd go look, but I remember the factory frame points as being pretty far in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts