Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just took the X to Firestone to get the coolant flushed and on the drive home, noticed the AC doesn't work.

:scratch::scratch:
Fan blows air, at all settings, but it's just the ambient air temperature. The AC light turns on when I push the button, but the compressor does NOT.

I took it back immediately and we checked the fuses, the pressure, refrigerant level, all checks out. The only thing I can think it might be is the resistor card - but I put a new one in maybe 2 months ago. It's possible that one was a dud, but I doubt it.

Anyways, getting a new one this morning and will see if this works.

Anything else I should be looking for? I checked the coolant level and it looks to be just right. No bubbles or anything either.

:dontknow::dontknow:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
This may seem silly, but did you check the electrical connector and wires to the compressor? Engine coolant and air conditioning systems are unrelated, so I would guess your firestone mechanic bumped the electrical connector or one of the wires loose while flushing the coolant.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This may seem silly, but did you check the electrical connector and wires to the compressor? Engine coolant and air conditioning systems are unrelated, so I would guess your firestone mechanic bumped the electrical connector or one of the wires loose while flushing the coolant.
This may sound silly but...I'm not sure which part is the compressor? I've never really looked for it before.

He says he didn't touch anything, just the drain and fill plugs. Then this morning when I went in to get the resistor swapped out, they tried to charge me $182. I basically told them to F*** off and there's no way I'm paying $182 for a $50 part and a 2 minute job.

I'm going to to phone around to some local autozones to see if anyone has the resistor card.

In the meantime I'll check for any connections that look like they're loose or not conencted.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I don't think it is the resistor card- that controls the fan, not the AC compressor. You said your fan is working fine.

The compressor is on the front left side of the engine (as you are facing it with the hood open), driven by the serpentine belt. It has a complicated looking pulley wheel which is electrically clutchable. I suspect that is not "clutching in" on due to a loose or unplugged connector preventing current from reaching the compressor clutch.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
If you can find a friend, with the X running and AC off, get close to the front passenger side of the X with the hood up. Have the friend turn on the AC. You should hear a definite click of the AC compressor kicking in, and it will likely actually drag the idle down a little. I can actually here mine inside the car, but I know what it sounds like so it might be easier if your outside.

If its not clicking in they likely moved or bumped a connector and its not getting signal. If it clicks in but its not pumping cold air, then you have a different issue.

·
on line
2,044 Posts
when replacing my radiator.. mechanic broke the a/c switch on battery side..... open the hood and look for that odd round switch.... see if its broken

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when replacing my radiator.. mechanic broke the a/c switch on battery side..... open the hood and look for that odd round switch.... see if its broken
Dude!!!

So after a 38 C (100F!!) hot-ass drive today from New Orleans to Little Rock...holy ****. I thought my dog was going to die. I had to pull over a few times and give her ice cubes from the cooler. Windows down the whole time, still so hot.

Anyways, I'm just outside Little Rock now. Looked around the site some more, and xterramex I found one of your older posts saying the same thing.

I looked under my hood and found the Refrigerant Pressure Sensor is hanging together by a thread - this HAS to be it.

Of course, the switch seems to only be about $25 online, but you have to discharge the whole AC system. I'm really hoping a local dealership a) has the part in stock and b) isn't going to bend me over. I can't do another drive like this without the AC..I've got about 4 more days of driving left.

There appear to be 3 nissan dealerships within about a 25 mile radius from the La Quinta I'm staying at, and all of them are closed until tomorrow morning. Kind of freaking out because we have a long drive we need to do tomorrow too, so I guess I just have to pick one and go with it??

Have a look at this photo and tell me what you think:

And let me say again F YOU FIRESTONE. Seriously.

·
Registered
434 Posts
its on the high side that I can tell. Does any one have a schematic? There are 3 wires, i'm sure there is a way to by-pass it. Probably runs the compressor and fan.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its on the high side that I can tell. Does any one have a schematic? There are 3 wires, i'm sure there is a way to by-pass it. Probably runs the compressor and fan.
According to the FSM what it does is check to see if there's pressure in the AC unit, and if not, it won't allow the compressor to fire.

So, I figure since the connector is clearly broken, it's essentially telling the computer that there's no pressure - even though the pressure is just fine.

The FSM says to fix it you have to discharge the refrigerant, thread in the new sensor, then re-charge the system.

The wires that go to the connector look fine - but as you mention on the high side, you can tell it's busted - that looks to me more like a ribbon cable you might see in a computer or an iphone or something, and it's 3/4's of the way torn. Not sure how you'd go about jumping it...but any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Does anyone know how much it costs to have the refrigerant purged and refilled?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was calling around for quotes last week to have a purge and refill. They run anywhere from $150-$300. Ironically, Firestone was the cheapest for this service.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Do you have the receipt from the last Firestone? A local one might honor your issue and do the job for free if so...

It's worth checking in to. I would absolutely go to Firestone over a dealership.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Do you have the receipt from the last Firestone? A local one might honor your issue and do the job for free if so...

It's worth checking in to. I would absolutely go to Firestone over a dealership.
Would love to, but the receipt doesn't say 'oops we broke his AC', so I don't really have proof it was them. I'm sitting outside of North Little Rock Nissan right now waiting for them to open and hoping for the best. I figure a dealership is my best shot of someone actually having the part in stock, and I seriously am concerned about how my dog has breathing and panting so heavy in the X yesterday.. And I've got another long drive today.

Here's hoping they don't completely rape my wallet. I will call Firestone (and leave a scathing review online) though. Most expensive coolant flush I've ever had.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Just explain they broke the high pressure switch off doing the flush if not Can it be pushed back in to make some sort of contact to engage the compressor clutch ?

Poor dog hope she's ok . They dont take well to the heat.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
$300. Confirmed its the switch and they have to do a recharge of the system. Bald. They're savi g the part and writing up that it was clearly busted when the coolant flush took place, and save the busted sensor for me. I'm gonna call Firestone and give them a chance to make good but I doubt anything will come of it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alrighty - they managed to get me out of the door for $284 including taxes and it only took them a little over an hour after they got it into the garage.

Thanks everyone for all your help. That AC is blowing COLD now!

North Little Rock Nissan is the place to go if you're in the area..they were super friendly, courteous and saved my ass today.

I'll keep this thread updated if anything happens with Firestone. For now it's time to hit the road for another 8 hours of driving...ugh.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am having the same problem. I had to change the radiator, and I broke the piece by mistake. Does anyone knows how to bypass that sensor? I just need a couple of day to get a mechanic and do it the correct way!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I am having the same problem. I had to change the radiator, and I broke the piece by mistake. Does anyone knows how to bypass that sensor? I just need a couple of day to get a mechanic and do it the correct way!
You could jump it with a paper clip to get the compressor clutch to engage and tape it up ...but i dont recomend doing this . Do you need A/C for a few more days (hot weather ) ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts