Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are as useful as racing slicks in light snow. I believe it's because there is no siping on the tread. Unless the tread (thick knobs) have enough snow to dig into the tires are basically riding on the flat, smooth tops of the treads. Made for an interesting ride home in the 2'' dusting we got yesterday.

·
on line
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you just stay alert and drive extra slow you can avoid a lot of the slipping and sliding. One time was something that really being careful and on the ball couldn't help, and I thought that time I was going to be making a call the my insurance company to explain how my truck wound up against a tree.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You know, I keep hearing that they suck in snow, but I have had no problems at all. Sure the AT's are probably better, but I can't complain.

I am sure some sipes would help though. Which the KMII's have.

·
on line
376 Posts
Mine worked great in the inch or 2 we got in Mississippi last month. I even got to pull some people out the ditch.

·
on line
735 Posts
Our old work truck got real touchy on the ice when we put dunlop mud rovers on it. Didn't you gett 255/85's? Anyhow, I think I did find some in that size that were a general purpose AT tread-try the search by size on 'the tire rack'.

If I were you, I'd consider a second set of steel x trim wheels for the mudders and hav another set in AT for your everyday rubber.

·
on line
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It wasn't enough of a problem for me to worry about too much because we honestly don't get enough snow to raise a brow over. The snow I was in was just not enough to get up into the tread. I'm sure with a deeper snow I'd probably have no problem.

·
on line
2,125 Posts
If I were you, I'd consider a second set of steel x trim wheels for the mudders and hav another set in AT for your everyday rubber.
thats what i want to do... holy shit i have a lot on my to do list but no money to do any of it lol... guess i got to take it slowly one mod at a time.

·
on line
245 Posts
I have the BFG MT's and they work fine in snow for me. It's more something to get used to than any type of problem in my opinion. I know that America's Tire Company will sipe them for you upon purchase because one of my buddies had to done. I'm not sure if they will do it after they've been driven on though.

·
on line
358 Posts
You can have tires siped after you have driven on them. We had ours siped and they are great.

·
on line
496 Posts
Having used both the BFG AT and MT ( on different trucks, but still ) and having snow in Canada under all kinds or forms, with ice , without, etc... for a long time during the year, I can say the following: Overall in winter way better with the AT big difference on the road. Now for deep deep snow, I felt the MT was easily at least as good, but overall everyday driving in snow, definitely the AT ( MT is very scary sometimes on light snow or ice ) .

·
on line
1,695 Posts
This is one of the two main reasons I don't stick a set of 255/85 MT's on the Xterra. It is the wife's daily driver, and don't want her to have to "learn" how to drive in the snow/ice with a MT. She hates the weather enough as it is, and I want her to be safe driving to and from work in some of the nasty spots out here. More biting edges help in light snow/ice... that is why siping helps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts